The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday December 31 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames - 7:00pm PT/9:00pm CT/10:00 PM ET - Saddledome

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

11 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Actually it is.

Green was playing Edler as a #1 D.... which he clearly wasn't.

Too much of a load... too much ice time.

LA took him and initially put him on the 3rd pairing... then moved him up to the 2nd pairing... and then the 1st pairing when Doughty got injured.

This year it is the third pairing.

Right now I'd take Edler at $750,000 per year on the 5/6 rather than any of the current Canucks who are playing that position.

Fair points. Eddie also played himself out of position many, many times and bad decision making (versus foot speed/positioning) at times was becoming a little unreliable. What you mention about Green is true, but also serves as an example of how limited our reliable D depth was, and how entrenched Edler was as almost a de facto top 4. 
As much as I was rooting for resigning him (if at a fair value deal), Edler required going to a new club with stronger competitive talent where he would have to re-establish himself in pecking order for TOI, and imho the move to LA brought out a renewed hunger in the Eagle. 

It’d be really interesting to me to see what the current Canucks roster would look like in an alternate universe. Maybe one wherein Linden was given the ok to rebuild. 

Edited by RWJC