The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to trade our first round draft pick?

Rate this topic

UnkNuk

33 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Do the opposite please. 

Trade Miller, trade Boeser, trade Garland, trade Horvat for the right package (and if his resign price is way over 7 million). Try moving Pearson if anyone in the playoff hunt wants him. In the offseason it will be easier to move Meyers if we need to (very low money owed I believe and 1 year left).  

Bottom line, get more draft picks. We don't even need to fully rebuild. We're already so garbage it can't get worse. Fresh team, young players, sign vets to 2-3 year deals to fit around the core group (Petey, Hughes, Demko).

You trade those 4 and might as well add Petey to the mix as he isn't sticking around for a rebuild according to his past comments. He wants to play for a winner.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

This ironically has been us since 2016, and with all the other teams correctly identifying us as such when they traded their players to us for picks.

I think that's true.  Maybe it's time Rutherford reversed this.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Tank4Bedard said:

OP, I think you need some antipsychotics (disclaimer: just a "saying" nothing serious) cuz this is insane. 

If, by "insane", you mean "thinking outside the box brilliant", then maybe this idea is insane.    -_-

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Kick rocks barefoot.

Oh hey best possible pure skill centre from BC, and bloody Vancouver to boot; in the draft since Yzerman but let's trade our pick while we're last in the league.

Give yer bits a tug bud

To be fair, we were never in a position to draft Yzerman & we did draft future hall of famer Cam Neely in that draft.

Course we dealt Neely & a 1987 first round pick for Pederson.  That 1987 draft year saw some nobody center from Burnaby (drafted in a position where we could've selected him had we kept that 1st round pick).  Some Joe Schmoe....(Sakic :P)

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is a no from me… our pick is more than likely going to be worth a lot to US.  The difference in value between a bubble team mid round pick and a top 5 pick is massive.  I wouldn’t trade three mid 1st round picks for a top 5 pick this year.

EXACTLY!   Which is why we should think about SWAPPING our pick while there is uncertainty about just how bad our team is.  Because, unless you think this team really is one of the worst teams in the league, a mid-round pick is what we'll be getting this next draft.   

27 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm sensing a lack of enthusiasm for my proposal.

Let me repeat:  this is for those fans (like myself) who think the Canucks are going to make the playoffs this season.  If we do, we're going to be picking 17th or higher and won't be getting a crack at Bedard or the other top four.  (I've read here, for people who know more about the upcoming draft than I, that the top five are all pretty good.)

On the other hand, if you think, as some here do, that the Canucks are a terrible team who are going to finish somewhere near the bottom of the table, then, sure, you hold onto the pick.

The real question, it seems to me, is what do Rutherford and the rest of Canucks management, think about this team's prospects?  If they believe this is a playoff team I could see them making a trade like this.  But it would have to be in the near future while the Canucks are still (temporarily) wallowing at the bottom of the league.

Rutherford, I believe, has a reputation as a wheeler-dealer.  You have to admit, swapping our first round pick would be a wheel-and-deal.

Is there a risk involved?  Yes.   But, as the saying goes:  no risk, no reward.   Or, no guts, no glory.

Also, consider the impact such a swap would have on our team.  That is, suppose Rutherford came out and said:  "There's no way on God's green  earth that we will swap our first round pick!".  What message would that send to the team?  It would say that he and the rest of management have no confidence that they are capable of getting into the playoffs and that our draft pick will be a high one.

On the other hand, if he did swap draft picks in the manner I proposed, it would be a vote of confidence in our team.  That management thinks they will finish higher up in the standings with a lower draft pick that is tradeable.

Why do you think this team is playoff bound?

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

EXACTLY!   Which is why we should think about SWAPPING our pick while there is uncertainty about just how bad our team is.  Because, unless you think this team really is one of the worst teams in the league, a mid-round pick is what we'll be getting this next draft.   

Or ... we trade Miller, Bo, Demko, and add several more higher picks?  We tank hard and have lots of picks in the top 50 for three years in a row. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It is an interesting way to gamble if a GM is confident but I think you will almost literally never see these trades of swapping first rounders for the same draft early in the season...the reason being that this is close to the only way to be the loser in a trade and have that be mathematically verifiable.  St. Louis can always still say they got a captain and an all star in Butcher for Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall and Sergio Momesso etc.  Montreal can always say they won the Cup with Denis Savard after giving up Chris Chelios who never won one with Chicago.  But if you actually just straight up trade what ends up being your 5th overall pick for a 17th overall pick...you're f***ing fired.

That's a good point.

This proposal is predicated on finding a gm who thinks he has a better team than he does and who also thinks the Canucks are a truly bad team when they are a playoff bound team and is willing to swap picks.

Who is that gm?  Dunno.  That's up to Rutherford to find out.  That's why he's paid the big bucks.

But if he could find this gm, I could see him trying something like this.

12 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Why do you think this team is playoff bound?

For reasons I mentioned in the ".649" thread.

Basically, I think this team proved they have playoff talent last season under Boudreau when they played .649 hockey over a 57 game span.

8 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm not sure I understand you.  Are you saying Rutherford doesn't care about improving this franchise?

I am just addressing the idea of trading our 1st round pick in principle.

I don't believe Rutherford cares where the team is in 3-5 years. He's in it for the this year and next. The chances of him moving out #1 pick is higher than anyone here realizes.

• Haha 1

I used to play my share of NHL 18. I would turn off the salary cap, and throw contracts at every top UFA. Then, in season I would trade those UFAs to a bottom feeder for their 1st overall. This trade reminds me a lot of those Chell trades. It's a fun concept, but that's just not how the league works.

This seems risky to me. I guess if you go this route then it depends on the return. I would rather keep the 1st rounder and trade everyone else with value and go crazy stockpiling picks for the next few years. No point keeping guys like Petey and Horvat if you aren't going to be a playoff team for awhile. Let's start everyone from scratch again as this core is useless.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Because, in the scenario I'm proposing, we have a playoff bound team and we don't want to weaken it.

(But you raise an interesting question:  if you think the Canucks are not playoff bound this season, who would you be willing to trade to, say, Arizona, for their first round pick?)

I don't any bottom team will trade their 1st this year. You might be better off trying to trade a player to a team looking to come out of a rebuild. Those are bubble teams.

• Cheers 1