The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think the expectation at 8mil is couple of seasons in the 80-85 points range. i honestly didn't expect him to hit 90 again tbh. but at the current moment i don't think teams are looking at miller going wow that's a good deal at 8mil.. miller had a good nov production wise.. he's been almost invisible in december prior to the 3 points against seatlle and edmonton he had 3 points the entire december.. and he struggled in october.. teams are probably looking at miller wondering if he's already declining and how fast he'll decline.. at this point i'm willing to give miller away for a pick and even retain 1mil on his future contract if it means we can keep horvat and kuzmenko.. being probably at least 3-4 years away if the team decides they refuse to rebuild.. it's more realistic we'd be more competitive with horvat at 31/32 vs miller at 33/34

That depends on the return you get with a trade.  Need to look at the overall value.  If we are trading Miller for a pick and that pick is a nobody then all we have left is Horvat.  If we trade Horvat and the player we get back turns into Tage Thompson, plus we have Miller as well, then the 2nd option of trading Horvat would be better long term value.

We won't know if we will be better off for at least 3-4 years, as that is how long a guy like Tage Thompson took to break out...

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Cheech made an interesting observation about Bo's shot after his second goal. He credits the work he's been putting in with Adam Oates. I noticed his shot was different earlier this year, it's quicker, harder, I thought he changed sticks, but it's that coaching. It's what makes him perfect for the bumper on the PP. Oates is something of a genius. Bo's also always positioned perfectly to pick up the loose change, probably Oates' influence as well.

100% that shout could see the bedard like release / kick point with his stick and work with Oates 

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Nice to see the Canucks get over 500 after their best 3-game stretch of the season. My key takeaways from tonight against the Sharks are as follows.

1. Sorry to start with a cliche but the team with the better goalie usually wins and that was true tonight.  The Canucks were also the better team overall but it was a lot closer than the score indicated.  Earlier in the season a couple of the those big saves by Martin were going in instead and Reimer did not have a great night for San Jose.  In terms of expected goals (Natural Stat Trick) the Canucks had a slight edge, but it was close.

2. Although the Horvat line had a huge night in terms of scoring, the Pettersson line actually had better underlying numbers (expected goals).  Of course,  the Horvat line was hard matched against the Hertl line so they faced tougher competition. And they won that battle by a big margin.  Great to see Boeser have a good night.  That  line -- Horvat, Mikheyev and Boeser looks great.

3. The Pettersson line had great numbers with an expected goals for percentage of 75%. There is kind of a Pederson bandwagon developing, but I am not sold yet.  Petey is playing great and Kuz is also playing well. I think almost any forward would look good in Pederson's  spot.  But, as he was  a throw-in in what was already a great deal to get Bear for a 5th round pick (with retained salary as well!) he is found money. But jury still out on whether Pederson is good enough to allow Petey to play to his full potential on a long-run basis.

4. Miller's line was buried in the numbers, although they were hard-matched against the Couture line.  But the team needs more from Miller and Garland on a consistent basis. And I want Lazar to do well but he has a hard time generating offence.

5. I have been critical of Tyler Myers but he played well tonight. He and OEL were hard-matched against Couture and Meier  (San Jose's best line) and Myers in particular did well.

6. Karlsson was only on the ice for about 27.5 minutes.  It seemed like more. 

I agree about Pederson and Lazar.  Pederson won't be able to sustain playing with Petey and quite frankly Petey deserves better than an AHL player on his wing.  Lazar also isn't a 3rd line player and should be back on the 4th line.  Pearson would be an upgrade over him and might play well on Miller's wing.  Mikheyev probably needs to go back on Petey's wing, which leaves a hole on the Horvat line.  Podkolzin would be the guy who needs to step up and step into that role, but that isn't going to happen this year.

These lines are working right now but as we get to the TDL I assume there will be moves so we will see how long these lines last...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Nice to see the Canucks get over 500 after their best 3-game stretch of the season. My key takeaways from tonight against the Sharks are as follows.

1. Sorry to start with a cliche but the team with the better goalie usually wins and that was true tonight.  The Canucks were also the better team overall but it was a lot closer than the score indicated.  Earlier in the season a couple of the those big saves by Martin were going in instead and Reimer did not have a great night for San Jose.  In terms of expected goals (Natural Stat Trick) the Canucks had a slight edge, but it was close.

