The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Dec. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t know if it’s the Christmas spirit but I now believe not all is lost with this team.  That last game against the Oilers showed us that this team can actually play defence. Something we haven’t seen all season long. 

We are too good to get a top draft pick and we can’t “rebuild” anytime soon because of the hard Cap and how so many teams are too Cap’d out to take on our high priced players. That sort of move would have to wait till the TDL and off season.

Like the Blues of 2019, we have an abundance of good players who struggled to play well as a good team. The Blues were dead last on January 3rd. In the meantime, we sit at 500 hockey, 6 points behind a playoff spot and it is only December 25th (and a couple games in hand).

Let’s not give up hope on this team, there is lots of time and they may now have “got it”. 

Yup.  Our core five (Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Bo) is plenty good enough to win.  A few tweaks before this coming (2023) TDL and we will be hopping.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t know if it’s the Christmas spirit but I now believe not all is lost with this team.  That last game against the Oilers showed us that this team can actually play defence. Something we haven’t seen all season long. 

We are too good to get a top draft pick and we can’t “rebuild” anytime soon because of the hard Cap and how so many teams are too Cap’d out to take on our high priced players. That sort of move would have to wait till the TDL and off season.

Like the Blues of 2019, we have an abundance of good players who struggled to play well as a good team. The Blues were dead last on January 3rd. In the meantime, we sit at 500 hockey, 6 points behind a playoff spot and it is only December 25th (and a couple games in hand).

Let’s not give up hope on this team, there is lots of time and they may now have “got it”. 

No chance Merry Christmas GIF by filmeditor

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

IS to just me or does Quinn seem like a hyper serious person?  Is his life all about bring the best at hockey?  IMHAO we are lucky to have him, and his focus.  But even Miller, who is hyper compete, seems to be able to enjoy things outside of hockey.  Maybe Quinn needs to get married and have some little huggy bears?  

He may just hate being photographed. I do

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

They are dangerous and unpredictable, the opposite of what you'd think a contender is but we've all seen perfectly built contenders crash out.

They do have a rhythm to them, which i honestly haven't felt since the wce days. You can hear it in Shorty's voice strangely enough, when they turn on the switch, shorty starts to sound like a horse race caller calling a winner coming home strong. When they are struggling, shorty's tone is different (hence why i hate no shorty games). The thing which i like is that the miller/horvat line and pettersson/kuz when humming are equally dangerous. Miller-bo-garland have 42 goals, kuz-petey-mik have 40 goals. That's two dangerous lines and if the team can find better goaltending,defence and checking to drop their gaa to just under 3 then i think they have a shot.

I still have no idea if they can generate win streaks, at home especially, but its a fun ride. If they bring that rhythm to their games then they can make the playoffs but they have to stop it with the flat games. I'm hoping they do even though i do see the benefit of them moving players, missing the playoffs and being in position #10 and then we all do our version of a ritual sacrifice to get bedard.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
bure
  • Cheers 3

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have the key core pieces @-DLC-.  We just need to build the supporting group.  A couple support D.  A couple support forwards.  (1 maybe?) and we are looking like a darned good team.  How many teams have a great goalie, a great D, a great 1 C (who plays all 200 feet) a great 1st line Wing 2C (as needed) and a great centre who scores like Bo?  We are so close.  Just need a couple support pieces.  A partner for ?Hughes and another forward who is a checker.  Get 

Demko healthy and we are WINNERS! 

Exactly….like kicking a record player from last May. Unfortunately, as said by the great Yannick Hanson, “they did nothing”

18 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Don’t think this team has a realistic shot until Demko returns. Martin has been worse than Halak.

30 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Don’t think this team has a realistic shot until Demko returns. Martin has been worse than Halak.

Delia looked fantastic. Martin finally has competition so might improve his play too? Also, Demko was given a 6 week recovery. It will be 4 weeks end of this month. He should and hopefully will be back in a couple weeks. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Perhaps it's the post Xmas hangover, but I don't see enough physicality or identity, especially at home, for the Nucks to do what the Blues did. It's time for a high draft pick and reset. Goaltending and defense is on team tank this season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Perhaps it's the post Xmas hangover, but I don't see enough physicality or identity, especially at home, for the Nucks to do what the Blues did. It's time for a high draft pick and reset. Goaltending and defense is on team tank this season.

We also have no clue how Demko is going to recover. Will this reset be enough for him to come out and play better? Will it take time for him to get in the swing of things? Will he be pressured back to soon? Lots of question marks and no coaching change, and no defence. I don't see a similarity to that Blues team here.

Martin for SJS, Delia for Winnipeg on the road? Bruce has to ride whoever is winning the same way he did Martin vs Demko and now Spencer is burnt out and playing dreadfully. That goal from the neutral zone is a killer. 

Our season rests on whether or not one of our many goalies can keep a GAA under 3.

7 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Sorry for a random question but, will we ever see the team in other alternate jerseys at all this season, stick in rink and classic skate?? 

Seems unlikely according to some articles

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/platform/amp/2022/10/20/23414906/goodbye-orca-canucks-release-new-reverse-retro-third-jersey

8D940A4F-B0F4-4C9A-ADA4-AF1740403C08.thumb.jpeg.c46f68b00c50e681c3e9f4cc4fed4b17.jpeg

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-ditching-stick-in-rink-heritage-jersey

• Sad 2
  • RoughGame 1