Kuz Petey Mikheyev

Podkolzin Karlsson/Dries/ufa Hoglander

Joshua Aman Lazar

Hughes Zub

Gavrikov Bear

OEL Schenn

Demko

Martin

lmao.. u trade ur 15th overall pick to dump pearson and poolman that prolly ends up in LTIR?? u being serious? 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

When you draft at that spot, you take the BPA. You don't draft for need!

Since the passing of Luc Bourdon… we hadnt picked a dman in the first round since Brian Allen in ‘98. Bourdon was to be that next big named blue-liner. From 2008 onward, you know what BPA did to replace the loss of Bourdon and the future gaping hole on the back end?

2008 - Drafted Cody Hodgson 10th OA

Coulda maybe chose organizational needs first and possibly had any one of

Tyler Myers 12th OA

Zach Boychuk 14th OA

ERIK KARLSSON 15th OA

JOHN CARLSON 27th OA

but naaah… lets take a small forward.

2011 - Nicklas Jensen 29th OA

Coulda had Scott Mayfield at 34th OA

Joel Edmundson 46th OA

2012 - Brendan Gaunce 26th OA

yea thats what we’re doing wrong, lets draft a bigger forward!

missed out on Brady Skjei 28th OA

2013 - 2 first round picks.

Bo Horvat 9th OA - sure okay thats fine…. Oh and lets grab a small forward thats fast because the last 2 were big and slow.
Lets take Hunter Shinkaruk 24th OA

Missed out on Shea Theodore 26th OA

Doesn’t seem like BPA has done us aaaaaaany favours.  Imagine if we thought of organizational needs just once. 

On 11/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, Alflives said:

Benning went and watched OJ in one tournament and declared that was his guy.  He overruled the scouts who had been following those players for years, based on his very limited observation of just one guy.  The next draft Benning wanted Glass and Linden had to step in and allow the scouts to make the choice, which was Petey.  It’s all been posted here lots of times.  

So out of curiousity… what made OJ a bad pick?

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Matt Tkatchuk made OJ a terrible pick.  

You’re deflecting. What made OJ such a bad pick at the time. You say you knew it was a bad pick. What makes OJ the player a bad choice for an organization with zero D prospects. Zero.

There were zero guarantees Tkachuk would become the player he is and he also made Laine, Puuljujarvi and Dubois all look bad picks. Puuljujarvi especially. Funny enough none of those players are with the organization that drafted them. They are taking their prime years elsewhere, while CGY gets a declining Huberdeau and Weegar.

21 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Yup. That is a bustaroo of a pick.

Just going back to 2015...At 15, you could have had:

-Barzal, Connor or Chabot

-Chychrun (McAvoy at 14)

-Valimaki or Thomas

-K'andre Miller (Farabee at 14)

-Caufield, Newhook, Krebs

-Guhle, Mercer, Schneider

Do those mid teen picks appear to be throw aways?

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

You’re deflecting. What made OJ such a bad pick at the time. You say you knew it was a bad pick. What makes OJ the player a bad choice for an organization with zero D prospects. Zero.

There were zero guarantees Tkachuk would become the player he is and he also made Laine, Puuljujarvi and Dubois all look bad picks. Puuljujarvi especially. Funny enough none of those players are with the organization that drafted them. They are taking their prime years elsewhere, while CGY gets a declining Huberdeau and Weegar.

Isn't Poolparty still with Edmonton?  Also in your previous quote you forgot we picked Hughes in the first round.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

-Chychrun (McAvoy at 14)

-Valimaki or Thomas

I think he's referring to the player himself likely being a bust.  Waaayyyy too early to call that but he's not having a good year so far, so expect these comments to become more common I suppose.

41 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Isn't Poolparty still with Edmonton?  Also in your previous quote you forgot we picked Hughes in the first round.

Hughes was after OJ. We drafted OJ because we were desperate for a dman. Remove Bourdon from he draft and we went 18 years between 1st round dmen selections.

Was Poolparty worth a 4th overall selection?  Dont think so. They took Pooparty over Tkachuk. We took a dman because we needed one far more than a forward and still we are hurting on D because we spent 16 years drafting 1st round forward busts.

