The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

He absolutely does move the needle and you move Bo, say goodbye to Petey as well because they'll be a bottom feeder for a long time.  There aren't a lot of players that can score the way Bo does and even fewer who take and win faceoffs the way Bo does. 

The modern game is a possession game and that starts with faceoffs, moving Bo and not having a replacement ready would be a terrible move

I don’t think Bo is going anywhere unless he wants to. 

IMO if Bo goes so does any playoff contention hopes in the next few years. 

His role is too important and hard to replace in such a short time.

And the likelihood of getting anything more than picks/prospects is close to nil. 

We might as well tear it down, which I would prefer. 

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

that doesn't matter, and is also a bad reason not to tank. We're too shitty to tank?

You get your elite players from your own picks, every other return adds to the depth to whatever degree additional picks and prospects work out. 

Again, I think they will finish near the bottom this year and make 3, maybe 4 significant hockey trades, not for picks.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO if Bo goes so does any playoff contention hopes in the next few years. 

His role is too important and hard to replace in such a short time.

And the likelihood of getting anything more than picks/prospects is close to nil. 

We might as well tear it down, which I would prefer. 

you move Bo and it's goodbye Petey because he's not sticking around for the kind of futility they'll experience if they move Bo.

They're not tearing it down, imo, nor do.they need to.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Again, I think they will finish near the bottom this year and make 3, maybe 4 significant hockey trades, not for picks.

but if our current roster player aren't valuable as you say, how do we make those significant hockey trades? 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Demko will 'work himself out' of his current slump.  As such, with the better goaltending most nights on the ice, I don't see us finishing near the bottom (even if the rest of the team stays the same).

Just now, JM_ said:

but if our current roster player aren't valuable as you say, how do we make those significant hockey trades? 

The players they would move aren't valuable enough.  Do you want them to move Petey, podz, Hughes, hogz, demko etc?

What you're talking about is another decade or longer of bottom feeding with absolutely no guarantee that it's even going to work.  Tear downs rarely work and often lead to decades of futility.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think Demko will 'work himself out' of his current slump.  As such, with the better goaltending most nights on the ice, I don't see us finishing near the bottom (even if the rest of the team stays the same).

Hard to say at this point.  I'd say the playoffs are almost gone and if so, they'll start making some deals that will weaken the team for the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

you move Bo and it's goodbye Petey because he's not sticking around for the kind of futility they'll experience if they move Bo.

We look amazing for 1 period every single game. Not just good, we look world class. And then the mentality kicks in where we start coasting and not trying as hard as the other team. If we can fix that, start playing a full 60, we don't need to tear it down. We need better structure and I think bringing in 1 good dman can really help. Bear has already had a positive impact on our team. Getting rid of Stillman is a must.

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If Martin plays tonight, that's 3 days of practice with Ian & some rest. This could be the turning point of his season. We better hope so for our sake

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The players they would move aren't valuable enough.  Do you want them to move Petey, podz, Hughes, hogz, demko etc?

What you're talking about is another decade or longer of bottom feeding with absolutely no guarantee that it's even going to work.  Tear downs rarely work and often lead to decades of futility.

and sometimes they work extremely well. 

I have zero faith that this mgmt team can thread the needle with a series of brilliant trades that fix everything. When's the last time we even saw one trade that had a significant positive impact on this team? Luongo?

Why would we expect that we can see 3 or 4 hockey trades now, when we have rarely seen one thats had a lasting positive impact in the last 10+ years? 

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Perhaps. We have his rights for a bit but it would definitely be a tough sell for Petey.

IMO if this core can’t do it then I’d tear down personally. IMO they’ve had a lot of chances and I don’t see any quick fixes. 

At least that’s what I think. I respect your opinion. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He absolutely does move the needle and you move Bo, say goodbye to Petey as well because they'll be a bottom feeder for a long time.  There aren't a lot of players that can score the way Bo does and even fewer who take and win faceoffs the way Bo does. 

The modern game is a possession game and that starts with faceoffs, moving Bo and not having a replacement ready would be a terrible move

Fear mongering 101 stawns. This is all you do here lol

I see two paths both having validity. We can keep Bo and make other trades to make the team better. You need vets no matter what route and this is a path that keeps us competitive sooner than later. We could also sell Bo and everyone else we can and remake everything from the ground up. This may or may not lose Petey and/or Hughes but it's a reasonable take.

I know @stawns is against the latter, it's hard but not impossible to replace him. Obviously either Miller (blah) gets kept as a scorer or another scorer is sought out in replacement. In addition a good 3C capable of replacing the face-offs would be key and a return from Bo would help. Either way the focus gets put on building a complete team.

Personally, I'd keep Bo and jettison Miller like I think we should have done in the summer. We'd be much further ahead with a young group working through their growing pains together and this rough start would be no big deal.

13 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Think the whole team is held together by Bo horvat...

What I said was that they don't have anyone in the system that can do what Bo does and that's absolutely true.  It's also true that the NHL is a possession league and that starts in the dot and Bo is currently one of the top faceoff guys in the league.  If they move Bo, there goes one of the best faceoff guys in the league and that means the team will start without possession more often than not and that means they're chasing the puck from the get go.

If you want a full tear down and years more of futility, then push for a Bo move.  Personally, I think there's a good team there that can make a decently quick turn around and Bo would be a huge part of that.  

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

What I said was that they don't have anyone in the system that can do what Bo does and that's absolutely true.  It's also true that the NHL is a possession league and that starts in the dot and Bo is currently one of the top faceoff guys in the league.  If they move Bo, there goes one of the best faceoff guys in the league and that means the team will start without possession more often than not and that means they're chasing the puck from the get go.

If you want a full tear down and years more of futility, then push for a Bo move.  Personally, I think there's a good team there that can make a decently quick turn around and Bo would be a huge part of that.  

All Bo does is take faceoffs. EP is superior in every single way. Offensively and defensively. That does not warrant something around 7x8.

It's wasting money like this that keeps us a bottom feeder. All but 4 guys are 1 way players on this roster. That includes bo 

8 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

All Bo does is take faceoffs.

And lead the team in goal scoring

and be second in team points

and be the captain

Also the reason he takes face offs is 

a because he is very good at them

b-because the rest of the team, including Elias, suck at it.

• Cheers 2