The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Who should be the first to go?

nameci

2 hours ago, nameci said:

Provost, while I respect you as a knowledgable hockey fan, I disagree with the premise of your position.  Who we get back is not as important as moving these guys (for a reasonable return) as soon as possible.  Let’s get rid of the negative influences first and let the remaining players see what happens to those players who put their personal priorities ahead of team success.  This is a simple case of addition by subtraction.  If it is Boeser, for example, get him out of town for someone who is a team player.  What you lose by trading a  little below market value will be more than made up for by acquiring players who can work as a cohesive, supportive unit.  It is equally important for Canucks’ management to be aware of the character as well as the talent of incoming players obtained through trades

I think you are looking at a small fix for a large problem

Provost is looking to rebuild

the problem I see with your theory is the old cliche' "It takes two to tango" or tangle if you prefer

If you have a problem player, and the rest of your team can't deal with it, they are also part of the problem 

I do not believe that 1 or 2 players being removed "fixes" this dressing room

I can't see any player in this dressing room, or any dressing room saying, "Well I sure am glad we got rid of that bad apple, now I can become a leader and a star"

Edited by lmm

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Whoever gets you the return.  Horvat is a priority as he is on an expiring contract so needs to be moved by the deadline.

The other players basically as the market demands.  If a contender has a long injury maybe they want to get a player.  Goalie trade markets are weird, but if a top team loses their starter for the season… Demko becomes worth a whole lot to them, enough that they worry about future cap considerations later.

If Ottawa wants to push for the playoffs with the Norris injury, Horvat or Miller makes a great option.  Horvat because you aren’t committed and Miller because he can slide to the wing and help out a young Centre like he eased Petterson into it.

Jersey may be willing to pay a ton for Hughes as a marketing coup and to beef up their chances of a playoff round or two.

For me a rebuild includes anyone Hughes or older.

Ottawa trading for Miller could be a win-win for both teams and maybe not such a bad proposition for Miller.

Miller goes to a young team that is more ready than we are to take the next step. He won't be scrutinized in Ottawa like he is here.

Ottawa gets a power forward who could compliment their young players. I don't know if Ottawa will have enough cap space to accommodate Miller's cap though.

Canucks clears Miller's cap and gains flexibility.

If Horvat doesn't want to re-sign, then we can trade him and start rebuilding the roster.

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Boston has a massive surplus of defensemen, NJ has Severson playing on their third pair, even Calgary has a surplus. 

Don't need a number 1 RD in my opinion. Need a reliable defensive minded partner for Hughes that can play 21-22 mins/night. 

I disagree

we do need a #1 RD and a #2 RD and  #2 LD 

OEL can't last forever 

and none of those guys need to ready this year

they just need to get there before we need to start yet another rebuild

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

I disagree

we do need a #1 RD and a #2 RD and  #2 LD 

OEL can't last forever 

and none of those guys need to ready this year

they just need to get there before we need to start yet another rebuild

OEL can last a few more years if they make drafting defensemen a priority in 2023

i think that’s probably the plan 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not sure how you think a guy who got 99 points last year is suddenly untradeable. I can just say that I'm glad you're not in charge of negotiating trades.

Miller would have gotten more than 8M per season on the open market next season.

I don't think we're quite to the stage of trading core people yet, but I also don't think we're that far from moving someone major. This team needs a major shakeup, moving someone in bottom 6, I don't think will have the impact we're looking for. We need to balance defense to really improve and that is going to require giving up someone substantial from forward.

My personal guess would be that Garland get's moved as well as a prospect or pick to bring in a top 4 young RD.

Miller can't play defense and is lazy af. Potentially toxic as well (but who knows) 

• Cheers 1

Boeser , Rathbone and Martin to Arizona

for next years 1st pick.

They’ve got 19m in capspace,  and continuing to bottom feed…

besides,.   I do not think CBedard would go there.

Do players have to declare for the NHL draft?

If a player is 18, they must declare themselves eligible, but if a player turns 19 by September 15th, they are automatically eligible for selection in the draft. Signability: If a player is not drafted by age of 20, that player becomes an unrestricted free agent.
Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, Kelly Green said:

He is a really good player but moving out Miller and bringing in XKJ would fix 50% of whats wrong with this team right away imo.

100% would love wifi on this team. But the way everyone seems to lose and bite after a few months, I doubt it would change much.

5 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Ottawa's right side looks pretty thin, nothing they can really move. They have Hamonic playing as their 2nd pair RD.

I could see Bo to Carolina at the TDL, with salary retained. Carolina is in win-now mode, and with Staal's 6m contract expiring, they'll need a new C and will have the cap space to re-sign Bo long term. 

To Carolina:

Bo (4m retained)

To Van:

2023 1st

2024 1st

Bear

Carolina's probably in a good position to win the cup with Bo in their lineup this year. 

I'd do BO for Scott Morrow, Ethan Bear and their 2023 1st round pick...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Ottawa's right side looks pretty thin, nothing they can really move. They have Hamonic playing as their 2nd pair RD.

I could see Bo to Carolina at the TDL, with salary retained. Carolina is in win-now mode, and with Staal's 6m contract expiring, they'll need a new C and will have the cap space to re-sign Bo long term. 

To Carolina:

Bo (4m retained)

To Van:

2023 1st

2024 1st

Bear

Carolina's probably in a good position to win the cup with Bo in their lineup this year. 

so how do you propose we retained 4mil on Bo when the max we can retain in a trade is 2.75mil?