The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

13 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Agree we have some of the pieces internally to make a great checking line. 

Tryamkin is intriguing, as is Livingstone. I believe McDonough is a LW.I like Bahl and Muk as targets. Also Peeke, Ceulemans, Korczak.

Yes, hopefully D-Petey and Johansson are in Abby next year 

How are we getting all, or any, of those guys?

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think he'll want to see there's some kind of logical plan and progression to winning

Exactly, these guys aren't dumb. He's not going to get fooled by more of the same middle of the pack best outcome is a wildcard chase stuff. He is going to want to see a clear and genuine plan that will lead to extended playoff runs. I don't think he's enamored by Miller like some posters here. In fact he seems annoyed by him if anything. :P

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

How?  And how does that set up.a succession scenario?

1. Target 2-3 lower profile shutdown D that are close to NHL ready on a deep team.  Ideally get one for a retained Boeser or another winger (eg. Kaedan Korczak, Kevin Bahl). Jake Livingstone is a no-brainer. Andrew Peeke has shown up on trade deadline lists - he’d be worth trading futures for. If not him, maybe Ceulemans who’s farther out.

2. Build a checking line that takes pride in shutting down top forwards. As @SilentSam suggested, we may have the talent internally with Aman, Joshua, Raty , Podz - I wouldn’t mind deploying Mikheyev on this line either, given our glut of wingers. Watching him catch McDavid in that clip was pretty inspiring.

3. For Center succession, leave JTM at 2C until Raty or our 2023rd 1st are ready to take over (likely 2 years) then move him to LW. He should be very useful for the 4 years of his NTC.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I see the chat around Gavrikov,.  But I’m trying to see what Columbuses needs are..

We really need to open up some exit doors on D.

Yes, moving Myers next year is the most realistic IMHO to create space for a shutdown RHD.

Columbus looks light on top 6 wingers with Nyqvist and Voracek aging out. They have several injuries, but Pederson is in their top 6, so Hoglander or Garland maybe of interest…

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

How are we getting all, or any, of those guys?

Boeser retained meets a need for Vegas and Jersey, opening the possibility for Korczak or Bahl. Livingstone will be a FA looking for a team with the fastest path to the NHL.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

If Petey’s going to re-sign, I think he’ll want to see a legit 2C backing him up. Just my $.02.

I'll give the team some credit, they've done a good job of bringing underdeveloped/ underutilized players (e.g. Beauvillier/ Miller/ Bear) and putting them in positions to succeed.  I could see that happening if they brought in a guy with the requisite potential.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

he’d be worth trading futures for. 

I like Peeke and all but a big hells no on the "moving out futures" plan.

We're not there yet as an organization unless it's a guy like Miller you can buy for pennies on the dollar and sell for retail (which we should have done/should do). We're still building contrary to some folks opinions. We're way off moving futures for "cherries on top". Too much sundae to build still.

Columbus wouldn't want to endanger their tank, Hoglander could work as part of a package due to them being able to just play him in the AHL. I could see them having interest in him as a player who'd be on their NHL roster next season. 

I don't see them looking for pieces that might make them too much more competitive this season though, it's in their best interest to finish bottom 3. 

19 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

1. Target 2-3 lower profile shutdown D that are close to NHL ready on a deep team.  Ideally get one for a retained Boeser or another winger (eg. Kaedan Korczak, Kevin Bahl). Jake Livingstone is a no-brainer. Andrew Peeke has shown up on trade deadline lists - he’d be worth trading futures for. If not him, maybe Ceulemans who’s farther out.

2. Build a checking line that takes pride in shutting down top forwards. As @SilentSam suggested, we may have the talent internally with Aman, Joshua, Raty , Podz - I wouldn’t mind deploying Mikheyev on this line either, given our glut of wingers. Watching him catch McDavid in that clip was pretty inspiring.

3. For Center succession, leave JTM at 2C until Raty or our 2023rd 1st are ready to take over (likely 2 years) then move him to LW. He should be very useful for the 4 years of his NTC.

So pretty much status quo with a tweak or two?  How's that worked for this org so far?

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

18 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Boeser retained meets a need for Vegas and Jersey, opening the possibility for Korczak or Bahl. Livingstone will be a FA looking for a team with the fastest path to the NHL.

Wouldn't that be done by now if it was a thing?

