The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] November 3, 2022 Anaheim Ducks @ Vancouver Canucks - 7:00pm PT Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Rathbone has been very good on the PP, despite not collecting individual points (yet) with the man advantage.

I think the power play looks a lot more dynamic and dangerous with Rathbone. Certainly more so than with OEL. And arguably even Hughes (this season anyway).

The stats are very clear on this.

Canucks power play with Rathbone scores a goal about every two minutes. That’s around 4X the scoring rate without him. And his presence also sees just about every underlying metric boosted significantly (compared to either Hughes or OEL).

Take away the power plays (and the 4 PP goals) with Rathbone this season, and the Canucks (who are currently top-5 in PP%) have actually been a middling team with the man advantage. 

They also haven’t given up a shorthanded goal (which have been killers this season), or even a shorthanded scoring chance, with Rathbone on the power play. 

While it’s true that Rathbone hasn’t been very good at 5v5, he also hasn’t been the Canucks’ worst Dman at evens. And his positive impacts with the man advantage have been far more significant than whatever negative impacts he’s has on the team’s 5v5 defence.

I also think he’d get better (at 5v5) with more game reps alongside a consistent partner on the 3rd pairing.

Well thanks for that analytic look at what my eyes have seen with young Jack. :metal:

22 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Thanks, updated line-ups in first post

Happy Martin is getting the start. No doubt Demko is an elite goalie in the league, and I never feel worried with him in net. With that being said he has really struggled this year. He must have looked behind him 3-5 time last game, not knowing where the puck was/if he had it. Thats a clear sign he isn't on right now and is fighting it. Ride the guy who is hot

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1