The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Connor Bedard really the best player in the 2023 NHL draft?

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I've been looking at the top prospects for this draft, and it really is a doozy of a draft.  I would say it may even be better than 2003.  I want to focus soley on two players for simplicity here.  Connor Bedard vs. Adam Fantilli.  Is Connor Bedard better than Adam Fantilli?  If you were not Vancouver and unbiased, who would you pick?

Connor Bedard is currently averaging over 2 points per game as a 17 year old in the CHL, 2.18 to be exact.  For comparison, Connor McDavid averaged 2.55 points per game in his draft year.  So, although Bedard is not at the level of McDavid thus far he is still in elite category and easily has the numbers to be a #1 overall pick and a superstar in the NHL.

Adam Fantilli is currently averaging almost 2 points per game as a 17 year old in the NCAA, 1.92 to be exact.  For comparison, Jack Eichel averaged 1.77 points per game in his draft year in the NCAA. 

So Bedard's points per game is higher than Fantilli.  However, Bedard is playing in the CHL against teenagers while Fantilli is playing in the NCAA against men.  So, are the numbers a true reflection of what's to come at the NHL level?  McDavid was so far ahead of Eichel that it didn't matter that he was in the CHL, but for Bedard and Fantilli the numbers are very close.

The other thing to consider is that Fantilli is 6'3" and 200 pounds, while Bedard is 5'10" and 185 pounds.  Both are elite skaters, both have a great shot and both have elite play making abilities.

At the end of the day, they are very close in comparison, and both would easily have been the #1 overall pick in the last few drafts.  I would say either player goes #1 in the 2017-2022 drafts easy.

So, if two players are this close, then how do you decide who to take?  Well, for me if two players are close I would always take the player with more size.  That's the NHL for you.  Size always matters if you have two players with equal talent.  So, the question becomes are Connor Bedard and Adam Fantilli equal talents?  If not, then you go for Bedard.  If they are relatively equal than I think scouts may choose to go for the bigger player.

It will be interesting to see how Bedard and Fantilli play for the rest of the year.  I am certain that these two players will go #1 and #2 in the draft.  I am just not convinced 100% that Bedard is the one going #1 overall at this point.  And if somehow Vancouver gets that #1 overall pick, well then that is a huge dilemma.  But, to be honest I can't see how Vancouver doesn't take Bedard if they have the #1 overall pick.  The marketing alone would be a huge driver and Aquilini loves marketing.

I think either way you can't go wrong really.  Both players are elite and both will be superstars in this league.  Bedard would probably be the best fit in Vancouver, but if another team gets the #1 overall pick, is Bedard really a slam dunk to go #1 overall?

You say McDavid was far ahead of Eichel but I remember there were some pundits questioning who should go first overall. They probably were saying the same thing: Eichel is playing against men putting up numbers almost never seen before while McDavid against teenagers.

WHL seems to be more defensive league and therefore harder to score than the OHL. Bedard's 2.18 in the WHL to McDavid's 2.55 in the OHL may not be that far off.

Fantilli's has just played 12 games thus far. If he indeed ends the season at or near 2 PPG, then that will be super impressive indeed.

If everything is equal, you go with bigger guy for sure. But I think Bedard's skill level might be at a notch above Fantilli's.

If we get #1 overall pick, we should go with the consensus #1, which will be Bedard. Imagine we go off the board and pick Fantilli and Bedard goes on to become the next best player in the league and win cups for another team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Fantili’s size is also a factor into helping him deal with playing against young guys who are a little more physically matured. It would be more impressive if he was a little undersized and putting up those numbers against much bigger and stronger players.

The fact that Bedard is doing what he does at 5'10 180 lbs is a testament of his skill level. Bigger guys that physically matured early have put up great numbers in the NHL only to disappoint once they got to the NHL (i.e. Virtanen).

Not saying Fantilli is Virtanen but size can mask some issues at junior and amateur levels.

