The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Didn’t take me much time at all it’s pretty easy on this site.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/round/5-round-draft-picks-defensemen-all-time-points-leaders.html

When you consider how many 5th rounders were selected over those many "decades" I'd say the odds arent that great. The truth is by that round it's a crap shoot.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

I mean, you can't really say Tampa lost the trade, or Boston lost their trade.

If a trade leads to a cup, it was successful.

However, that doesn't mean the other team lost the trade. They could have been successful too (like us with Miller), just not as successful as the team who won.

I get that, but when arguments are being made over things you think someone meant, that weakens the whole discussion IMO.

Yeah good point. I go at it with him once awhile. Mostly just ignore cause I’d be at it everyday haha 

1 minute ago, VanCan2023 said:

There is only one of them on the ring of honor. Debate settled. Rodger got a statue and is the goat Canucks coach. 

I don't care. I was a child during coaching Quinn's run and I do not have an opinion on him based on lived experience. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

I never said the Canucks lost the Miller trade.  Didn't say anything regarding the Canucks, actually.  What I did say was that Tampa Bay primarily won the trade.  Which they did.

Likewise, between Winnipeg/Atlanta and Boston, Boston managed to win a Stanley Cup off that trade, while the other organization haven't and don't look like they will with Wheeler, so clearly, and factually, it had a better outcome for the Bruins.

like i said. whack-a-doodle

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Guy thinks a team is the dumbest franchise in the league.

Signs up for their forum, spends all his time there.  Hmmmm.  :towel:

I think it is an open secret that he's not a Canucks fan.

This trade is fine, and I think allvin has done an iffy job as a GM thus far.

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

A 5th isn't much, I'm not going to pretend it is, but I question why we'd give up a 5th for a stopgap when we could have plucked one off waivers over the last few days. Not keen on his 2.2M qualifying offer.

A 2nd to dump Dickinson, a 5th for a guy who we'll probably let walk if his play doesn't seem worth 2.2M. I don't think it's fair to jump on folks who aren't keen on our giving up the 5th, picks add up and our last management group liked to hand picks out too. 

I think Bear is a much better option than waiver fotter though, he's a proven NHLer.

I think the Dickinson move had more to do with getting cap compliant after the injuries sustained in pre-season than intentionally setting us up for this move. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, VanCan2023 said:

I believe we will all soon be rooting for him. It's hard enough for privileged white kids to make the NHL, couldn't imagine what he and the likes of Odjick, Trotier, Tootoos, etc to get there. 

Play hard Bear!!

Having played (jrB. srA) and being half native (Haida) most native ,black athletes use the vitriol as motivation. I found the smile and ignore tactic seemed to bring out even more stupidity. Getting an a$$ hole off his game  by saying nothing always worked for me. Most aren’t agitator types. And most storing some kind of crap does’nt usually back down either.  

Edited by chon derry

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah exactly

There've been too many cases of OEL chipping the puck out off the glass, or ringing it around the boards. I think Bear could help him, and Bear's ability to deny opposing entries could create a pretty stifling D pairing to play against. 

And hallelujah we finally have another defenseman that can kill penalties

Pretty excited to see him over the next few games

yeah me too.

I really hope we do get to see an OEL-Bear experiment. I like Myers, but if we can get the same level of play out of an OEL-Bear pair then thats a win and can maybe try and see if Rathbone-Myers works. 

• Like 1

Will Bear help to change the team culture? I suspect he'll put in the hard work and effort on/off ice, he's not going to be part of the country club. I don't know enough about Bear's game, though, haven't seen him play much. Same with Studnicka, haven't seen him play, but I wonder if he's also a player to help change the team culture. Looks like JR/PA are finding good, young, cheap players just wanting an opportunity to play.

2 hours ago, JL44 said:

Y’all see Whit’s comments on Canucks fans? Says we are the worst lol I’m not sure we are worse then Leaf’s fans… but I think we are up there 

The irony is that generalizations are always ridiculous (intended).

It's like the "Canucks Fans Rioted" bs.

Some Canuck fans are 'worse' than some Leaf fans.

But that doesn't catch replies.

There's no prize for who has the 'best fans'.

Some posters were 'embarrassed' by the Nux slow start.  wth?

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't care. I was a child during Quinn's run and I do not have an opinion on him based on lived experience. 

Sorry meant to reply to the original post. Saying that Bobby Orr was way before my time, but know he was the best Dman ever. Anyway sorry again. 

Damn, this thread got derailed quickly.

The points about giving up an unnecessary draft pick are valid, as it’s unquestionable that Baer had no future with the team and was more than likely going to become a free asset sooner rather than later. From a fan’s perspective, I don’t mind the move because it *should/could improve the right side of the blue line immediately. However, from the asset management side of things, it is a troubling sign that JR/PA feel the need to throw picks at low end assets, and ones that are borderline nhl at best. Fact of the matter is if JR and PA actually worked on the blue line in the off-season, they wouldn’t be in the situation they are in to begin with.

Lets hope Baer does well. As long as he avoids big mistakes, he’s already better than most of our current RD.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VanCan2023 said:

Sorry meant to reply to the original post. Saying that Bobby Orr was way before my time, but know he was the best Dman ever. Anyway sorry again. 

Go back and look at what he was quoting, I don't know what the hell either of you are going on about.

I said AV has been my favourite Canucks coach thus far and you two took it to a best coach conversation. 

People should learn how to read. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Will Bear help to change the team culture? I suspect he'll put in the hard work and effort on/off ice, he's not going to be part of the country club. I don't know enough about Bear's game, though, haven't seen him play much. Same with Studnicka, haven't seen him play, but I wonder if he's also a player to help change the team culture. Looks like JR/PA are finding good, young, cheap players just wanting an opportunity to play.

Overall these are solid moves. Long term picture though, we really need to accumulate draft picks. 

I hope PA considers moving one or two of our surplus top-6 forwards for high round draft picks. 

• Upvote 1