The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I know coaches hate changing lineups after a win and Stillman got 2 points, but I still want to see Burroughs back in next game.

Didn't Bruce already say publicly he sees Burroughs as a 7 D and that Burroughs knows that's his role? 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont want a rebuild.

Think we have a great core that needs some tweaks. I could see us being contenders in the next 2-3 years 

I would hope to move a few of the wingers for the D help. 

I wouldnt say great.  

I think we need tweaks.  

We dont have a crosby, macdavid, or mckinnon or a #1 dman so we need to win with quality depth. I agree about the tweaks.  This means bringing in a legit 3c and 1 or 2 top 3/4 dmen.  This also means developing hogz and podz and aman(as a 3c).  Podz esp has so much god given talent and drive that he can possibly develop into our best player one day- dont eff that up.  These 3 can be a big part of the core if we develop them right.  Dont bring in any bandaid pieces- bring in guys who you want to see here long-term.  

Lastly, clear cap starting with boeser asap 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Alf, people talk like "the future" is set/guaranteed...it's not. 

All the moves/picks in the world may/may not pan out. Sure, I don't dispute that picks are very important for the future, but there's value in a team that can win today too.

Think of Petey and how losing threatens our future with him?

Because he may not want to stay if this team just totally crashes and burns (probably he won't) so it's a delicate balance and this team, right now, needs some stability and...as their very wise coach understands...to believe they CAN win. The future will unfold as it will but, right now, the focus is on getting these guys out of the doldrums (and increasing their value). We don't want Petey losing interest and that game last night showed a very giddy Petey post game. That matters for our future too.

People who can't see the forest for the trees. I get that moves will have to be made and I'm sure they will be. But it's not a matter of looking to the future while completely overlooking the present. I saw smiles last night that were important to the player's overall psyche and are better FOR the future, no matter what that holds.

Incremental changes happen out of availability or someone wants out etc. I don’t get the grip ‘that’s a win now move’ or that’s sacrificing future  comments. There’s no more of a guarantee standing pat then there is taking a chance making a peripheral move. That said I expect one of boeser/garland (for an expiring contract) to shipped out soon since the impact , fallout  out weighs the necessity of  shoring up the back end or reupping horvat. Win now , move for the future they can call it what they want. The winds of change are stirin. 

5 hours ago, chon derry said:

Bears acquisition coincided with a need to replace Hughes getting injured it also coincided with bears desire/availability to come here. The need to shore up the backend was there all along. Whether it was a win now move is a moot point. They needed him regardless 

What you just posted, are the band aid approach that has been happening for years or since 2011, to continue propping up the WIN NOW strategy - due to the lack of attention on drafting & development.  At the end of the year: Bo, Kuz & Bear are all FA's - looking to get paid and with the teams current cap situation, it would be REALLY hard to keep all three.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wanted to check this against league averages, and league wide goals for and against haven't changed much.

Year NHL GF/game NHL GA/game Canucks GF/game Canucks GA/game
2021-22 3.1671875 3.16375 3 2.82
2022-23 3.106875 3.10625 3.5 3.85

DIFF 0.06 0.06 0.5

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

This isn’t his team it is Benning's team feat Mikheyev and Kuzmenko and a new 4th line. 

He hasn’t even put his stamp on the team yet. :picard:

He has signed over 25% of the cap space for next season, so some of this is on the new management, some is on the old.

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You’ve presented nothing but speculation. We don’t know the actual extent of Aquilini meddling or if it exists at all. There is zero proof given on your side other than your speculation. 

Why is other people speculate, but your speculations seem to be facts to you?

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

Once people realize it takes more than 3 really good players to win a cup they will feel very stupid for arguing the contrary. 

Crosby was the best player in the league

Malkin was arguably the second best

Letang in his prime was a Norris trophy level d man.

So more than just "really good' players.

I don't think I've seen anyone say 3 guys could win the Stanley Cup by themselves. Just too much ice time, and being permanently down 2 players on the ice would be too much to overcome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

He has signed over 25% of the cap space for next season, so some of this is on the new management, some is on the old.

I don't think I've seen anyone say 3 guys could win the Stanley Cup by themselves. Just too much ice time, and being permanently down 2 players on the ice would be too much to overcome.

I never said I’m the only one with facts? He only used speculation, period. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

They keep telling me that (aaron) Rome wasn’t built in a day, but I’m tired Od waiting :(

• Upvote 1

Kuzmenko gets healthy scratched against Boston on Nov. 13th. Had 11 points in 15 games or .733 PPG prior. Since then has 12 points in 10 games or 1.2 PPG. Effort and game overall in both ends of the ice vastly improved.

Boeser was to be healthy scratched against Arizona on Dec. 3rd. Had 14 points in 18 games or .778 PPG prior. Since then has 2 points in 2 games or 1.0 PPG. Effort and game overall in both ends of the ice vastly improved.

Maybe Bruce was right to do it and healthy scratches work?

Small sample size of course, but Brock looks revitalized and rejuvenated, like his old self. It’s not just points production either, his defensive effort is miles better. Haven’t seen him like this in a long time. He played the best game of this season by far against Montreal.

Hope he keeps it up, I’m rooting hard for him.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I never said I’m the only one with facts? He only used speculation, period. 

The issue is it is all speculation.

You have stated JR is not a puppet yet also have said anything regarding Aqua man's interference is just speculation. So if anything about Aqua's control is speculation, so is your take that JR is not a puppet

This would be a 'paradox'?

Edited by Gurn