The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Florida Panthers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, IBatch said:

Maybe.   But don't forget Edler beat him out of camp.    And rightly so.  Bourdon was tragic for sure.   So was not re-signing Mitchell.   Get his concision stuff, but he became an integral part in LAs teams which blew chunks.    Canuck luck is the worst. 

I was a big Mitchell supporter. But when I saw what kind of money LA was throwing at Mitchell, I was like. Wow. Good on you for taking a chance. Mitchell in the end had the last laugh.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree the 2010 -2012 teams were great.  Best we've ever had.  But Gillis (under the direction of our owner) did make moves that were designed to win now.  The moves clearly worked out (mostly) but the cost was a team that could win over a longer period.  

Sedin teams were great for sure.  Best we've ever had in the regular season.   Our best post season teams still belong to the Linden teams - including the final hurrah against Turco, when he was played on the 3rd line and not used on the PP.    To me, that's the only season that really matters.   Gillis used all his cap savings on Booth and Ballard.    Both guys got bought out. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

That Demko plays injured and not tell coaches or phycisians about it.

It’s to nobody’s benefit to do something like that. That’s not even taking into account that the canucks training/ medical staff is second to none in this league 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was a big Mitchell supporter. But when I saw what kind of money LA was throwing at Mitchell, I was like. Wow. Good on you for taking a chance. Mitchell in the end had the last laugh.

Well 200k more than Keith Ballard.   After being our best defenseman for a couple seasons.   No - we screws the pooch on that one.   Ballard got bought out and we gave up a first rounder to do it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Get we needed an Edler replacement.   That was a result of OJ not working out. If we wanted to pick just one thing that went very wrong in the JB era, that was the pivotal moment.    Covid didn't help much either - but unlike some, it didn't bother me much to move on from the remnants of the last core.   Have to at some point anyways.    OEL is far from the major issue .... letting the cap shed naturally and picking 9th instead, likely meant we picked 9th again last season or higher.   And maybe we'd be seeing some benefit now, maybe not. 

In retrospect, the OJ pick was arguably one of the worst picks made in the past 10 years in light of the draft position and how many players taken after him made larger impacts. I wonder where this team would be right now if Jett Woo and OJ turned out to be legit top 4 d men.  

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Get well soon, Demko.

Fi8ys5fX0AAnUG_?format=jpg&name=large

Was Demko hurt the whole time, just nagging and it was aggravated last night… or worse?

if so, then Martin is our tank for the season.. sorry goalie…. deep, deep draft.

loads of talent and we have assets to play with too.

didnt Rutherford and Alvin find Murray in the scrap heap and made him a cup winner… twice… 

having Demko on the shelf with the elves for the season, would green light Tankathon  2023 with Beddard or bust..

without having to ‘gut’ the core…ala the few times that Rutherford wasted some of Crosbies early years to get a nice pick…

Martin has a steady presence and this is also a good news piece for Mikey D on the farm.

Silvos gets brought up and time to deal some excess depth pieces for a bargain price of as little cap back as possible.

one or two moves… Garland, Pearson and or Boeser would free up bucks for signing Bo..if he is still into the club or getting cold feet.

Myers is a contract that gets easier to move after July 2nd… 

frees up the management and owners to make any moves that they want..

so the gloves are coming off and things will change after the last two home games.

needs to happen.  Why.. Demko was not himself.  Now we know why,.. 

the injury last year didn’t recover properly most likely.

the Beddard Tankathon has begun… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Trimming around the perimeter isn’t gonna do it. If the plan is to change the make up of the team then this can only happen at the very top of the roster.

Rebuilding teams don't rid themselves of their entire roster... Some of the guys will stay. Hopefully Petey and Hughes.

Don't think those guys are the problem IMO.

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

Was Demko hurt the whole time, just nagging and it was aggravated last night… or worse?

if so, then Martin is our tank for the season.. sorry goalie…. deep, deep draft.

loads of talent and we have assets to play with too.

didnt Rutherford and Alvin find Murray in the scrap heap and made him a cup winner… twice… 

having Demko on the shelf with the elves for the season, would green light Tankathon  2023 with Beddard or bust..

without having to ‘gut’ the core…ala the few times that Rutherford wasted some of Crosbies early years to get a nice pick…

Martin has a steady presence and this is also a good news piece for Mikey D on the farm.

Silvos gets brought up and time to deal some excess depth pieces for a bargain price of as little cap back as possible.

one or two moves… Garland, Pearson and or Boeser would free up bucks for signing Bo..if he is still into the club or getting cold feet.

Myers is a contract that gets easier to move after July 2nd… 

frees up the management and owners to make any moves that they want..

so the gloves are coming off and things will change after the last two home games.

needs to happen.  Why.. Demko was not himself.  Now we know why,.. 

the injury last year didn’t recover properly most likely.

the Beddard Tankathon has begun… 

I think DiPietro has been traded. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Darius said:

In retrospect, the OJ pick was arguably one of the worst picks made in the past 10 years in light of the draft position and how many players taken after him made larger impacts. I wonder where this team would be right now if Jett Woo and OJ turned out to be legit top 4 d men.  

No doubt.  We really needed at least one of those guys to work out. 

You really don't realize how important guys like Tanev, Mitchell, Bieksa and Hamhuis are til they're gone. Life without steady d-men is brutal. Hughes is getting bullied, OEL is playing too much, Stillman is a deer in headlights, Myers is meh at best, Bear is meh, Schenn is playing way too much.

The really tragic part is our blueline organizational depth is non existent. So help is not coming from within, we have to pay in assets or free up cap and hope for a not overpaid free agent. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

Just now, N7Nucks said:

You really don't realize how important guys like Tanev, Mitchell, Bieksa and Hamhuis are til they're gone. Life without steady d-men is brutal. Hughes is getting bullied, OEL is playing too much, Stillman is a deer in headlights, Myers is meh at best, Bear is meh, Schenn is playing way too much.

The really tragic part is our blueline organizational depth is non existent. So help is not coming from within, we have to pay in assets or free up cap and hope for a not overpaid free agent. 

Blame Mike Gillis!:lol:

• Haha 1