The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

Just now, Warhippy said:

How do you feel about the Horvat deal and Raty?

He was a suggested potential 1st overall that ended up in the 2nd round.

Keith.  Weber.  Subban.  O'Reilly.  So many more great players in the 2nd round I'm just the last decade.  We've given up all but 3 of our own second round picks in the last decade.

We drafted hoglander and Demko with two of them.

Picks matter

I wanted them to draft raty in Klims spot and Raty was also the focus of a deal I wanted them to make with the Isles.  

He was drafted in the second round because he was the product of a very poor team, he should have been a top 15 in the first round.

Just now, stawns said:

I wanted them to draft raty in Klims spot and Raty was also the focus of a deal I wanted them to make with the Isles.  

He was drafted in the second round because he was the product of a very poor team, he should have been a top 15 in the first round.

Had they traded Bo for an actual second rounder, of course I'd be pissed, but Raty is a proven commodity, not a lottery ticket, which is exactly what I'm endorsing.

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

Had they traded Bo for an actual second rounder, of course I'd be pissed, but Raty is a proven commodity, not a lottery ticket, which is exactly what I'm endorsing.

He's....proven actually nothing thus far.  Until he's put up back to back seasons of consistent production he's proven pretty much nothing in the nhl

Just now, Warhippy said:

He's....proven actually nothing thus far.  Until he's put up back to back seasons of consistent production he's proven pretty much nothing in the nhl

well, he was a ppg player in Liiga last year, as a 19 year old and 15 pts in 27 games for Bridgeport as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL.  I'd say that says a thing or two, don't you?

• Haha 1

I don't know man, it seems we always have reasons not to trade the pieces that are working well. But never have the fore-sight to understand we are a basement team and it does not matter.

Wrap you heads around this..................if no one wants Boeser, Granland, OEL, Myers, or if the cost to get rid of them includes cap retention, prospects, or picks, then it is obvious that they will not be moved............yet we still suck............so who do we move? Well, you move those guys that you can, for assets you want............

Pretty friggin obvious! 

2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I think we will get a 2nd for schenn

So just a guess pick wise for 1st two rounds assuming we don't win 1st overall.

Pick 7- matevi michkov

Pick 13-32- axel sandinpellika or David Reinbacher

Pick 39-  samuel Honzek 

Pick 45-63- Danilo But

Would be a pretty good start to the rebuild 

A little too storyline perfect. I don't see Michkov outside the top 5 and I honestly think Honzek is gone mid 1st round. I see a lot of lists that have him late teens. Nobody has him listed outside the 1st round either. Honzek might be one of the mid-late 1st round steals of this draft. I love his size and skill.

Edited by N7Nucks

1 hour ago, stawns said:

well, he was a ppg player in Liiga last year, as a 19 year old and 15 pts in 27 games for Bridgeport as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL.  I'd say that says a thing or two, don't you?

Well.  We DID draft a defenceman that was .5 ppg in Finland in his D+1 year.  Traded for an NCAA defenceman that was .6ppg in the AHL in his D+1 year.  Drafted a WJHC stud who went 9 points in 11 games in his first AHL run.

Let's play where are they now?

Again, he's proven nothing.

Hey, I know.  Maybe if we trade another couple of picks for cast off players who couldn't cut it with their teams, we can trade Schenn for picks and then flip those picks for more cast off players who couldn't make it with their teams.

Genius!

Edited by Warhippy

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Schenn is only 33, he's got more than two years left

Depends what you consider selling high.  If all he gets is a second, I'd rather they keep him, let him enjoy his newborn and sign him and let him finish his career in Van.

Unless he wants to get another crack at a Cup that is.

I know he isn't that old, but I do think his game will drop off pretty quickly. And despite his obvious physical upside I just don't think it will be enough to offset his lack of speed. 

Would love to move him for a 2nd then try and resign him in the summer!

As much as I’d like another 2nd round pick, I think the decision should be Luke’s. He took a sweetheart deal to play here and has been all heart and soul for this club on the ice and in the room. He’s the type of vet this club needs more of. 

I hope he’d say trade me to a contender and I’ll see you July 1 to sign my new contract, but if he’s willing to extend and wants to stay here for family reasons, then I think he’s earned it.  

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

17 minutes ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

As much as I’d like another 2nd round pick, I think the decision should be Luke’s. He took a sweetheart deal to play here and has been all heart and soul for this club on the ice and in the room. He’s the type of vet this club needs more of. 

I hope he’d say trade me to a contender and I’ll see you July 1 to sign my new contract, but if he’s willing to extend and wants to stay here for family reasons, then I think he’s earned it.  

I think you let your interest in him be well known and give him the option of trading to a contender. Maybe somewhere he is comfortable but has no chance to re-sign with like TB. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I think you let your interest in him be well known and give him the option of trading to a contender. Maybe somewhere he is comfortable but has no chance to re-sign with like TB. 

Yep. I get management needs to make hard unpopular decisions, but showing some class and consideration to a fan and teammate favourite like Luke is valuable.  It’s an easy way to earn a little goodwill after all the negative press. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Yep. I get management needs to make hard unpopular decisions, but showing some class and consideration to a fan and teammate favourite like Luke is valuable.  It’s an easy way to earn a little goodwill after all the negative press. 

They could certainly use a whiff of goodwill.  Their reps have taken a big hit this year.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

That’s a good point. Baby on the way next month…

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Yes I guess he has some. 

Not saying he doesn't, I just haven't heard that before.  He's a gamble, no question.  The contract, playing W, the whole Russia thing, haven't seen him best on best for awhile wyc etc etc

Still, when we did see him best on best, the only person better was Bedard and it was close.

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not saying he doesn't, I just haven't heard that before.  He's a gamble, no question.  The contract, playing W, the whole Russia thing, haven't seen him best on best for awhile wyc etc etc

Still, when we did see him best on best, the only person better was Bedard and it was close.

I've never heard anything about 'attitude problems' either.  The only way the Canucks picks michkov is if

the Lotto does them a favour.  Best odds if they can drop to 5th overall by the end of the season.