The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Vancouver and Columbus in trade talks

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

As much as you kind of want to do this. It wasn’t long ago when Pettersson said on signing his next contract he wants to play for a winning team. You trade both those players for futures we’ll be near the bottom for a bit and he could potentially ask for a trade.

you cannot GM like that

have you ever told your boss, "Don't fire Joe, or I'll quit."?

He Just says, "Nice knowing you"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

Don't misunderstand me... I don't like Myers and see the same defensive deficiencies everyone else does,. just believe that his, and his contract and play isn't the anchor that OEL is.

Myers is right handed. His contract at 50% retained for 2 years is tradeable.

OEL was alright last year, but not with his contract, and his play is only declining. His contact is prohibitive to move.

The number of Dmen that come here, only to have their games digress, is alarming. It's painful. 

• Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

The issue with “OEL is the problem” talk is that if you’re “rebuilding” you aren’t giving up assets to move him out and may as well keep him. 

If you’re re-tooling, moving him out just creates one more hole in an already thin top 4.  We need an RHD and a 3C before we tinker with the left side of the D core. 

Finally, he has an NMC which if I were him I’d be using to block trades to the cellar dweller teams with the cap space to eat his contract.  Really, the discussion there would be more about a potential buyout.  

Which to me circles back to the RD / 3C conundrum - you already have two big holes to fill, why create another?  

Are you really going to find a better player for the ~4 mil space your saving after a buyout?  And that’s assuming you find it for free/low cost.  Likely finding a good player on a nice deal is going to cost assets. 

Meanwhile, it’s a big stretch to think OEL’s play this year is all age related.  When the entire team is playing crap defensively, it’s going to make everyone look worse.  

Edler is older than OEL will be when his contract ends and we’re seeing guys like Doughty and Karlsson still playing at v high levels older than OEL.  I’d wait until he has a good partner and the team finds its structure before assuming he’s out of gas.

I don't think OEL's problems are all age related, but that is all the more concerning. His skating looks labored, and he is making mental mistakes by being out of position or giving the puck away in ways he didn't before. The only option is to work with him and attempt to rehabilitate his playing ability. He will never be worth his cotract, but we cant afford to buy him out, nor give up the assets needed to trade him (If he waves his no move clause in any event).

The entire team has been playing defensively like crap for years, which is exactly why it is staggering that the management group doubled down by resigning Boeser and Miller. For those that like Bo, he doesn't penalty kill, and while wins face-offs isn't a defensive magician. If you look at the '11 team, where is the Burrows, Kesler, Malholtra, Hansen, Higgins, and Bieksa's of this team? The make up of this team is off, and its frustrating that we aren't seeing the changes it needs. Management thinks it can tinker around the edges, but to me it's clear that changed are needed to the top lines and not just the corners.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

I don't think OEL's problems are all age related, but that is all the more concerning. His skating looks labored, and he is making mental mistakes by being out of position or giving the puck away in ways he didn't before. The only option is to work with him and attempt to rehabilitate his playing ability. He will never be worth his cotract, but we cant afford to buy him out, nor give up the assets needed to trade him (If he waves his no move clause in any event).

The entire team has been playing defensively like crap for years, which is exactly why it is staggering that the management group doubled down by resigning Boeser and Miller. For those that like Bo, he doesn't penalty kill, and while wins face-offs isn't a defensive magician. If you look at the '11 team, where is the Burrows, Kesler, Malholtra, Hansen, Higgins, and Bieksa's of this team? The make up of this team is off, and its frustrating that we aren't seeing the changes it needs. Management thinks it can tinker around the edges, but to me it's clear that changed are needed to the top lines and not just the corners.

I’ve thought he’s really evened out lately after a rough patch to start the season.  I also think due to his contract there’s a lot of people making a huge stink over every little mistake he makes and confirmation bias starts to snowball.  He’s made some obvious errors but besides the PK, his overall stats are alright considering his usage and the team’s struggles. 

As for the team makeup, I agree - even if Mikahayev is that style of player.  They need more. 

I do think the team is capable of a lot better than it’s current record though. If management isn’t going to rebuild, they need to be very careful who goes in and out because “change for the sake of change” would be an emotionally driven amateur hour disaster. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

It would be awesome if they wanted Miller for some reason and we could get a 1st non protected and prospect or playable player.

Maybe the Rangers will give us Chytil, Lundquist (who they traded for a first so we get that Dallas first) and their own 2023 first? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe the Rangers will give us Chytil, Lundquist (who they traded for a first so we get that Dallas first) and their own 2023 first? 

