The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

38 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought Lazar looked pretty good, he's a good pickup. 

Aman's speed stood out, but he's a pretty low event player (fine for a 4th liner).

Joshua didn't do much, also didn't play much.

Lazar brought some hustle. Åman is pretty meh. He's not a 4th liner on a winning team IMO. I like Joshua in the preseason, and am optimistic he will bring more. Motte on the wing of Joshua and Lazar would have been solid.

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

There were a lot of good things last night, I agree, but either they fix the defensive lapses and game management issues or this team is going nowhere again. It's as simple as that. Petey, Bo, Miller, and whoever have to get it through their minds that the PP is not there for them to pad their stats and look like stars, there is still a hockey game going on. At that point their biggest priority/only priority is (should be) don't get scored on. If they don't give up yet another shorty at the worst of times and go into the third up 3-2 we're most likely looking at OT at the very least, possibly a win, and at the very least a point. This is what good teams do regularly and we struggle with on a shift by shift basis.

Petey is by far the worst at this, whether it's coaching or poor leadership, the next step for me is to take him off the PP until he learns. He does this once or twice a game at least. My biggest fear is no one is even approaching the topic and with Miller giving the puck away at every opportunity too he's not getting many good examples from the veterans.

I don't mean to come off overly negative but that's how I deal with a loss. Look at what you can do to best fix the issues for the next game and future. Like I said, it's only one game but if we don't learn how to be responsible with decision making nothing else will matter. Maybe they need to put OEL on the PP and scrap the 4th forward. It's a sad thought to even have to go there.

Obviously special teams was the issue again but it's a reflection of the team's mental approach to the game itself.

the defensive lapses or other gaffers were more on the F group, not the d group ironically. 

The Canucks should have been able to convert at least one more PP goal out of all that, and at least get a point from last night. 

This could be the kick in the ass the team leaders need to stay more focused on the PP in particular. 

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d take Lammikko over Aman and Highmore over Joshua. Our 4th line was fine. It didn’t need to be scrapped completely. We could have just added Lazar and we would have been good to go. 

Id take Highmore too.  Lammiko was solid under Bruce.  Lets give Lazar and Aman a chance.  Joshua looks big but I dont know if he has the skillset to be an everyday player.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

just can't get over that missed high sticking call ....  if that had happened to the best player on their team , I wonder what everyone would be talking about this morning ...

Same with Nurse’s blindside high hit on Burroughs. If that happened to either of them our guy gets 5 and a game, and instead of clueless talking heads like Anthony Stewart saying it was a good penalty, he’d be pissing his pants calling for a lengthy suspension. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I can’t think of two more frivolous determinants of success than the Color of the Jersey and the wearer of the C. 
If these professional athletes cannot get motivated to play hard it is not Bo’s fault. That is some specious reasoning. 
Running backwards and turning into the 70s Flyers is not going to win us games. 
Maybe the team Benning put together isn’t that good and Allvin has barely done anything to change it at this point. 
Maybe they just lost a game. 

Maybe its because attitudes like this is why we are Cup less?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d take Lammikko over Aman and Highmore over Joshua. Our 4th line was fine. It didn’t need to be scrapped completely. We could have just added Lazar and we would have been good to go. 

4 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Lazar brought some hustle. Åman is pretty meh. He's not a 4th liner on a winning team IMO. I like Joshua in the preseason, and am optimistic he will bring more. Motte on the wing of Joshua and Lazar would have been solid.

You guys are down in Aman eh? Highmore & Lammikko were very ineffective after Motte was traded.

It's early but I kinda like Aman more than Highmore, both are fast (and don't do much else) but Aman has size whereas Highmore was small, and Aman can play C.

He's also alot faster than Lammikko who wasn't anything special either. Keep in mind Aman is only 22, he's still young & adjusting.

I'm optimistic about Joshua too but he has shown the least so far. 

• Cheers 1

To me, the absolute worst thing from last night is that complete Edmonton homer analyst Anthony Stewart repeatedly calling Nurse's hit on Burroughs "questionable" after the game. He even commended Nurse for the hit and credited him for bringing the team into the game. 

It was an obvious penalty which was called. The league has fined Nurse, and he is calling it questionable and commending him for stepping up.

There should be some response to Stewarts comments encouraging this type of dirty play.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

41 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree 100%   The Stoic-Passive Swedish leadership style - with emphasis on "Finese" play - rather than grit and fortitude will never take us to the promised land.    You can see that same stype in Petterson and I sure hope he never becomes our captain, otherwise we'll see the continuation of that ineffective leadership style that has failed us for over two decades and counting.  Too bad that the Sedins "Neutered" Horvat because he once had some feistiness and bravado in his blood but is now just another passive/polite swedish pseudo offspring.   I hope and suspect that JR, Alvin and "The Chipmunk Girls" have recognixed this and will do what we all know what needs to be done!

