The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Right... He's only disinterested when he turns the puck over. 

You guys don't get him at all.

It's not "disinterest....more disgust. Mostly directed at self. But he, himself, knows he has to curb those emotions a bit...he's talked about it. But also that the thing that has him wear his heart on his sleeve, even when it's a heavy heart, is the raw emotion and passion that also drives his game and play on the edge. It's a fine line and there's a balance to be struck. But to try to play with less emotion and curb those reactions is a tricky deal because it's just him being "all in"...in a good and a bad way. Disinterest is completely off the mark. 100%

I'm not worried about him. At all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

^Use your words, doxm. Did you hear the interview where he addressed "giving up on plays" and the emotion in his game?

I'll find it for you if you need a resource. (Later, I'm getting ready to go out)

Oh, never mind...I see what's up:

Flames are slowly turning me into a big fan.

(you got Tanev and Markstrom....you're not getting Miller)

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Can we just name the Pearson-Horvat-Boeser line the "Tug Boat Line" !     I think that perfectly describes them.

Little Toot - Great Old Cartoon Little Toot, little tugboat, tugboat, tug boat, cartoons for kids, children's cartoons, disney, mali remorker, remorker discover-tug boat GIFCartoons Boating GIF - Cartoons Boating GIFsTugs GIF - Tugs GIFs

I was named after a tug boat (true story...my Dad was a fisherman and he named me)

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You guys don't get him at all.

It's not "disinterest....more disgust. Mostly directed at self. But he, himself, knows he has to curb those emotions a bit...he's talked about it. But also that the thing that has him wear his heart on his sleeve, even when it's a heavy heart, is the raw emotion and passion that also drives his game and play on the edge. It's a fine line and there's a balance to be struck. But to try to play with less emotion and curb those reactions is a tricky deal because it's just him being "all in"...in a good and a bad way. Disinterest is completely off the mark. 100%

I'm not worried about him. At all.

I saw zero "all in" Miller the first 2 games of this season. You can say disinterested is completely off the mark, but so far this season that's not true. It's likely he turns it around and becomes the player he was last year, but no matter how you cut it his play has been terrible this year so far. It's been shocking how often he has made a lazy play and turned over the puck followed by zero effort to right his mistake.

• Cheers 1

I’m only slightly concerned. This is a completely fixable problem. This is special teams we are talking about and primarily the PP. We arent struggling to score 5v5, so thats a positive. Our PP is failing to execute, which with a couple tweaks could be all we need. We also aren’t realistically going to give up a short handed goal every game. As for the PK, that first game against edmonton I’m not really concerned, the first goal was a horrendous missed call that turned a 5v4 into a 5v3 and confusion on the ice. The 2nd goal was such a quick play that no one had time to get backdoor to stop the onetimer, thats not really a system issue thats just a very quickly executed play which an adjustment can be made. 3 passes in less than a second and a shot. Not every PP is going to go that smoothe against us. Their last PP was a 5v5 empty netter. So really the PK looks worse than it really is. Last game we allowed 1 PP goal out of 5. Thats not terrible. 

I’d be worried if we werent getting chances and scoring 5v5, thats way harder to correct and overcome. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Maginator said:

I'm not worried. We're only 2 games in. I have hope we can right the ship. 

Playoffs will be a fricken squeeze and this team really needs to battle to get in, but I have hope it'll happen.

I'm worried.

And as a long-suffering fan, I've set the bar higher than just "hope it'll happen". My expectations are much higher than that.

We don't have the luxury to yet again sit back and watch how it all unfolds. It would be a catastrophic failure (as coach BB put it) if we were to not make the playoffs and be on the outside looking in yet again this year.

Wouldn't it be nice to come storming out of the gates for once, and by Christmas or even the TDL be in a worry free, solid playoffs position? Shouldn't we expect that? If not now, WHEN? Always having the insurmountable and uphill battle every year just to squeak in is brutal. We deserve more.

Management needs to be proactive and start kicking ass. This isn't that big of an ask. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This line-up is way better. If Bo's the third line center it works having Pearson down there. He's not talented or fast enough to play top 6 at this point in his career. In my opinion of course.

you are correct, imo. Pearson is a 3rd liner now for sure. 

Its interesting to look at that lineup configuration.... its pretty hard not to see Bo's line as the one that is most ripe for a major shake up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I don't agree or buy into this mentality.

Back when the 2011 was killing it, they had "the" Sedins leading the way. And Bieksa was a guy in the forefront also leading the way.  Lu, Burr and Kes were leaders in their own rights. 

I don't see Bo and Miller being an issue...and, if they are, whoever has an issue with it is likely the one who we need to step away. But I don't think that's the case (at all)...I feel like it's our fanbase reaching for "answers" and creating drama. It's always something/someone's fault but that kind of thinking is finger pointing. No one needs that. Fire/get rid of/blahblahblah.....   Next victim in the queue.

Leaders don't feel threatened when others step up...it actually reflects well on their leadership when that happens and a true leader would understand that.

Completely understand what your saying, however there is a big difference between the 2011 group and current. 

All of those players you mentioned had the ability at any point to completely take over a game. They inspired teammates to be better, to step up etc.. because they themselves did that. 

Also the Sedins were both league leading scorers in the same time period essentially. They were all leaders who were leading but there's was no doubt on the ice or in the room that the Sedins together were the leaders. Kes, Burr, Juice were the perfect supporting cast, and it takes a strong leader to create strong followers.

Compare to current. I'm sorry but Bo is not a strong Captain because he has no strong followers. So right now you have a leader who is not leading by example (Bo), and another leader who is struggling (Miller). Right now there is no leader and as a result there is no strong supporting cast.

Personal feelings aside, can you think of one time in the past year where Bo has noticeably stepped up or changed his play mid game in an effort to rally the team?

2 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Wonder what would happen if we went 0-5 to start the season? And then win 10-0? Do we chalk it up to bad start as a signature of the team? Or is it a sign that the individuals on the team, though good on their own, aren't good together?

Based on past history viewings. It seems like the individuals are not suited well together. But whatever. Story of the Canucks. Never great and never good

Agree 100%    This team is made up of completely incompatible players.     Until the new management figures out what most of us have known for years, we will continue to struggle.   Don Taylor (from Donnie & Dhali show) and many other older, wiser and more experienced hockey pundits can see in plain sight - that we have a bunch of square, round and triangular pieces (players) being shoved into round holes.    You can see it on most line combinations with little synergy in style and method of play between the players.    This team needs to be re-jigged in a bad way and it should start with leadership at the top with Horvat.  The more time JR wastes in recognizing this the longer it will take to ice a competetive team. Please get on with it JR!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 2