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Columbus wouldn't want to endanger their tank, Hoglander could work as part of a package due to them being able to just play him in the AHL. I could see them having interest in him as a player who'd be on their NHL roster next season. 

I don't see them looking for pieces that might make them too much more competitive this season though, it's in their best interest to finish bottom 3. 

Columbus would have to be a post season trade for Miller, agreed. Though that obviously comes with risks. One would hope a CAR, PIT, WAS etc would just pony up at the TDL.

Hell, a team like CAR that's allergic to vets with term, could try to work something out ahead of time with CBJ to trade for Miller at the TDL, use him for playoffs and potentially move him there after the season, at the draft.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Columbus would have to be a post season trade for Miller, agreed. Though that obviously comes with risks. One would hope a CAR, PIT, WAS etc would just pony up at the TDL.

Hell, a team like CAR that's allergic to vets with term, could try to work something out ahead of time with CBJ to trade for Miller at the TDL, use him for playoffs and potentially move him there after the season, at the draft.

Pittsburgh and Carolina are definitely teams that could fit Miller in without much of a headache, they're both teams that will likely be looking to add as well. Pens will probably be looking at a more lengthy rebuild post-Crosby, Malkin, and Letang anyway. Carolina could get multiple runs out of a Miller, they're pretty close imo but need more scoring punch. I see them as better fits than Washington but you never know. 

Columbus would work if it was something around Miller and Voracek but I'm not sure they have the appetite for that kind of move at this stage. 

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I like Peeke and all but a big hells no on the "moving out futures" plan.

We're not there yet as an organization unless it's a guy like Miller you can buy for pennies on the dollar and sell for retail (which we should have done/should do). We're still building contrary to some folks opinions. We're way off moving futures for "cherries on top". Too much sundae to build still.

Would you do Hoglander & a 2nd?

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think we could get great checking coverage out of the 4th line we had the other night..

Joshua, Aman , DiGussepie..

but DiGussepie might just work himself up the lines .

Heres my wish list for D add ons / no real cost:

Tryamkin, Livingstone, McDonaugh.

D Petey, I hope we see in Abby next season.

perhaps a move like Boeser 20% retained to NJD brings another good prospect like Bahl or Mukhamadullin.

To free up 4 mil in cap should be the incentive behind moving Boeser now. 

McDonough, our (unsigned) prospect? He's a winger or do we have another McDonaugh in our system? Or are you suggesting we acquire Ryan McDonagh from Nashville?

Aman is not adequate as a 4th line center. 4th line center has expectation to kill penalties as well. Aman is just not fast enough to get to pucks quick and he's not physical at all. He could improve on his forechecking game but he lacks tenacity at the moment to be a good option for 4th line center role.

Joshua is in a similar boat as Aman. Definitely has the skill for bottom 6 forward but lacks tenacity and speed. OK forechecking game but he also doesn't kill penalties.

Di Giuseppe is the only viable option on the checking line moving forward.

This team has a lot of holes and not a lot of prospects ready to fill the holes nor does it have the cap space to sign free agents to fill those holes. Unless the management gets creative and makes big decisions, next season will more or less be the same $hit... well unless we hit the jackpot at the draft.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Pittsburgh and Carolina are definitely teams that could fit Miller in without much of a headache, they're both teams that will likely be looking to add as well. Pens will probably be looking at a more lengthy rebuild post-Crosby, Malkin, and Letang anyway. Carolina could get multiple runs out of a Miller, they're pretty close imo but need more scoring punch. I see them as better fits than Washington but you never know. 

Columbus would work if it was something around Miller and Voracek but I'm not sure they have the appetite for that kind of move at this stage. 

Nashville just lost which likely has them pivot to sellers vs standing pat.  Wonder if Carolina won't try and get Niederreiter back.  They didn't want to give him term but now he's on a 2-year deal.  

Columbus are rebuilding.  Playoffs wasn't even the target for this season per their President Davidson.  If he's too old for Vancouver than he fits Columbus' even less.  They are trying to develop Sillinger, Johnsson as their next Cs.  Could see them go for a stop gap vet but 7 years feels far too long.  

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

So pretty much status quo with a tweak or two?  How's that worked for this org so far?

Guess you missed the part where we add 2-3 shut down D, and build a dedicated checking line. 

We started the year with 3 scoring lines, and no quality shutdown D.

• Cheers 1