The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Oct. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I love the rationale for resigning miller for the rest of his life....

No team offered anything of real value for him, so we decide to sign him. Why haven't we figured it out yet? If other teams don't want our players, then why the hell are we signing them long term?

Example. If we shop Horvat, and the best we can get is a #5D and a 2nd... Then don't sign him for $7m! 

This is only half the players fault. Trader Jim and PA have done very little to change the on ice dynamic. Kuz fell into their lap. Our 4th line in pretty much AHL players, and our D is in fact worse.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Another bad loss which is a combination of a lot of factors:

1 - Star players Miller, Bo and even Petey (who got bullies on that Ovi goal) not defending well. They're scoring, great, but not playing well defensively and need to take accountability. 

2 - Management not addressing our weak defence in the off-season, then combine that with an injury to two RDs Myers and Dermott.

3 - Demko has not been even great in the first 3 games but is getting a pass here. He is very far from the goalie we had last season and need. Not close to stealing us a win.

4 - PK is 50%, bottom of the league. Even if this was up around 80% we'd be 3-0-0 to start the year.

5 - PP has obviously been bad and let in some SHGs but didn't affect the Washington game too much.

We're a mess from top to bottom and it's got to come from the players. I'd like to see Martin start the next game and put Miller and Petey together again and see what happens. Big shift needed.

Only bright points was the offence, 5 on 5 play and Burroughs has really stepped up when needed.

excellent post again.

Bruce Boudreau stating the main issue with this team in his post game interview with the media:

what is the consensus on the Kuznetsov stick infraction...to me it was 100% deliberate with an intent to injury, will he only get a $5000 fine or a suspension. I know this is a new era of hockey, but if I saw a teammate get intentionally hit in the face by an opposition players stick I would be livid and would go after the other team and stand up for my teammate...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Of course the players care.   Well most of them, i'm sure none of them enjoy losing.   It's also on the GM to ice the right combo of players.   Anyone who's ever played on a team sport knows some guys grind it out with lesser skill but willingness to do whatever it takes, then the star players on that team, but doesn't mean any of those guys enjoy or want to lose.    Funny zero wins since Myers hasn't played.   And that's with Burroughs actually doing an admirable job ...  

Blowing 3 leads.   It's not the end of the world (yet!).   Nobody should be looking over the cliff ... that's taking things a bit far, but there's nothing wrong with being emotionally invested either.    The highs are that much higher.    The longer you've been a fan, the more abuse the relationship has provided, eventually you can laugh at things like setting a league record (if that's even a thing lol...records for everything now, makes sense because the everyone needs a ribbon crowd is now in positions of power) ... it's not great.   But let's keep an even keel.   Would it be more fun if we won a game lost a game won a game lost two then one 3, in a full loop and made the playoffs?   Or lost 3 then won 5?   Or lost 6 then won 8?   Doesn't matter how we get there as long as we do.    A players only meeting was a good call.   Blowing 3rd periods .... yikes!   And the team shouldn't be this bad with just two roster players out. 

Good stuff thanks.

I played on a team where me and my buddy were the worst (bar none) players on the team.

One game, we were losing 16-0 at the half (only 2 periods in beer league, one hour straight time).

Our goalie was actually pretty good believe it or not.

So I went to him at the half and asked what I should do.

He took me off wing and put me on D and told me to stay there, don't go down the ice, just stay right here and don't let anyone stand in front of him.

We lost.

17-16.

Oh, and my buddy got our 16th goal laying flat on the ice, putting the puck in with his nose!

Best game I ever played.

• Cheers 2

We've all known for a long time the D wasn't good enough, and Demko isn't playing well, being left out to dry. How long before he gets sick of losing and wants to go somewhere to win?

Poolman?

Stillman?

Rathbone?

Get serious

JR/PA - FAILING

Been a Canucks fan since the 70's. I have watched a lot of bad Canucks teams. This is not a bad team (not a great team either). Now some may have been suggesting this team is an outside chance contender but I am not that optimistic. The start of last season I said they were middle of the pack - could make the playoffs/could miss. This season I said the same - could make it/could miss.