This and the "we will get them back on PP" BS ! Never worked in 2011 and definitely didn't work last night.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You guys are down in Aman eh? Highmore & Lammikko were very ineffective after Motte was traded.

It's early but I kinda like Aman more than Highmore, both are fast (and don't do much else) but Aman has size whereas Highmore was small, and Aman can play C.

He's also alot faster than Lammikko who wasn't anything special either. Keep in mind Aman is only 22, he's still young & adjusting.

I'm optimistic about Joshua too but he has shown the least so far. 

10 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Aman has played one game ffs

I mean I hope I am wrong and he turns out to be a great 4th liner, possibly more..

He is still very young and is likely adjusting to the NHL game. I just don't think he's there yet for a permanent 4th line gig.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Id take Highmore too.  Lammiko was solid under Bruce.  Lets give Lazar and Aman a chance.  Joshua looks big but I dont know if he has the skillset to be an everyday player.

In the preseason I took some flak for merely saying that "I will reserve judgement until I see him play", and that I wasn't so quick to rah-rah and rave about him. I agree, that he may not have the items in his toolbox that are needed to succeed in the show.

And while last night was just one game, and he did only have limited minutes (the coach didn't see enough from him perhaps?) he didn't show much at all.

He didn't need tons of ice time to make a statement either, so that argument (inre his limited TOI) from some is moot; Just one shift was enough for him to staple a guy to the boards, or be a bulldog out there, but to reiterate, he did not look like an NHL'er last night at all.

Offseason - Canucks added some grit and toughness! 

Game 1 - Canucks got pushed around by McDavid, Kane and Nurse, and there was no pushback

Is this the Canucks culture and identity?  "You better watch it! We'll play you fairly and with good sportsmanship darn it!" 

• Haha 2

Each team played well for ~30min. Their special teams were good, and ours sucked. That's the difference.

I also though we played D collectively as a team quite well in the first half, and then forgot how to play hockey in the second half.

Address some issues in practice. Onto the next one.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Anyone who is deeper and more experienced than us will easily take care of these bums. Glorified AHL team without McDavid and Draisaitl and it should be obvious to anyone who doesn’t live in Alberta. 

The need to change the draft system, No team should be able to drat number 1 so many times in a such a short period of time.

• Haha 1

It would be interesting to see someone keep track of players "game by game" performances as in "who played well" that night and "who was invisible". I think we would be surprised and have a different opinion of some players by the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I would literally take a 7-0 loss at home if someone puts nurse through the freakin glass - absolutely hate that guy this year.  Remember when Bo actually fought him, musta been like his 1-2 year i think. Not sure what happened to the Bo that seemed to care consistently as a captain. 

Anyway i turned that game off after the 2nd - was too pissed off, and after the PP miss on hughes and the the Nurse leveler - you knew how it was gonna go, make up PP's and McDrai were gonna find a way to score in the 3rd and we were gonna turtle like we always do - which i assume from the score sheet is what happened. 

Coil are truely a terrible team with 2 absolute superstars and a PP that is designed to utilize them well. Outside of that they are absolute guff. 

For the first 2 periods we did play some really good hockey, and kept them contained.  The top 3 lines all look dangerous and the 4th looked tough. 

Problem is still D Core, special teams and mental toughness again. Hopefully we can work through the first two as the season progresses but its been a habitual problem of the core.  The D core really do get exposed by McDrai always. Hughes isn't strong enough to stay with them and the rest are all too slow and turn like a super tanker.  Right hand D of Schenn, Poolman, Burr isn't gonna get us to the play offs.. No idea how we ever fix this, but our F group has to be a lot more clinical to out score that deficiency. 

Yeah I tuned out and went to bed after the second as well. Seen this story enough. The D-core is pathetic. Like you say that right hand side are like super oil tankers speed and mobility wise. Yet some people don't see that as a problem. :sadno: Can it ever be fixed? I don't know how either. We're basically the Oilers trying to outscore our deficiencies. They're just better at it. We're almost the Flyers of the last 25 years desperately trying to find a goalie except with us its RD.

5 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

The need to change the draft system, No team should be able to drat number 1 so many times in a such a short period of time.

"The Canucks joined the NHL in 1970 and are the longest-serving NHL team to never have the top pick in the draft."
https://thehockeywriters.com/teams-that-have-never-picked-1st-overall-in-nhl-draft/