The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Spoiler

Great post, James.  A lot of things we hope management has taken account of and has irons in the fire for.  A line that JR recently said was "we finally got creative and made cap space" (not verbatim) in regards to getting Bear and upgrading the D.  We're going to have to be a lot more creative to really turn the ship around.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

However, I have some faith that they will see that it's Miller that needs to be cut loose, not Bo.  For the season he doesn't have NTC protection and there will be teams that take him of the price is right, Myers too imo.  Boeser might be a tougher sell, but his deal is short and luckily he still puts up numbers.  I also hope they've been reading my thoughts on Hughes because a deal there goes a long long way to re-tooling B).

I wish I had your faith. I have zero, I don't think this group is capable of admitting this massive blunder and I don't really see a clear path to trading him either. Who could afford him or even want him? Not many teams that's for sure. Timing also sucks if they would be planning on signing Bo in lieu of that as he would need to be traded soon. Huge pickle for us and could be our demise for the next half decade and more unfortunately. JT ... just not the guy to lead a team into the future. He's a completely self-absorbed player. 

Myers should be tradeable to the right team but Boeser is a half Louie (only 3 years thank gawd). Why on earth they gambled our future and capspace away when they knew the landscape is beyond me.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wish I had your faith. I have zero, I don't think this group is capable of admitting this massive blunder and I don't really see a clear path to trading him either. Who could afford him or even want him? Not many teams that's for sure. Timing also sucks if they would be planning on signing Bo in lieu of that as he would need to be traded soon. Huge pickle for us and could be our demise for the next half decade and more unfortunately. JT ... just not the guy to lead a team into the future. He's a completely self-absorbed player. 

Myers should be tradeable to the right team but Boeser is a half Louie (only 3 years thank gawd). Why on earth they gambled our future and capspace away when they knew the landscape is beyond me.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I will never cheer forthem to lose, but they defintely need to cut bait on several players this season and whatever happens, happens.  It's certainly the season to do it with at three franchise players (maybe even generational) up for grabs.  However, I have some faith that they will see that it's Miller that needs to be cut loose, not Bo.  For the season he doesn't have NTC protection and there will be teams that take him of the price is right, Myers too imo.  Boeser might be a tougher sell, but his deal is short and luckily he still puts up numbers.  I also hope they've been reading my thoughts on Hughes because a deal there goes a long long way to re-tooling B).

I think they can admit it, Rutherford is honest. 

It's a matter of can they pull off a Miller trade right now, and I'm not sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Good comment regarding Miller's contact and trade value. 

I personally think anyone with 3 years left has great trade value because we can retain salary. 

If we are rebuilding with guys on ELC and other teams cap dumps, we shouldn't need capspace for 3 to 4 years. 

I would say this is the time we need a capologist the most. We need a carefully planned out strategy of how we'll be utilizing cap space to extract max value on trades while ensuring new contracts are structured to ensure we have maximum capspace availability when we need it in the future. 

Yup, we can retain and/or take back less appealing contracts.

Some folks here are trying to tell me that say BOS wouldn't like to send us expiring Smith ($3.1) or Falino ($3.8) for Miller, with enough retained to either even the hits, or even give them a bit of space?

Of course they would.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

yes there are a number of issues with this team, but the #1 issue is Demko. Something is very wrong with him, I don't know if its physical or mental or both. If he was even average we wouldn't be having all this angst right now.

Has anyone heard anything on whats happening with him?

1: He had surgery in the off-season for an undisclosed injury he had tried to play through

2: He got married in the summer

3: the opposition are spiking his smelling salts

That's all I've  got .........

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL Boeser and Myers for Tarasenko and Paryako? Sign me up! 

Paryako is Myers and oel combined, Expect for 8 more years at 30 yo. Blues fans will tell you this :lol:

We should really just try to do Miller for ROR. They are locked in forever with many guys, Might as well add another. We get a TDL piece to sell:ph34r: 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Garland is one of the players they need

I don't know why you got such a hard on for this guy. He's an alright player but he doesn't do anything really well like a Petey or Bo. His spinaramas are cute and cool but not overly effective. I mean if we're getting rid of guys he's one of the top options to return something and he doesn't really move the needle at all. He's also tiny, carries a $5m tag and not a great defender or anything. I guess we all have our favorites.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't know why you got such a hard on for this guy. He's an alright player but he doesn't do anything really well like a Petey or Bo. His spinaramas are cute and cool but not overly effective. I mean if we're getting rid of guys he's one of the top options to return something and he doesn't really move the needle at all. He's also tiny, carries a $5m tag and not a great defender or anything. I guess we all have our favorites.

If Garland could return a couple second round picks that would be a good trade for us.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I wonder if JR drank the Kool-Aid like I did. I honestly thought this was a playoff team. Maybe the way we played the second half made him second guess his original opinion of the team which led to the Miller signing. 

Anyway I don't think salaries of Miller Brock Myers OEL really matter. 

If we are rebuilding for picks and prospects couldn't we retain salary to make the players attractive on a trade? I mean we'll be terrible for 3 years so so does it matter that we are spending to the cap with salary retained while the team tanks? Only Aqualini should care but at the end of the day, he created this mess... 

Like OEL at 4.5 mil is a steal

Myers at 4m is a steal

Miller is still a pt / game player and should have value. We retain salary depending on theoffer

Same for Brock, Garland etc. 

I think we trade the guys who have great value and no salary retainment first and then start dismantling the rest of the team and retain salary. 

Load up on picks for 23 and 24...

Wow. That Stillman for a 2nd was ridiculous lol... 

If they are a steal at those prices, why wouldnt we keep them?  Retaining $3m of OEL is $3m dead cap for the next 7 years

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I like what Garland brings at his price tag. We need more guys that play like him. He tries his best everytime he steps on the ice. He's a 50-60 pt guy. 

He stripped Hamonic to set up a goal against OTT. 

Id rather a buzzsaw type of player than a floating guy 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Googlie said:

If they are a steal at those prices, why wouldnt we keep them?  Retaining $3m of OEL is $3m dead cap for the next 7 years

They are a steal at 4.5m

He has 4 more years after this at 7.26. 

With 2.5m retained he's more than worth that price tag. 

We don't keep him because we're paying him 7.26 on a basement team. 

Teams are in different cycles. 

We trade him to a contender with 2.5m retained. They have him for 4 more years at a very decent price tag and solidify their top 4.

We have a draft pick out prospect which we hope becomes a top 4D in 3/4 years. 

Teams are in different windows. 

I mean if we weren't in the basement and had a legitimate chance at the cup, would you take OEL at 4.7m?