The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta wonder if he’s got a nagging injury from preseason.

If that’s the case they need to sit him. We have center depth no use having him at 80% all season.

I don't think so, an injury doesn't cause the laissez faire attitude we see from him now and again.  He's a big personality and when he's on, he can carry the team and when he's down he drags the team down with him.  Right now he's down.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, an injury doesn't cause the laissez faire attitude we see from him now and again.  He's a big personality and when he's on, he can carry the team and when he's down he drags the team down with him.  Right now he's down.

I mean a groin injury would keep him from being able to play at his best which would lead to frustration and that poor body language we’ve seen.

We don’t need guys to be heroes this season regardless. If guys aren’t 100% then sit out. We have the depth up front now to weather that.

23 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

pRe-SEasOn DosEn't MAttEr!!!

That's what everyone kept yelling at me when I expressed concern about how in shambles this group looked.

Pre-season results dont matter. They don't count for squat.

Pre-season is best used to evaluate players that can step into the line up and to try different systems. 

We didn't have any games in the pre-season that dressed a line up close to our actual nhl roster until the last two.

In which we went 2-0.

We do need to play better but it hasn't been as bad as some people are moaning about.

I usually wait for about a 10-15 game sample to see what we have. 

Maybe it’s because of last season’s experience, but I’m not pressing the panic button yet.

I also want to push back on the criticism of Hoglander. His effort is obviously there each and every shift (that can’t be taught) and maybe some people have forgotten, but he’s only had basically a season and a third in the NHL. Most of it played amidst the COVID pandemic with all sorts of delays and changes. Sometimes it takes guys time to figure things out and we expect him to be perfect with all the extra challenges he’s had to face compared to basically any other prospect the Canucks have had ever in their history? Talk about unrealistic expectations. Keep in mind, he’s also only 21 years old. He’s a newbie still to the top level of hockey.

Not every prospect can just jump into the NHL and be effective. Hughes, Pettersson and Podkolzin are the exceptions, not the rule. He’ll figure things out this year as he now finally has a full season to be able to learn and grow without interruptions. Quote me on that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean a groin injury would keep him from being able to play at his best which would lead to frustration and that poor body language we’ve seen.

We don’t need guys to be heroes this season regardless. If guys aren’t 100% then sit out. We have the depth up front now to weather that.

A groin injury doesn't explain lazy passes and lazy plays.  The good news is, he will be on the upside again and will be back to being a play driver and passionate player.......hopefully it's sooner, rather than later.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Borderline Canuck said:

One bright side was the play of the 4th line.  Even Bruce said they played good.  Lazar was good as usual.  Joshua look more involved and Aman was good.  I'm warming to Aman.  He seems to have gotten better every game he's played.  Small steps but steps forward.

Yeah I agree on that. Our fourth line has kept the puck out of their net and doesn't get knocked around while being fast enough to keep up to the play. Aman has looked just fine too. I eventually see Joshua getting some press box duties once in awhile. He's only had 30 games once last year ... but he's a big player which is good. Lazar looks like he's dialed in which is great.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

This. If Horvat prices himself out, I sincerely hope they don't make Miller captain. I like the guy, but it's evident he's moody on the ice. I can't think of another star player who can look so casual and uninterested in the game when he's having an off night. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Pre-season results dont matter. They don't count for squat.

Pre-season is best used to evaluate players that can step into the line up and to try different systems. 

We didn't have any games in the pre-season that dressed a line up close to our actual nhl roster until the last two.

In which we went 2-0.

We do need to play better but it hasn't been as bad as some people are moaning about.

I usually wait for about a 10-15 game sample to see what we have. 

Yes, it has. It's been an absolutely terrible start to the season. This team preached about having a strong start to the season, and then the leadership group shows up completely lack luster and cost us wins. If this trend continues for 10-15 games we'll be exactly where we were last season and it will be too late.

Hopefully this team pulls their head out of the sand, because as much as preseason results don't matter, the start of the season does. These last 2 games have been an absolute failure.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Maybe it’s because of last season’s experience, but I’m not pressing the panic button yet.