My issue with the acquisition of Miller a few years ago was not Miller. It was the effect that he would have. The team is stuck in the middle. Not good enough to win, not bad enough to get high picks to make the team better. We are now reaping that reward. And that is why I was in favour of trading Miller this summer - the team needs to take a step or two backwards to step forward. Trades are not one sided and you have to give to get and by signing Miller they kept their best trade chip. They signed Boeser hoping he would reignite (and he still might). So the only trade chip left is Horvat. And personally, I have seen many a favourite player traded so I don't care if he goes. The cap is still a mess with the dollars spent on D being particularly inefficient (that is Myers and OEL). But I just don't see a team out there, with a good right D, that has a hole that Horvat fills. 

The first 3 games have been bad. But they are not going to go 0-82. I still say they are a 92 to 96 point team (finishing just in or out of the playoffs). Does that make me happy? Not really. I still say they are some similarities to Colorado - just remains to be seen if the new management can be as smart as Sakic was. I have no issue if the team has a crap year and drafts top 10. I have no issue if a popular player or 2 are traded out (as long as the return is worth it). I am not thinking this team is a contender. And given the issues that Benning left it will take a few years to get there. My bigger issue is with all the high priced fancy management hired I just don't see a change in direction. So far their moves have been "today" focused and I just don't agree that this is a "today" team. Time will tell and I hope I am wrong but this start and the obvious flaws are not encouraging.

• Upvote 1

Here's my idea for fixing this shite right now:

Next player to leave a gift (soft, back pass without looking, to the other team) sits out his next shift.

Not the rest of the game because we need Miller and others unmentionables who keep destroying the great work done earlier.

It should be a rule for today's game. 

Don't care who you are; give up a softie, a bullshit attempt, waddle to the bench cuz you're mad at yourself, whatever crap you have in the back of your hockey brain, and you sit!

Sit there and think about it; exorcize it; burn it out of your brain with a red-hot poker!

Another thought I do not see enough of in here today: Petey is playing GREAT!  F-N LIGHTS OUT!

Once he dials that slapper in that last angry little inch, he will be top of the league in scoring.

4 minutes ago, drofssalg said:

Been a Canucks fan since the 70's. I have watched a lot of bad Canucks teams. This is not a bad team (not a great team either). Now some may have been suggesting this team is an outside chance contender but I am not that optimistic. The start of last season I said they were middle of the pack - could make the playoffs/could miss. This season I said the same - could make it/could miss.

My issue with the acquisition of Miller a few years ago was not Miller. It was the effect that he would have. The team is stuck in the middle. Not good enough to win, not bad enough to get high picks to make the team better. We are now reaping that reward. And that is why I was in favour of trading Miller this summer - the team needs to take a step or two backwards to step forward. Trades are not one sided and you have to give to get and by signing Miller they kept their best trade chip. They signed Boeser hoping he would reignite (and he still might). So the only trade chip left is Horvat. And personally, I have seen many a favourite player traded so I don't care if he goes. The cap is still a mess with the dollars spent on D being particularly inefficient (that is Myers and OEL). But I just don't see a team out there, with a good right D, that has a hole that Horvat fills. 

The first 3 games have been bad. But they are not going to go 0-82. I still say they are a 92 to 96 point team (finishing just in or out of the playoffs). Does that make me happy? Not really. I still say they are some similarities to Colorado - just remains to be seen if the new management can be as smart as Sakic was. I have no issue if the team has a crap year and drafts top 10. I have no issue if a popular player or 2 are traded out (as long as the return is worth it). I am not thinking this team is a contender. And given the issues that Benning left it will take a few years to get there. My bigger issue is with all the high priced fancy management hired I just don't see a change in direction. So far their moves have been "today" focused and I just don't agree that this is a "today" team. Time will tell and I hope I am wrong but this start and the obvious flaws are not encouraging.

This is pretty good; but management did say they would have great difficulty fixing everything this year; just too much to sort out and no cap room to do it.

Also, I am sure that they are not finished adjusting the team during this season, so better things are still coming.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

This is pretty good; but management did say they would have great difficulty fixing everything this year; just too much to sort out and no cap room to do it.

Also, I am sure that they are not finished adjusting the team during this season, so better things are still coming.

no cap room to do it.

That in a nutshell is my biggest beef.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Canucks, always have, always will, but based purely on bang for buck - we're not worth that cap.  

All things being equal - every team that spends to the cap should be a contender - else you paid too much for those players.

2 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Canucks blowing the lead going into 3rd this year is bringing back nightmare memories of Desjardins days, ugh are we doing this again? I hope they address that soon.

Better than being down 2-0 every game and chasing.

• Cheers 1