44 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Sorry yes PJ is back with edmonton, after dippin to europe for a few years and he’s likely to be moved and rumours are he is unhappy and wanted out

4 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

A lot of rankings pre draft had Sergachev over Juolevi. I had him over him. And tkachuk is the obvious one especially since they were on the same team. So scouted him a lot. I wasn’t high tkachuk though but I really wanted Sergachev I was unsure about chychrun and thought it woulda been too high for mcavoy. 

but like you said I woulda taken PLD and the fins over tkachuk juolevi and Sergachev 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

-Chychrun (McAvoy at 14)

-Valimaki or Thomas

And a little further back JT Miller was a 15 pick

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

A lot of rankings pre draft had Sergachev over Juolevi. I had him over him. And tkachuk is the obvious one especially since they were on the same team. So scouted him a lot. I wasn’t high tkachuk though but I really wanted Sergachev I was unsure about chychrun and thought it woulda been too high for mcavoy. 

but like you said I woulda taken PLD and the fins over tkachuk juolevi and Sergachev 

Actually OJ and Chychrun were consistently higher ranked than Serg. Sergachev ranged from 6th to 17th, Chychrun ranged from 4th to 17th and OJ ranged from 5th to 11th. But OJ was consistently higher than every other dman. I feel like had OJ not been hampered by injuries, there wouldnt be such a devestating feeling of loss from fans. The thing is there are ZERO guarantees in the draft, you can draft 1st OA and completely ruin them and another franchise can draft beyond 20th and slowly develop that player in to the best player of that draft class.

Maybe I’m getting my info from the wrong sources, but heres my link for rankings as they approached the 2016 draft.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

Its not that OJ was a bad pick/off the board selection. Its that injuries are what derailed “what could have been”. 

you look back at every draft, “BPA” never goes in order. Guys flourish and guys flounder. OJ was neither, health was just never on his side right after being drafted, we desperately needed a dman and took the guy who most people had picked to go top 10, moreso than Sergachev and Chychrun

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Hughes was after OJ. We drafted OJ because we were desperate for a dman. Remove Bourdon from he draft and we went 18 years between 1st round dmen selections.

Was Poolparty worth a 4th overall selection?  Dont think so. They took Pooparty over Tkachuk. We took a dman because we needed one far more than a forward and still we are hurting on D because we spent 16 years drafting 1st round forward busts.

So with our highest pick in a long time we take a D bust.  Benning overruled his scouts because he saw OJ at one tournament and insisted that was “his guy”.  Tkatchuk was the clear choice with that pick.  BPA.  Big Benning mistake. 

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So with our highest pick in a long time we take a D bust.  Benning overruled his scouts because he saw OJ at one tournament and insisted that was “his guy”.  Tkatchuk was the clear choice with that pick.  BPA.  Big Benning mistake. 

Stop living in the past.  If we picked Tkachuk, we wouldn't have Hughes or Pettersson right now.  I don't want that "ME" type player on the Canucks.  Selfish just like his dad.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Actually OJ and Chychrun were consistently higher ranked than Serg. Sergachev ranged from 6th to 17th, Chychrun ranged from 4th to 17th and OJ ranged from 5th to 11th. But OJ was consistently higher than every other dman. I feel like had OJ not been hampered by injuries, there wouldnt be such a devestating feeling of loss from fans. The thing is there are ZERO guarantees in the draft, you can draft 1st OA and completely ruin them and another franchise can draft beyond 20th and slowly develop that player in to the best player of that draft class.

Maybe I’m getting my info from the wrong sources, but heres my link for rankings as they approached the 2016 draft.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

Its not that OJ was a bad pick/off the board selection. Its that injuries are what derailed “what could have been”. 

you look back at every draft, “BPA” never goes in order. Guys flourish and guys flounder. OJ was neither, health was just never on his side right after being drafted, we desperately needed a dman and took the guy who most people had picked to go top 10, moreso than Sergachev and Chychrun

Damn I lost my reply I was typing to you..

the top 3 d were juolevi Sergachev and chychrun.

all from the OHL.

and who won OHL defencmen of the year Sergachev. That does say soemthing.

for rankings their rankings weren’t a clear consensus and they changed throughout the year. By the end juolevi got ranking bumps for being on a memorial cup winning team and world jr gold winning team. So he got an extended look and looked pretty good. 

but he didn’t have a single trait that really stood out as NHL caliber asides from being a smooth skater.

chuchrun and serg both showed traits of franchise top pairing dmen. 

juolevi looked like a really safe pick though. Like he looked like he had an nhl regular as a floor but a lower ceiling then the other two. 

I was dead set on wanting serg on draft day. But made peace with the puck hoping he wasn’t just a product of his environment.

I think his biggest issue was his attitude and commitment to being a pro. Then injuries second. Many kids overcome injuries. I know it’s extra difficult but he wasn’t able to. 

when Salo was critical of him and that time didn’t go well in Finland I had really lost a lot of hope and optimism he’d be a player for us 

• Cheers 2