Edited by jyu

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I still have Michkov #2. As with last year when I had Miro #2 through my final ranking, my lists are based purely on projected upside, not where I think they'll actually go. Right now Carlsson vs. Fantilli is razor-close. I'm not going to try to make a determination on that one until after I see them at World Juniors.

What is Michkov's projected upside?

Is he the next Bure or more like Kucherov?

27 minutes ago, jyu said:

The fact that Bedard is doing what he does at 5'10 180 lbs is a testament of his skill level. Bigger guys that physically matured early have put up great numbers in the NHL only to disappoint once they got to the NHL (aka Virtanen).

Not saying Fantilli is Virtanen but size can mask some issues at junior and amateur levels.

Bedard is playing (mostly) against boys, who are lighter than him.  Fantilli is playing (mostly) against men who are stronger than him.  Getting one of these two would be fantastic for us.  

1 hour ago, jyu said:

What is Michkov's projected upside?

Is he the next Bure or more like Kucherov?

Yeah quite a bit different than both. Hard to think of a good comparison. His most standout skill is his skating agility/edges. Just an absolute whirlwind working out of the corners. Not sure I've ever seen anything quite like it. Little bits Crosby, Kariya, Skinner.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think at this age, the 9 month difference between these two is pretty significant. That said, this could be one of those insane drafts where two superstars are picked at #1 and #2, like 2004 (Ovechkin, Malkin), 2008 (Stamkos, Doughty), 2009 (Tavares, Hedman), 2013 (MacKinnon, Barkov), and 2015 (McDavid, Eichel).

Jeezus, you really can't go wrong with any of those players on your team. Wow they are some handy 1st/2nd overall picks. Makes me want to cry...if only the Canucks could pick up some draft picks like that!

I hate it when people bring up player A plays against men, while player B play against teenage. Therefore, player A is more NHL ready than player B/ better.

I’m an adult, who plays in a REC league against other adults, but if Bedard came in and played against us. He’ll probably make us look like fools.

Also, I bet more than half of the players who play collegian hockey aren’t 100% focus in playing in the NHL. Some player take the college route, because it’s a backup plan, if their hockey plan fails. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, jyu said:

If everything is equal, you go with bigger guy for sure. But I think Bedard's skill level might be at a notch above Fantilli's.

Yeah, well Bedard was rewarded with exceptional status due extraordinary agility, power in his arsenal, balance. In his legs, in his stickwork, shot. 

Fantilli might have that in his work with the puck? Has balance, similar ability to hold guys off, spin. And he is bigger, still  very fast. All things being equal, you would make the decider size.  But even Malkin cannot beat guys like Sid can walk past D. Just like nobody could stop Bure, cannot stop Makar. If Fantilli had that agility, breakaway power to offer two steps of space every time he moves? He would have been in the same discussion already for years...   

That power and agility is too compelling for me. 

Bedard, easy pick!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

I hate it when people bring up player A plays against men, while player B play against teenage.

Worth mentioning Bedard was among the leagues best players in the WHL.  Had 28 points in 15 games.

When he was 15 years old! FIFTEEN.  Its crazy stuff!

Playing against 18 year old 6'2'' D...

13 hours ago, jyu said:

You say McDavid was far ahead of Eichel but I remember there were some pundits questioning who should go first overall. They probably were saying the same thing: Eichel is playing against men putting up numbers almost never seen before while McDavid against teenagers.

WHL seems to be more defensive league and therefore harder to score than the OHL. Bedard's 2.18 in the WHL to McDavid's 2.55 in the OHL may not be that far off.

Fantilli's has just played 12 games thus far. If he indeed ends the season at or near 2 PPG, then that will be super impressive indeed.

If we get #1 overall pick, we should go with the consensus #1, which will be Bedard. Imagine we go off the board and pick Fantilli and Bedard goes on to become the next best player in the league and win cups for another team.

I remember that too, but it was never a real comparison between McDavid and Eichel. Writing articles on a consensus number 1 for an entire year that people have known for years leading up to the draft don't sell clicks. I think Bedard definitely go number 1 but it'll be a bit closer than McDavid vs Eichel. 

• Vintage 1