The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Bruins trade Jack Studnicka to Canucks for Michael DiPietro, Jonathan Myrenberg

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Bruins still don't want him, even after they traded for him.  Poor Mikey...

I feel bad for him, his career really got screwed when Benning kept him on the taxi squad for nothing. 

He needs to get over to a Euro team and just play, anywhere. 

On 10/28/2022 at 9:00 AM, EP Phone Home said:

Absolutely we have to wait and see. That said and others have voiced their skepticism. With the moves like these over the years, the short term trade as not benefited this franchise. Forsling for Clendenning, a 2nd that turned out to be Ramus Andersson for Bärtchi among other shortcut trades that hasn’t moved the needle at all.

Not that this trade moves either teams, it’s the principle that the team isn’t patient enough to allow our own D prospects to develop and graduate onto the team. 

No question we won’t know who becomes what for years, but the skepticism of have impatience from the top is warranted as we have seen this play out before. 

On another note, what trade that was focused on the here and now, in the last fifteen years and three different management teams has come out as a win? Miller comes to mind but there aren’t many. That’s where I’m coming from JM. We need to have a long term plan, especially on RD and I can’t see us contending in the here and now. 

The most likely scenario is that both players are nothing burgers, as you said we will have to wait and see. 

One prospect traded for a roster center and you assume there is no long-term plan?

Part of moving Myrenberg is part of the long-term plan.

In order to effect a long-term plan of any kind, you have to take care of NOW.

And it looks like we have acquired a RHD that wants to be here (NOW).

The team is a lot better today than when all the doom and gloomers were blowing off steam.

It takes time for fans to understand as much as management does; no matter how smart the fans think they are.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t Allvin say than Myrenberg was five years away from NHL ready?  Isn’t that a building around this core and trying to win now move?  

The concern with this philosophy is this core isn’t good enough, and we should be planning for being better 3-5 years out, just when Myrenberg is ready to come in on an ELC.  

The only people who think we should be waiting 3 to 5 years to contend are people who think they are smarter than JR & Co.

And none of them are.

• Cheers 1

On 10/28/2022 at 2:56 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting to read some of the comments from the Boston side. While I can’t say Bruins fans have been quite as hysterical about this relatively minor trade as Canucks fans, their initial reaction was almost as negative as ours. They didn’t like the trade, felt like the return was pretty weak, their GM messed up, and they lost a promising young player for basically nothing. They took some comfort in getting any return for a player they were expecting to eventually lose to waivers (most felt Studnicka would never clear and would have lots of NHL teams interested in picking him up). It wasn’t really until Canucks fans started pumping Myrenberg’s tires on social media that most Bruins fans felt they got anything close to decent value in return for Studnicka. And still, they seem mostly happy just to not lose him for nothing, with a silver lining of getting a lottery ticket in Myrenberg, with a slight chance of becoming an NHL player for them.

Not saying that every Bruins fan loved Studnicka and was crying bitter tears over his trade, but most seemed to like him a fair amount as a prospect/young player. Majority opinion on Bruins message boards and social media seems to be that he’s a decent bet as a future NHL 3rd line centre, and may be ready right now for that kind of role, if given an opportunity with another team, but was never able to crack the Bruins lineup over the veteran players in front of him.

As for a recent profile on Studnicka, here’s a good post from today on HFBoards (written by one of the Bruins board’s mods):

“He's big, fast, not afraid of contact, good defensively, good shorthanded, was a prolific AHL player, led the league in shorthanded goals. He's smart, he makes clever passes, he can play center and right wing, but he's also light and gets knocked off the puck easily.

He never got confident at the NHL level, he also never really got a stretch in the NHL where he could adjust and get comfortable.

IMO, the Bruins botched his development. The Bruins, under Sweeney, have maintained that a rookie has to beat out a veteran to get a spot in the lineup. And since Sweeney keeps signing free agents it's really effin hard to beat one out. If you're an 'offensive' guy then you have to beat out a top9 guy.

Last summer they told him to add some strength and be prepared to have a good camp. He spent the summer in the gym, added 10lbs, had a great camp... and was sent down because the Bruins had no NHL roster spots, they would have had to waive someone to keep him up. I think that's when they broke him. No matter what he did he wasn't going to get an extended look here. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade.

He absolutely can be a 3c and after his big season in Providence it looked like he could be a 2c but his development stalled there.”

Isn't that how most teams assemble their rosters?

That being said, I really appreciate your deep-dive look into this, and how you noted the reactions for both sides.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Couple more trade proposals to even out the lines 

To SJ- Hoglander, Poolman, 2024 4th 

To Van-  Luke Kunin 

To - NJD -Boeser, Myers salary retained 2023 7th round pick 

To Van-  Damon Severson, Miles Wood 

Miller Horvat Garland 

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikheyev 

Pearson Aman Podkolzin 

Wood Studnika Kunin

Lazar 

Hughes Severson

OEL Bear

Rathbone Schenn 

Brisbois Boroughs 

43 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder if they plan to throw Studnicka into the NHL, maybe after losing Lazar to injury and seeing Miller play so well on the wing? Aman has filled a bottom-6 center role nicely but we're really missing a 3C, wonder if Studnicka moves in on the 4C spot?

Studnicka is already on the NHL roster. He would require waivers (and most definitely be claimed) to go to the AHL. This is the reason we got him for so cheap. He will most definitely be given a chance to cement himself in the lineup.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I feel bad for him, his career really got screwed when Benning kept him on the taxi squad for nothing. 

He needs to get over to a Euro team and just play, anywhere. 

I give the Canucks a pass always on goalie development issues no matter who the GM is.  Schneider development under Nonis management.  Lack under Gillis (sure he flamed out but he was a free agent signing & Benning was able to get a free asset for him (draft pick) & his career ended early because of injuries.  Markstrom & Demko developed under Benning.  

Doesn't mean their perfect on this issue as they're only human.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I give the Canucks a pass always on goalie development issues no matter who the GM is.  Schneider development under Nonis management.  Lack under Gillis (sure he flamed out but he was a free agent signing & Benning was able to get a free asset for him (draft pick) & his career ended early because of injuries.  Markstrom & Demko developed under Benning.  

Benning needed to trade for a c-grade goalie for the taxi squad, and leave Mikey playing in the AHL. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well his work outside of drafting is iffy I'll grant you that.  I have an even lower opinion of his "number two" John Weisbrod.:P

#2 is right. So glad that guy isn't infecting this team anymore. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Just a paper work trade, nothing more, nothing less. Should give Abbotsford some help...

If I was forced to wager; I would have put money on Myrenberg being more likely to make a positive contribution to the Canucks eventually...

You would wager a player who is 4-5 years away from the NHL is more likely to make a contribution than a player who is on the roster right now? I'm guessing you push all in with a 2 8 unsuited in Texas holdem as well.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1

Boston  now loaning dipietro to Abbotsford  with no room in their org for him? Why did they even  bother trading for him.?  Even more perplexing is why does canucks FO. Go along with that ?  He wasn’t playing before the trade and now He sits again. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Boston  now loaning dipietro to Abbotsford  with no room in their org for him? Why did they even  bother trading for him.?  Even more perplexing is why does canucks FO. Go along with that ?  He wasn’t playing before the trade and now He sits again. 

Man, that is going to be AWKWARD.

Show a jailed prisoner  freedom and  an open future, walk him out the door, around the back of the prison, and lead him back into his cell.

• Haha 1