The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Serious question, for all those saying JR and PA have done nothing to improve this team would we have the same record so far without:

Mikheyev

Kuzmenko

Lazar

Bear

Studnicka

Aman

Joshua

And would this team be better or same if they had kept:

Lammikko

Chiasson

Dickinson

Richardson

Hamonic

Highmore

Who has said he has done nothing? like absolute nadda? that's not the case. 

His support players have been good additions. Our core has been great, sans Demko. I think Bo, EP, QH , JT are all at least at a ppg click.

Where JR deserves criticism is his dragging his ass on getting some top 4 D-help. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I liked his game from day 1.  He has some untapped offensive ability under that higher tier bottom 6 shell of his.  Good size, speed, and compete level too.

At some point this season, I'd like to see Lane Pedersen get a shot. He's going pretty good in Abby. Right handed shot, center, good size too.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Kuzmenko

Mikheyev

Lazar

Studnicka

Bear

Aman

Joshua

Dermott

I don't know why people are trying to create the narrative they have done nothing, because they have. Including attracting the most sought after European free agent who had at least 20 other suitors. 

The "they didn't completely rebuild the blueline in one off season" argument holds no water. 

True enough, but still following the owner's mantra to make "win now" moves while paying for those moves with futures.  Whether it's picks traded away or cap space conceded, it's still costing us our future.  Picks are clearly what we need to for a better tomorrow (higher and more) and cap space can be used to take on other team's bad expiring contracts while adding picks and prospects to do so.  Hopefully JR can rebuild the club how he sees fit without the owner getting in the way.  IMHAO the owner got in the way of a Miller for futures trade last TDL.  

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Who has said he has done nothing? like absolute nadda? that's not the case. 

His support players have been good additions. Our core has been great, sans Demko. I think Bo, EP, QH , JT are all at least at a ppg click.

Where JR deserves criticism is his dragging his ass on getting some top 4 D-help. 

I can literally copy and paste like 10 people who have literally said they've done nothing to improve the team lol it's everywhere. 

And what assets do the Canucks have to acquire a top 4 d man? If they do that, that means they are trying to "win now" and then everyone looses their minds because they want a rebuild. What does acquiring a top 4 dman do for this team right now? That doesn't get us into cup contention.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Just now, Alflives said:

True enough, but still following the owner's mantra to make "win now" moves while paying for those moves with futures.  Whether it's picks traded away or cap space conceded, it's still costing us our future.  Picks are clearly what we need to for a better tomorrow (higher and more) and cap space can be used to take on other team's bad expiring contracts while adding picks and prospects to do so.  Hopefully JR can rebuild the club how he sees fit without the owner getting in the way.  IMHAO the owner got in the way of a Miller for futures trade last TDL.  

Yeah I think we're all just hoping Aquilini isn't still pulling the strings, JR is the first President we've had in a long time...if he is then there's no hope and we're f%&&ed anyway haha

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Serious question, for all those saying JR and PA have done nothing to improve this team would we have the same record so far without:

Mikheyev

Kuzmenko

Lazar

Bear

Studnicka

Aman

And would this team be better or same if they had kept:

Lammikko

Chiasson

Dickinson

Richardson

Hamonic

Highmore

Those new additions are by and large younger too. And I believe they're buying into being Canucks.

Really, as far as blowing up? Realistically it depends on where we are in the standings come deadline. I'm not saying that if we're in a playoff situation that we won't trade for assets. But at the same time given that in that scenario or not, well.......I don't think it logical to make moves just to bolster the team for such. But I definitely could see a significant move or two come deadline or off season regardless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

I can literally copy and paste like 10 people who have literally said they've done nothing to improve the team lol it's everywhere. 

And what assets do the Canucks have to acquire a top 4 d man? If thy do that, that means they are trying to "win now" and then everyone looses their minds because they want a rebuild. What does acquiring a top 4 dman do for this team right now? That doesn't get us into cup contention.