2. Although the Horvat line had a huge night in terms of scoring, the Pettersson line actually had better underlying numbers (expected goals).  Of course,  the Horvat line was hard matched against the Hertl line so they faced tougher competition. And they won that battle by a big margin.  Great to see Boeser have a good night.  That  line -- Horvat, Mikheyev and Boeser looks great.

3. The Pettersson line had great numbers with an expected goals for percentage of 75%. There is kind of a Pederson bandwagon developing, but I am not sold yet.  Petey is playing great and Kuz is also playing well. I think almost any forward would look good in Pederson's  spot.  But, as he was  a throw-in in what was already a great deal to get Bear for a 5th round pick (with retained salary as well!) he is found money. But jury still out on whether Pederson is good enough to allow Petey to play to his full potential on a long-run basis.

4. Miller's line was buried in the numbers, although they were hard-matched against the Couture line.  But the team needs more from Miller and Garland on a consistent basis. And I want Lazar to do well but he has a hard time generating offence.

5. I have been critical of Tyler Myers but he played well tonight. He and OEL were hard-matched against Couture and Meier  (San Jose's best line) and Myers in particular did well.

6. Karlsson was only on the ice for about 27.5 minutes.  It seemed like more. 

Well boeser didn’t look great in Lanes spot.

to be honest it’s only a few games but I’ve been extremely impressed by Lane so far. Whether it a flash in the pan, pure adrenaline or a Jeff The brabarian like high level surge of play by an ahl tweeter / bottom line grinder or something sustainable we will see with time.

but I notice him positively every game and he produces. 

he also brings: size, and defensive awareness as he’s a natural C to the line while allowing Mikehyev to play with Horvat or Miller which is very advantageous to have him helping one of those two out.

lane has a strong net front presence 5 on 5 and has shown he has the IQ and skill to be a solid passenger on this line for now at least. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

It would be true if Miller didn't resign a contract yet but now Miller is like

Make It Rain Money GIF

Haha, this is true.  Miller already has his $56 million guaranteed, I am sure he's not too worried about it.  Meanwhile, BO is fighting tooth and nail for his retirement contract, so every goal that goes in he is doing what DiCaprio is doing in that pic...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Prediction: we will pivot again for a playoff run. Horvat wont be traded. Basically repeats of the past 8 years. Hopefully this time the result will be different. 

Unless this management really shocks me with some boldness. 

I am very interested to see what happens when we are close to a playoff spot and the trade deadline is only a few days away.  What will happen with BO, Schenn and Kuzmenko?  Will JR get the green light to trade one or all of them, or will Aquilini veto any trade and we shoot for the playoffs like last year and just miss it?  

JR is alot of talk about how he not going to let assets walk away for nothing.  I wanna see if that talk turns into action.  JR will be on the hot seat in a couple of months, that is for sure.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Devron said:

Yup. No problem with Millers contract. Would just just be a sad day to see Bo go instead 

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are several options to attain the cap needed for him and Kuzmenko. This whole thing reminds me of the JT negotiations,  just like JT they will not get anywhere near the return worth it too trade BO, he's a rental who would fetch more as a UFA even without 8 years.

I really despise our management and hate the way they conduct themselves, and if we lose Horvat for a 1st and  a prospect it will be a worse move than anything Benning ever did.

Move Garland, Pearson, Myers, etc, this reeks of ego. There are teams ahead of us with far bigger contracts and with the cap going up there is no reason we can have Horvat at 8-8.5 on a max term. The sens have 5 of them.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

... There are several options to attain the cap needed for him and Kuzmenko. 

Move Garland, Pearson, Myers, etc, this reeks of ego. There are teams ahead of us with far bigger contracts and with the cap going up there is no reason we can have Horvat at 8-8.5 on a max term. The sens have 5 of them.

Keep Dermott and Poolman on ltir. 

Jake and Holtby 2M comes off the books next season. Give their 2M to Bo, plus whatever. Garland and Pearson cap could cover a good ufa defenseman. Keep all our low cost guys and hopefully negotiate with Kuz. 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

lane has a strong net front presence 5 on 5 and has shown he has the IQ and skill to be a solid passenger on this line for now at least. 

Pederson is also lights out from the Ovechkin spot on the Abbotsford #1 power play, but he's not likely to see any time there in Vancouver.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, J-23 said:

He had 30 goals last season, he’s on pace for 66 this year. He is a whole new player this szn.

Horvats torrid pace actually started his last 30ish games last year.   Was on pace for close to 50 then pro-rated over 82 games ... guess we find out soon enough.      

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1