The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins Sign former Renounced Coyotes Draft Pick Mitchell Miller to ELC [UPDATE] BRUINS RESCIND CONTRACT

AngryElf

It amazes me how these situations can exist for as long as they do. If I understand correctly this bullying by Miller went on for 8 years and was discovered at age 14. From age 6 to 14 years old Miller was bullying this young boy. Why didn't the teachers, other kids or their parents or the victims parents pick up on this situation? Very sad. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It amazes me how these situations can exist for as long as they do. If I understand correctly this bullying by Miller went on for 8 years and was discovered at age 14. From age 6 to 14 years old Miller was bullying this young boy. Why didn't the teachers, other kids or their parents or the victims parents pick up on this situation? Very sad. 

I was with you up until here. They are the ones who have been wronged. Asking why a victim’s parents didn’t know about it is blaming them and also assuming something we don’t actually know. They never should have been in that position in the first place. Miller put them in that situation. He is the one who should be asked why he didn’t stop bullying that poor kid. It is very sad indeed, that I agree with you on.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Everything you said is fine up until here. They are the ones who have been wronged. Asking why a victim’s parents didn’t know about it is blaming them and also assuming something we don’t actually know. They never should have been in that position in the first place. Miller put them in that situation. He is the one who should be asked why he didn’t stop bullying that poor kid. It is very sad indeed, that I agree with you on.

No I am not putting anyone on notice here. Miller was 6 years old when he started to do this. The adults in this situation failed to notice what was going on. That includes Miller's parents as his behavior was probably manifesting in other situations as well. There again those in the education system should have picked up on Miller's behavior in other situations. Miller's behavior would not have been singular in how it manifested. Many of us will remember situations in school where inappropriate behavior was ignored. Teachers often simply passed their problems up to the next grade as students with emotional problems were passed thru the system. But isn't that the way our society works? People with emotional or mental health problems rarely get the attention they need. People on this thread so anxious to think the worst of Miller don't know from where he is coming from. That is not a defense of his actions! No 6 year old has the capacity to truly understand the 'whys' of his behavior. From 6 to 14 years old and possibly until today his behaviors might not have been addressed. Thinking that Miller is even capable of true introspection might be unrealistic if he has not received help. Many people with such tendencies will simply adapt to societal norms but periodically lash out. 

Awhile back I read a book written by a GP. He stated that about 1/3 of his patients who came to see him complaining of physical ailments did not in fact have those ailments. What they wanted was a confidant, a shoulder, someone who would say they cared. Yes, some probably were mentally ill. Very sad commentary on the human condition.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

No I am not putting anyone on notice here. Miller was 6 years old when he started to do this. The adults in this situation failed to notice what was going on. That includes Miller's parents as his behavior was probably manifesting in other situations as well. There again those in the education system should have picked up on Miller's behavior in other situations. Miller's behavior would not have been singular in how it manifested. Many of us will remember situations in school where inappropriate behavior was ignored. Teachers often simply passed their problems up to the next grade as students with emotional problems were passed thru the system. But isn't that the way our society works? People with emotional or mental health problems rarely get the attention they need. People on this thread so anxious to think the worst of Miller don't know from where he is coming from. That is not a defense of his actions! No 6 year old has the capacity to truly understand the 'whys' of his behavior. From 6 to 14 years old and possibly until today his behaviors might not have been addressed. Thinking that Miller is even capable of true introspection might be unrealistic if he has not received help. Many people with such tendencies will simply adapt to societal norms but periodically lash out. 

Awhile back I read a book written by a GP. He stated that about 1/3 of his patients who came to see him complaining of physical ailments did not in fact have those ailments. What they wanted was a confidant, a shoulder, someone who would say they cared. Yes, some probably were mentally ill. Very sad commentary on the human condition.   

