The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, lmm said:

However, if you hire Norland, they just say, no that is not how we conduct business

if you hire Bob's Ca$h $ale builder$ and funeral emporium (ca$h $ale$ $ave$ on taxe$)

He'll buildit anyway you want it, no permits, no insurance, no contracts, no hassles... trust us (insert picture of smiling old lady with a cane and a one eyed schnauzer)

Yup.  The only successful GM Aquilini’s has following that “sell the future in hopes to win now” model was Gillis.  

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

This is why you need players that bleed blue, green and white.  We only have Petey and maybe Podz, Aman, Lazar and Bo that have these characteristics.    Players like Demko, Miller, Boeser dont give a crap about winning here.  They know they get paid even if we lose. 

We screwed up when we let Tanev, Marky, Stetch go.  They bled Canuck.  

I wonder what the return would have been for Demko is Benning would have traded him right after the Bubble?  

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good analogy except the guy who hired the contractor insisted on the pool being built before the house.  And he wanted a sauna, jacuzzi, and tennis court.  Then, when the contractor suggests it’s time to actually properly build the house, the owner fires that contractor and hires a new one, and gets him to continue building e everything except the house. 

Yeah I didn't know how deep into the metaphor I wanted to go. Lol

At the end of the day I'm just trying to sum up the fact that no one expected a cup contending team in a year given the situation we were in... But we see GMs move players all the time. 

I'm in no way saying Toronto is a good example, but they are proof that a cap strapped team can still make large moves. Things can, and should have been happening since the day JR took over and we decided to hire a bunch of AGMs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

15 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

This is why you need players that bleed blue, green and white.  We only have Petey and maybe Podz, Aman, Lazar and Bo that have these characteristics.    Players like Demko, Miller, Boeser dont give a crap about winning here.  They know they get paid even if we lose. 

This is how we should measure whether we keep a guy or not. Are you willing to sacrifice? or coast around like you don't care about winning or even protecting a lead for your goalie at all costs. Are you willing to stick up for your fellow teammate? Are you willing to take the body or lay down to block a shot? 

They need to do something to weed out these dead weights ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I disagree whole-heartedly

I don't think our players need to bleed BlueGreen and White

they need to bleed hockey

and they need little Ws coursing through their veins

Look at some of the guys who really propelled this team to the finals

Bolderev, Nill, Williams / Hunter, Craven, Momesso, Babych/ Malhotra, Samuelsson, Higgins, Lapierre, Kesler, Salo

these guy didn't bleed blue and green

they wanted to win

some of these guys barely played 1 full season in Vancouver, but they brought a winning attitude ( dare I say culture) to Vancouver with them, and took it when they left

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is how we should measure whether we keep a guy or not. Are you willing to sacrifice? or coast around like you don't care about winning or even protecting a lead for your goalie at all costs. Are you willing to stick up for your fellow teammate? Are you willing to take the body or lay down to block a shot? 

They need to do something to weed out these dead weights ASAP.

well, we could just go around cutting guys and see what colour their blood is

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Burr is better, but I still think they would've lost last night with him in instead of Stillman. 

The problem is not just a few players.  Really need all 19-20 players doing their part. 

Burr could have fought someone to inspire the boys. Seems like something he's good at, almost like what Dorsett used to do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Marky had to leave because of the expansion draft. It was a close decision and our hand was forced, especially looking at age and Demko's upside.

Stetch is really not what we want in the playoffs. Stech is great utility guy but not what helped us in the playoffs. 

But I absolutely agree with the bleeding green and blue part. Which is why I like Burroughs so much.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Marky had to leave because of the expansion draft. It was a close decision and our hand was forced, especially looking at age and Demko's upside.

Stetch is really not what we want in the playoffs. Stech is great utility guy but not what helped us in the playoffs. 

Didn't he go PPG for LA or something in the playoffs I seem to remember him being great despite them losing?

7 hours ago, gurn said:

For me

at this point; I enjoy watching the younger guys playing and growing as pro players. Poda, Hogs and........   looks like there isn't enough future players.

Also, unfortunately, some are not getting much ice time, so I don't get to see the future in action as much as I'd like.

That leaves the 'current crop', and the guy's whose best play is behind them.

The current folk, like EP, Bo, Hughes and similar aged guys just aren't enough to win with.

Past, or almost past their prime guys, like Miller, OEL  are decaying assets- I would be amazed if any of them are with this team when it becomes competitive.

Every year OEL is older and slower, same with Meyers- but the really freaky thing is; as bad as it is now it would be terrible without them. And there is nobody in the pipeline to replace those guys.

Woo is a possibility to play in the NHL- but won't be top pair material, and likely not even middle pair.

Its bleak... I'll give you that. 
OEL is going nowhere, almost as sure as taxes...

I do think, there may be a middle way, but whether it just leads to more mediocricy, I don't know...

sell 2-3 forwards at TDL... +Myers for picks and prospects...

Use the cap space avaiable to get 2 RHDs

and then see where that leads to...

If its more of the same blow it up entirely. 

Could get a decent haul over the next 2 year for the prospects pool and turn it around. 

• Cheers 3