I also want to push back on the criticism of Hoglander. His effort is obviously there each and every shift (that can’t be taught) and maybe some people have forgotten, but he’s only had basically a season and a third in the NHL. Most of it played amidst the COVID pandemic with all sorts of delays and changes. Sometimes it takes guys time to figure things out and we expect him to be perfect with all the extra challenges he’s had to face compared to basically any other prospect the Canucks have had ever in their history? Talk about unrealistic expectations. Keep in mind, he’s also only 21 years old. He’s a newbie still to the top level of hockey.

Not every prospect can just jump into the NHL and be effective. Hughes, Pettersson and Podkolzin are the exceptions, not the rule. He’ll figure things out this year as he now finally has a full season to be able to learn and grow without interruptions. Quote me on that.

If anything, last year's experience should be causing us to be very concerned because it was the slow start that sank the season

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't agree or buy into this mentality.

Back when the 2011 was killing it, they had "the" Sedins leading the way. And Bieksa was a guy in the forefront also leading the way.  Lu, Burr and Kes were leaders in their own rights. 

I don't see Bo and Miller being an issue...and, if they are, whoever has an issue with it is likely the one who we need to step away. But I don't think that's the case (at all)...I feel like it's our fanbase reaching for "answers" and creating drama. It's always something/someone's fault but that kind of thinking is finger pointing. No one needs that. Fire/get rid of/blahblahblah.....   Next victim in the queue.

Leaders don't feel threatened when others step up...it actually reflects well on their leadership when that happens and a true leader would understand that.

I don't know I don't think that group was all together either. They faced adversity and no one stepped up. Kess tried for one series. They were just as shaky and nearly lost the series before they made it to the final. I don't think Kess and the Sedins were on the same page either, similar to Miller and Bo.

15 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

That's a nice looking second powerplay group - except for getting beat clean off every faceoff.

Surprisingly (in limited sample), both Pearson and Boeser are at 50% on the faceoff dot these 2 games.

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

This. If Horvat prices himself out, I sincerely hope they don't make Miller captain. I like the guy, but it's evident he's moody on the ice. I can't think of another star player who can look so casual and uninterested in the game when he's having an off night. 

Yes, it has. It's been an absolutely terrible start to the season. This team preached about having a strong start to the season, and then the leadership group shows up completely lack luster and cost us wins. If this trend continues for 10-15 games we'll be exactly where we were last season and it will be too late.

Hopefully this team pulls their head out of the sand, because as much as preseason results don't matter, the start of the season does. These last 2 games have been an absolute failure.

If Horvat goes, it's gotta be Petey.  This is his team after Bo, imo.

I honestly wouldn't even give Miller a letter......not because he isn't a leader, but because I think it adds an extra element of pressure I don't think he needs.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

Burroughs reminds me a lot of Bieksa, I think our right side isn't actually terrible when healthy, we literally just need a Severson type of guy to solidify that right side and after that, I don't really see what else we need. maybe I'm being naive tho lol idk

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, BPA said:

Coincidentally, these are the players some posters want gone.

:mellow:

I think they are a good fit.

none of them are speedsters, so will go up and down the ice as a group.

Grinder, puck carrier, and sniper, so they all know their role.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If anything, last year's experience should be causing us to be very concerned because it was the slow start that sank the season

Yeah I’m still not panicking. It’s been 2 games. If we go on a 10-3 run no one’s going to be talking about or caring about these first two games. At the 10 game mark if we still have a bad record then I’ll start to subscribe to the “here we go again, only this time under a different coach, maybe it’s the players” mantra.

Just now, stawns said:

If Horvat goes, it's gotta be Petey.  This is his team after Bo, imo.

I honestly wouldn't even give Miller a letter......not because he isn't a leader, but because I think it adds an extra element of pressure I don't think he needs.

I agree with Petey, but I'd also strongly consider Hughes. I love the way Hughes conducts himself on the ice.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

A groin injury doesn't explain lazy passes and lazy plays.  The good news is, he will be on the upside again and will be back to being a play driver and passionate player.......hopefully it's sooner, rather than later.

Sometimes you play down to the level of your linemates.  With Podkolzin and Garland I am hoping this re-energizes Miller and allows him not to have to be the guy on the line trying to do too much.

Miller had great chemistry with Podkolzin last year and Podz is great defensively as well so he can definitely help Miller out in that regard.  The proof is in the pudding though, so I guess we will find out tomorrow what kind of difference his new linemates make to his overall game...