The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yes, he does spend to the cap every year. But also has never allowed a proper rebuild like the vast majority of current contenders have done. What does this tell you? An owner who spends to the cap every year, gives direction to GM's that it's playoffs or bust, so that GM trades picks and futures for players to help this team "hopefully play meaningful games in March" =  playoff revenue > contending for a cup. Which in turn causes this team to finish middle of the pack/bottom 3rd, picking outside of the top 5, never having enough cap room to improve the team significantly.  This leads to a never ending cycle of mediocrity....the proof is in the pudding with the on ice product the better part of the last decade. It's painfully obvious. OF COURSE ownership it partly to blame, and they have done anything but "spoil" their loyal fans. To say Canucks fans are spoiled is a pretty crazy statement haha.

Just because Aquilini spends money doesn't automatically mean he's a good owner, that's flawed logic. You have to look at the reason he spends it. 

You don't know what he has or has not allowed.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Doesn't matter what you want tbh, the game has changed. Grier last played in 2010-2011 and the late 2000's/early 2010's were the last hurrah for that brand of hockey. Fighting simply isn't a huge part of the NHL game anymore, and has gradually become less and less of a factor as the game phased out the enforcer. 

Those days aren't coming back, the game isn't going back. 

I'm talking about Mike Grier for Boston. 

This guy

I felt sick watching the blood on the ice knowing it belong to Podz while this a-hole was hootin and hollering pumping up the crowd. 

Score was 1-1 at that point and momentum changed quite quickly from there

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Which is one of the reasons I don't trust him - he's not honest about his level of involvement with the team.  His level of disclosure to media/fans is only what he wants and never puts him in a difficult position where he has to answer for what he may or may not have done. 

And before anyone says, it's his team, he's entitled to have as little or as much involvement as he wants - true; but it's also true that fans have a right to be as critical as they want as well - it works both ways. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm talking about Mike Grier for Boston. 

This guy

I felt sick watching the blood on the ice knowing it belong to Podz while this a-hole was hootin and hollering pumping up the crowd. 

Score was 1-1 at that point and momentum changed quite quickly from there

Different guy or not, the game doesn't emphasize fighting a whole lot anymore. It's not as big a factor as longtime fans make it out to be, it just isn't. Obviously it still happens but it's become less and less common over the past decade. 

The enforcer is dead, the kind of hockey that was prevalent leading up to the late 2000's/early 2010's is dead. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Which is one of the reasons I don't trust him - he's not honest about his level of involvement with the team.  His level of disclosure to media/fans is only what he wants and never puts him in a difficult position where he has to answer for what he may or may not have done. 

And before anyone says, it's his team, he's entitled to have as little or as much involvement as he wants - true; but it's also true that fans have a right to be as critical as they want as well - it works both ways. 

Those that say JR isn’t in some sort of quasi gm position are dreaming. 

34JZzZuX_x96.jpg

Jim Rutherford will have to manage up. But vitally important that Canucks hockey-ops gets autonomy. Rutherford wouldn’t come without that assurance.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I can see a path to a quick turnaround if they're smart.

Surely if they could've make moves to enact a 'quick turnaround' they would've by now.

Either ownership or the current NHL cap-strapped market is preventing anything from happening quickly - because if it's not one of these aforementioned causes then it lies directly on JR/Allvin and that would mean they aren't as smart as they come off.  

• Vintage 1

Hot take: Demko playing like trash while our forwards score a ton this year is the best possible outcome. 

makes it much easier for Rutherford to sell management on why we need to be sellers at the deadline. 

the rebuild we’ve all wanted can finally happen. 

• There it is 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Actions speak louder than words, the moves the franchise has made over the last decade and the product on the ice speaks for itself. I haven't gone to the moon, but I know it's there because I can see it with my own eyes. 

#blameownership

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • There it is 1

19 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Hot take: Demko playing like trash while our forwards score a ton this year is the best possible outcome. 

makes it much easier for Rutherford to sell management on why we need to be sellers at the deadline. 

the rebuild we’ve all wanted can finally happen. 

Since he is management with full autonomy but apperantly accountability wasn’t a prerequisite  he is president of hockey ops   Outside of a few players the ‘best possible outcome’  or arguably the worst possible outcome should have been a little clearer for him but he is 72. And more likely has onset dementia  

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I can see a path to a quick turnaround if they're smart.

This organization has been trying to "quickly turn it around on the fly" for over a decade. You want to just keep trying that, yeah?

I guess we can just dip into our deep prospect pool and our multitude of picks to sweeten some deals too....

The ironic thing is, the very fact that we've been "re-tooling on the fly" for years is the exact reason this franchise won't be able to "quickly turn it around". They simply don't have the asset inventory or cap room to do so. 

If "they were smart" they would do the opposite of what hasn't been working for the last decade.

Definition of Insanity

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

This organization has been trying to "quickly turn it around on the fly" for over a decade. You want to keep trying that, yeah?

I guess we can just dip into our deep prospect pool and our multitude of picks to sweeten some deals too. 

Many people fail to realize that there is not shortcuts to championship teams. Its always been teardown and rebuild. Shortcuts never work and Canucks are proving it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Two words, Brad Shaw. Perhaps that's the difference from this year than last year 

Canucks' November after 16 games:

W  L   O    Pts     F - A 

2021         5    9   2    12    41 – 55

2022         4    9   3    11    53 – 66

Green's Defence       >   Bruce's Offence

Jimbo's Trades          >   Patrick's Whiffs

Himself's Hockey IQ  >   ConManJim's

Disaster lurking just around the next corner as the captain attempts to right our ship.

1 minute ago, swimsWithDucks said:

Many people fail to realize that there is not shortcuts to championship teams. Its always been teardown and rebuild. Shortcuts never work and Canucks are proving it.

Yep, look at all the best teams in the league right now. The model is fairly obvious, and it's worked. Mind you those teams have competent ownership with clear direction and hockey knowledge too, so that doesn't bode well for us.

8 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yep, look at all the best teams in the league right now. The model is fairly obvious, and it's worked. Mind you those teams have competent ownership with clear direction and hockey knowledge too, so that doesn't bode well for us.

Yeah and the only way for this to happen is for true fans to chant "Sell the Team" during home games. 

Let ownership know that we are not idiots. We don't blame management or the players because the product on the ice is ownership's fault entirely. 

#SellTheTeam

4 minutes ago, swimsWithDucks said:

Yeah and the only way for this to happen is for true fans to chant "Sell the Team" during home games. 

Let ownership know that we are not idiots. We don't blame management or the players because the product on the ice is ownership's fault entirely. 

#SellTheTeam

there's an easy solutionn for you and your ilk.  Don't go to games, don't buy merch, don't watch on SN, don't support the teams website and message board.  That's the kind of activism I'd like to see from you.

• Cheers 4

16 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

and JB didn't take a short cut.......rebuilds take a long time to bear fruit and we can see the young guys starting to take over.........isn't that what we want?  For this team to belong to Petey, Hughes, Podz, Hogz etc?  PA made a huge blunder with the MIller and Boeser deals, but he did bring in some good support for the young guys over the summer too.  Now, he has a chance to fix his mistake.......we'll see if he's got the balls to do it.

• Cheers 3