The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Bruins trade Jack Studnicka to Canucks for Michael DiPietro, Jonathan Myrenberg

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

former Team Canada Jr goalie? Sure, he was, but he's not an NHL goalie.  Good luck with that Boston. 

Myrenberg could be a good Dman one day, but I am glad they didn't trade more draft picks

yeah me too, Rick had me worried there. 

I think people have forgot about Filip Johansen and Brady Keeper, not to mention Woo. This kid was a long way off. But sure in Canucks luck fashion maybe he's the next Fox.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yesterday I was saying how I thought our prospects cupboard was about 5 D short of where it should be, 3-4 being rhd.

Silly me. I think we our prospect cupboard is about 6 D short of where it should be including 4-5 rhd.

We really, really, really needed more centre depth but really, really, really should be moving wingers not RHD prospects. 

Sadly wo ger have dirt value in today's nhl. Never draft wingers. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Except we just gave up a right side D prospect.  And for a 24 year old forward.  What’s the point of that? 

The point of this trade was to move DiPietro out of the organization. Period.

He and his agent have asked for a trade and publicly said they were not happy.

Right now the Canucks are a tire fire.  This is simply getting rid of a minor problem and distraction.

Nothing more.  The return is irrelevant. Could have been a roll of tape.

Move on.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Was only drafted a year ago tho - still only 19. To be logging mins on a pro team is pretty good progression for a late rounder. Plus he's the lone RHD prospect we had that looked to be progressing. 

Would rather have given up someone else, but we'll see. Maybe he turns out to be nothing & Studnicka is a valuable player for us. 

Maybe they were lower on Myrenberg than other prospects, given our RHD situation I think I would've sacrificed others before him

I think it shows they've been trying hard to find some fit for Mikey. 

We'll know if this was a mistake in 5 or 6 years. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

Nope. Johansson 

Myrenberg is bigger and putting up better numbers than Johansson did at the same age. Johansson is definitely much more NHL ready, but he's also 3 years older.

And here's a report from the rookie camp in August:

Filip Johansson
Not a lot stuck out about Filip Johansson. There were probably a couple of days where I forgot he was even there to be honest.

Jonathan Myrenberg
If I had to pick who the best defenceman of this camp was, I’d go with Jonathan Myrenberg. He stood out on day one with the added size that he has put on in the past year, shined with the power behind his shot, and wowed us in the scrimmage with his ability to anticipate plays in the neutral zone.
He will be loaned to the Allsvenskan for the 2022-23 season and hopes to be back in the SHL for the year after that. As a 6’2″, right-shot defenceman who can move, he is very much in our crosshairs as we fast approach overseason prospect viewings.
We loved the way that he was so aware of everyone on the ice during the scrimmage. He has active eyes and is constantly scanning and preparing for what to do when he gets the puck.
Lots to like, he is our first star of the defence and up there with Bains as out camp standouts.

I'd argue it was close. Moot point now though.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

that's the most disingenuous description of dipietro a person could write. this guy calls himself a journalist? the team and dipietro's representatives have been openly searching for a trading partner for months and nobody was interested in the slightest. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Forsling was a 7th rounder they traded not even a year after drafting him. A little far fetched to call him a stud prospect at the time.

Don’t agree. Forsling took off right away. Already played a full season in the SHL and had 8 points in 7 games in the WJC.

All before we traded him 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The point of this trade was to move DiPietro out of the organization. Period.

He and his agent have asked for a trade and publicly said they were not happy.

Right now the Canucks are a tire fire.  This is simply getting rid of a minor problem and distraction.

Nothing more.  The return is irrelevant. Could have been a roll of tape.

Move on.

It is kind of backwards. The club gave his agent permission to help find a trade because he wouldn’t be starting for Abbotsford. They looked to find another home for him but couldn’t find much interest.