I don't know but at this rate we do need another 1st rounder and to get rid of Miller or Bo.Plus others.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, lmm said:

you cannot GM like that

have you ever told your boss, "Don't fire Joe, or I'll quit."?

He Just says, "Nice knowing you"

I mean it’s unpractical to think that you want to strip it down almost bare but have the current young guys wait it out and want to stay. So if you’re going to rebuild really only Hughes has enough term that he’d still be locked in for when you’d expect to be good.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I mean it’s unpractical to think that you want to strip it down almost bare but have the current young guys wait it out and want to stay. So if you’re going to rebuild really only Hughes has enough term that he’d still be locked in for when you’d expect to be good.

Will be very interesting (and nerve wracking) to see how management handles Petey’s situation.  

I agree if they go full rebuild he’s not sticking around.  

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Miller + Rathbone for Boqvist and Kent Johnson (if they won't give us silinger) + some cap dump we can maybe flip 

If you Cheer for the Vancouver Canucks. This trade is Fantastic. 

If you Cheer for the Columbus Blue Jackets you are violently thrown into a deep depression. This will be the first domino in the unraveling of your life. You will find yourself living in a dumpster behind nationwide arena, trying to pick up the pieces. 

Edited by The Yorkton Terrier
  • Haha 3
  • There it is 1

This team does have a gap in defence.  

we have a gap at coach as well. 

scotty walker.

there is a reversal of coaching last season that had an impact.  

Green was preaching defence, cause he knew his new defence group  had 4 new players and each pair was new with Hughes and Schenn returning that made it not a near total defence turn over.

Myers and OEL had a great back 3/4 of the year.

had Bo not gotten injured, I think this team makes last years playoffs,

But now we can keep a lead or defend a zone.  Bruce is a freewheeling coach.  Old school.

He went to far to the wold side and his players did let him down.

that and Demko just was terrible for a bit.

it can happen.

If the Captain is being dealt and the coach is being replaced, it better right the godammed ship.

I also am ashamed of the entitled assholes mocking one of the most loved personalities in the game that grew into an NHL coach the hard way,

You can afford a ticket to a game.  Feel lucky to be there, some of us are on the very bottom and it’s a luxury and entertainment.

the number of instances Vancouver Fans have earned their bad rap, from the Old Canada Cup game that Canada lost in Vancouver, to the riots.

like riots.

cup winning teams riot,

cup losing teams go home quietly.  Because silence is the sound of losing,

Edited by Phat Fingers

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

This team does have a gap in defence.  

we have a gap at coach as well. 

scotty walker.

there is a reversal of coaching last season that had an impact.  

Green was preaching defence, cause he knew his new defence group  had 4 new players and each pair was new with Hughes and Schenn returning that made it not a near total defence turn over.

Myers and OEL had a great back 3/4 of the year.

had Bo not gotten injured, I think this team makes last years playoffs,

But now we can keep a lead or defend a zone.  Bruce is a freewheeling coach.  Old school.

He went to far to the wold side and his players did let him down.

that and Demko just was terrible for a bit.

it can happen.

If the Captain is being dealt and the coach is being replaced, it better right the godammed ship.

I also am ashamed of the entitled assholes mocking one of the most loved personalities in the game that grew into an NHL coach the hard way,

You can afford a ticket to a game.  Feel lucky to be there, some of us are on the very bottom and it’s a luxury and entertainment.

the number of instances Vancouver Fans have earned their bad rap, from the Old Canada Cup game that Canada lost in Vancouver, to the riots.

like riots.

cup winning teams riot,

cup losing teams go home quietly.  Because silence is the sound of losing,

Are some Canuck fans mocking Boudreau?  Or is it a different coach? 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are some Canuck fans mocking Boudreau?  Or is it a different coach? 

I thought the ‘Bruce there it is’ was basically what Montreal Fans did to Roy when he played his last game and the fans cheered in mockery to him making a save.

thats how the eastern media framed it.

It looked pretty bad on TV.  

his GM is running him down in public, the team interviewed Tochet and his players, especially Demko and Brock have been terrible on the first 12 games.

Myers was injured for the first 6 and Hughes played injured for the first 6 or more.  

who knows what was going on with Demko, all I can say, I know he will find his game.  

just a bump, not a gully.  

It looked like mockery.  After a 4 game winning streak, even 5 game streak… knock on wood.  it would look genuine.

so unless the team goes for a streak, right now, Bruce is done and that will not age well.

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1