I think you’ve misunderstood when this happened and at what ages. Mitchell bullied this kid until 2018. He started the bullying in grade 8 at 12 or 13 years old. He continued until at least 18 years old. If Miller was doing this at the age you described I would be a lot more sympathetic to forgiveness due to the fact of it being a young kid who didn’t know any better. He may still not have gotten good parenting or good guidance from those around him, but he certainly wasn’t at an age where you can give him the benefit of the doubt as a child which is why he was convicted in juvenile court.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

This has all been addressed by the mother of victim in her public statement. She had gone to the schools administration and Miller's parents on multiple occasions and it was ignored. It's part of the reason why this is such a big deal.

Miller never faced consequences for his actions because he was a good hockey player. Full stop. Any other child would have seen their actions be punished. Miller lived a privileged life and his wicked behavior was enabled. On top of Miller for his heinous actions, his parents and the school administration also to blame. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t understand this tendency when trying to defend one’s position to point to someone or something else. Does it effect this current situation at all? No, but it is a whataboutism and deflection in order to try to lessen the impact of criticism of a persons opinion. This one’s real easy, just like with any other incident or person you bring up to me: No it’s not ok. Two wrongs never make a right. He was wrong to do so, his apology was insincere and forced and he shouldn’t be allowed to play again unless he has shown through actions (words don’t count) that he is remorseful and working hard to educate himself and become a better person. That is the only time someone should be deserving of a second chance. That fact goes for any professional athlete in any league who has done/or said racist, bullying or bigoted things or actions that you or anyone else points to. It’s not the gotcha question I think you believe it is.

Now to get back on subject do you believe the victim’s family or not?

The point I was making is that this person has the whole world out with pitch forks in the modern day equivalent to a lynch mob yet a broad spectrum of professional athletes who are established theoretically mature adults are given slaps on the wrist in comparison to Miller who is a human being like the rest of us.  I find your dismissal and position hypocritical a hallmark of cancel culture.  Without a critical thought given like the French Revolution we go off with their heads.  Cancel culture shall remember history repeats and what happened to the leaders of the French Revolution after the old guard was pitched out so were they.  The world in my mind needs more empathy and we can all be better less black or white and more grey.

• RoughGame 2

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

The point I was making is that this person has the whole world out with pitch forks in the modern day equivalent to a lynch mob yet a broad spectrum of professional athletes who are established theoretically mature adults are given slaps on the wrist in comparison to Miller who is a human being like the rest of us.  I find your dismissal and position hypocritical a hallmark of cancel culture.  Without a critical thought given like the French Revolution we go off with their heads.  Cancel culture shall remember history repeats and what happened to the leaders of the French Revolution after the old guard was pitched out so were they.  The world in my mind needs more empathy and we can all be better less black or white and more grey.

Good grief, are you seriously equalizing the murders of people in olden times to being the same as a kid not getting the privilege to play hockey professionally? Get a grip. Every single athlete with “pitchforks” after them have and do deserve it. So does Mitchell Miller. If you believe that no act any human being does to another is worthy of “canceling” or in this case losing the right to play a professional sport (which come off it, no one’s saying he can’t have a job and a life to live) then I think I’m done with this conversation.

Not once in this thread have you commented on or empathized with the victim. Not once have you criticized Miller, instead defending him as being worthy of a second chance despite him showing no remorse or taking zero actions to become a better person. I pray to god that if your child ever goes through this horror you will instead be as supportive of them and angry as the victim’s family and not tell your child to their face that their bullying tormenter for many years deserves the privilege to play a sports game after mentally scarring and ruining your own kid’s life and maybe future. You may profess to want to have more empathy in the world, but for some reason you only want to empathize with the bully and not the victim.

That right there is actually what’s wrong with society: not empathizing with and supporting those who are vulnerable and unable to stand up and defend themselves. You want a better world? Start there.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Bruins have parted ways with Mitchell Miller.

What a genius organization. Now they’ve alienated their fanbase and the hockey world for absolutely nothing during a time period the team was on a roll this season. How they didn’t think this would result in massive backlash is just evidence those in charge are the “old boys club”. I truly hope this is the last time a team is this stupid and this poor family has to go through this media circus after Arizona and now Boston.

• Cheers 1