I dont want a rebuild.

Think we have a great core that needs some tweaks. I could see us being contenders in the next 2-3 years 

I would hope to move a few of the wingers for the D help. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont want a rebuild.

Think we have a great core that needs some tweaks. I could see us being contenders in the next 2-3 years 

I would hope to move a few of the wingers for the D help. 

Yeah i feel you're likely in the minority right now because what I see is a lot of people asking to blow it up.....I'm not saying either side is right but that's the facts. I would agree completely they will need to address the back end for sure, it's just easier said then done. I think Bear has helped, and I'm interested to see a little more of Dermott as well, the sample size is small. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah i feel you're likely in the minority right now because what I see is a lot of people asking to blow it up.....I'm not saying either side is right but that's the facts. I would agree completely they will need to address the back end for sure, it's just easier said then done. I think Bear has helped, and I'm interested to see a little more of Dermott as well, the sample size is small. 

I like the idea of Dermott too.

I still remember kb3 being really high on him when we aquired him. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Oh, I hear the airport's closed due to snow.

Highways too.

Sorry.

I read earlier he’s way up north if you follow Buffalo air. Their in serious trouble  almost bankrupt cookin the books mechanic failure  near mis accidents   Ya he needs to stay put. :ph34r:

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

costing us our future

Alf, people talk like "the future" is set/guaranteed...it's not. 

All the moves/picks in the world may/may not pan out. Sure, I don't dispute that picks are very important for the future, but there's value in a team that can win today too.

Think of Petey and how losing threatens our future with him?

Because he may not want to stay if this team just totally crashes and burns (probably he won't) so it's a delicate balance and this team, right now, needs some stability and...as their very wise coach understands...to believe they CAN win. The future will unfold as it will but, right now, the focus is on getting these guys out of the doldrums (and increasing their value). We don't want Petey losing interest and that game last night showed a very giddy Petey post game. That matters for our future too.

People who can't see the forest for the trees. I get that moves will have to be made and I'm sure they will be. But it's not a matter of looking to the future while completely overlooking the present. I saw smiles last night that were important to the player's overall psyche and are better FOR the future, no matter what that holds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Pettersson is headed for his best ever season... no surprise there.

He is 24 and just rounding into form.

At this rate, and based on likely trailing off a bit as the season goes on, he should hit between 80-90 points.

I think it is very likely he will reach 100 points at some point in his career.

Management needs to sign Andrei Kuzmenko  RIGHT AWAY ... there are a lot of other GM's who will be bidding for him in the off season.

As far as I know he will be an UFA next year.

Have to wonder if he was taken off Pettersson's line to avoid him scoring too much and requiring a huge contract... and Boeser maybe added to Petey's line to increase his sale value? 

Off season...?

They'll be creaming themselves already now, with the small cap hit he has. 
If there's the slightest doubt Nucks can extend him, he has to be traded. He can definitely bring a great haul. 

Simply can not miss the boat and let him leave for nowt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Alf, people talk like "the future" is set/guaranteed...it's not. 

All the moves/picks in the world may/may not pan out. Sure, I don't dispute that picks are very important for the future, but there's value in a team that can win today too.

Think of Petey and how losing threatens our future with him? Because he may not want to stay so it's a delicate balance and this team, right now, needs some stability and...as their very wise coach understands...to believe they CAN win. 

People who can't see the forest for the trees. I get that moves will have to be made and I'm sure they will. But it's not a matter of looking to the future while overlooking the present.

True Deb.  Maybe we are close to where we were when Gillis took over.  And he was able to build a supporting group around the key core back then that led to our most successful teams ever.  Would be great if in two years we are a top team again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Off season...?

They'll be creaming themselves already now, with the small cap hit he has. 
If there's the slightest doubt Nucks can extend him, he has to be traded. He can definitely bring a great haul. 

Simply can not miss the boat and let him leave for nowt. 

And isn't Kuz Missile coming 27?

• Cheers 1