The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I think they're pretty disciplined about sticking to their plans, but I'd say they've dipped out of the top 5 contenders in the east at this point.  They have to be looking for something big to move that needle

I agree. There are 6 legit contenders in the East and 5 of them have pushed all in for this year. At least 4 of them will not win the cup having spent their future draft capital. I expect CAR to avoid the arms race and stay competitive for years to come.

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Can we for example:

Trade for Zucker in a Miller trade... Then turn around in a second trade again with the pens... Retain 50% and send Zucker back to Pittsburgh? 

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It seems like there would probably be some sort of rule against that type of thing.

Pretty sure they can’t do that.  NHL has already said they’re looking at teams trying to circumvent the salary cap (wrt to LTIR).  This type of deal screams cap circumvention.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It seems like there would probably be some sort of rule against that type of thing.

Probably or else there wouldn't be the need for a third party broker. 

Sucks because I'd take Zucker and dumilioun ( idk how to spell it ) for Miller so the money works. They need Zucker though so retaining half his contract and flipping him back to the pens. End up gaining pickering and a bunch of cap for next year. Big win imo

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Pretty sure they can’t do that.  NHL has already said they’re looking at teams trying to circumvent the salary cap (wrt to LTIR).  This type of deal screams cap circumvention.

Yeah I figured due to the need for third party broker these days but I figured I'd throw out the question anyways

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Miller for Zucker, Poulin, Pickering if it’s Pitts

but my worry is, the Pens will make us eat like $2M+ per year..... then it won't be worth it.... unless we are getting 2 real good young players back... are Poulin and Pickering real good?

34 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What if we retain Millers contract by $1M for 7 years? That way we could gain some valuable assets like Pickering and maybe couple of picks. 

It’s only $1M and cap should go up. Otherwise zero chance we just off load Miller for essentially cap + future considerations

Absolutely not. I wouldn't want to lock up one of our retention slots for the foreseeable future for a slightly better return.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

but my worry is, the Pens will make us eat like $2M+ per year..... then it won't be worth it.... unless we are getting 2 real good young players back... are Poulin and Pickering real good?

I would hope to not retain.  Pens offset cap with Zucker mostly and have Petry, Dumoulin, Carter and other options to make it work long term not including a rising cap.  I would hope we don't have to retain.

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would hope to not retain.  Pens offset cap with Zucker mostly and have Petry, Dumoulin, Carter and other options to make it work long term not including a rising cap.  I would hope we don't have to retain.

Ya.... I don't quite get the logic.. it was Ruthie that signed JT to a massive deal and gave up on Bo.... and now he will most likely have to sacrifice some cap$ by salary retention to offload him.... such a mess.... I don't see any potential FA's we can pick up in summer that's remotely close to JT's calibre though... so we just have to brace for another 2-3 years to see some playoff hockey!

26 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Can we for example:

Trade for Zucker in a Miller trade... Then turn around in a second trade again with the pens... Retain 50% and send Zucker back to Pittsburgh? 

You have to wait a full calendar year to trade a player back to the same team  if you’ve retained. 

11 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Pickering was on the list of guys I wanted to draft if we could get another first at the draft or via trading down I had him good enough to take around 15th but not quite around top 10. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Ya.... I don't quite get the logic.. it was Ruthie that signed JT to a massive deal and gave up on Bo.... and now he will most likely have to sacrifice some cap$ by salary retention to offload him.... such a mess.... I don't see any potential FA's we can pick up in summer that's remotely close to JT's calibre though... so we just have to brace for another 2-3 years to see some playoff hockey!

I think his primary intention was to trade him, but he didn't like the package at the time.  No way you risk losing a player like Miller for free so they signed him.  Now that we have a window to recoup value, I think they go for it especially with how hot the market is this year.  Package could be better than last year even with the extension.

We don't need to replace Miller directly as he's not a game changer.  We need depth of young players who play the right way and with speed and players within the org will emerge to fill the gap with that new opportunity (+ other gaps as we likely get 3 assets back).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think his primary intention was to trade him, but he didn't like the package at the time.  No way you risk losing a player like Miller for free so they signed him.  Now that we have a window to recoup value, I think they go for it especially with how hot the market is this year.  Package could be better than last year even with the extension.

We don't need to replace Miller directly as he's not a game changer.  We need depth of young players who play the right way and with speed and players within the org will emerge to fill the gap with that new opportunity (+ other gaps as we likely get 3 assets back).

True.... but it'd really suck balls to just have Petey as our top centre and the rest are just meh...... aka Dries/Raty/Aman/Studnicka

I smell a long long road ahead to a full rebuild... but I don't mind as long as there are some solid prospects that are close for prime time!!

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Just out of curiosity -

Let's say the Pens trade us Zucker; we retain 50% and send him to (say) the desert dogs or the blackcocks for future considerations (aka - "futcon") or a token 7th rounder, and they send him back to the PP for like "futcon" or a token 7th rounder.  What's to stop that from happening within the year?  :bigblush:

There’s a rule prohibiting the original team from reaquiring a player that was traded with retention toon for a calendar year.  The moves in between don’t matter.  If Pittsburgh trades him they can’t re-aquire him for a full year if there has been retention on his salary. 

• Thanks 1