The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 19 players - Oct. 08, 2022

28 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Makes me wonder if the Dickinson trade happened a day later, the Canucks could've traded Dickinson and lower draft pick to Chicago , not get Stillman and pick up Valimaki off waivers instead? 

No the cost of trading Dickinson was a 2nd.

Stillman had little value in the trade. It had to be worth Chicago’s time to take on salary and a 3rd pick or later doesn’t do that.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

Mark Friedman, RHD, Pittsburgh Penguins

26, 5’11”, 185lb, $775K AAV

League
Team
Games
Goals
Assists
NHL
Pittsburgh
Call Friedman the least exciting, but perhaps most practical pickup on the list. He’s been a borderline NHLer since 2019, and plays a safe, simple game that is best suited for the bottom pairing. Friedman skates well, defends effectively, and doesn’t get cute with the puck very often. He’s not a long-term solution by any means, but if the Canucks are looking for someone to eat a few extra minutes on the right side of their blueline, Friedman is a safe bet to do so.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

League
Team
Games
Goals
Assists
NHL
Pittsburgh
Call Friedman the least exciting, but perhaps most practical pickup on the list. He’s been a borderline NHLer since 2019, and plays a safe, simple game that is best suited for the bottom pairing. Friedman skates well, defends effectively, and doesn’t get cute with the puck very often. He’s not a long-term solution by any means, but if the Canucks are looking for someone to eat a few extra minutes on the right side of their blueline, Friedman is a safe bet to do so.

I bet this is who the Canucks pick up

Man it just feels like no matter what, we can't even win in waiver wire pickups. Just another example of why it really is terrible to finish in the middle of the pack. It gets you nowhere. You want to improve your team yet you have to wait for 15 other teams to pass on a player. Anyone who thinks just missing the playoffs is a good thing doesn't understand all the other ramifications either. When the team is excited about picking up a player like Riley Stillman from a last place Chicago team, it says enough about the status of the Canucks d. I will be surprised if we don't lose Wolanin who I thought was great during the preseason. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

32 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

League
Team
Games
Goals
Assists
NHL
Pittsburgh

I think we’re done collecting bottom pair guys with little upside. We have enough of those and even extras on the farm. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Man it just feels like no matter what, we can't even win in waiver wire pickups. Just another example of why it really is terrible to finish in the middle of the pack. It gets you nowhere. You want to improve your team yet you have to wait for 15 other teams to pass on a player. Anyone who thinks just missing the playoffs is a good thing doesn't understand all the other ramifications either. When the team is excited about picking up a player like Riley Stillman from a last place Chicago team, it says enough about the status of the Canucks d. I will be surprised if we don't lose Wolanin who I thought was great during the preseason. 

Wolanin is just a borderline NHL D-man which is why he got waived 2-3 times last season!!

56 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

League
Team
Games
Goals
Assists
NHL
Pittsburgh

Yay for borderline pickups! I still can't believe how hard it's been to add impact players to this group on d but considering what we don't have to offer other teams I guess it is what it is.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Kale Clague is interesting. Maybe we take a flyer on Valimaki though.

Nows the time to experiment with some of these younger guys. Maybe we find a gem in another teams castoff.

Might be worth it to keep waiting though. Seems like the talent will get better and better closer to the roster deadline.

That what I was thinking is why we haven't picked up a young big rhd as there might be a better one in the next few days.If not we missed out.

• Vintage 1