The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Interesting. The only team I can think of now is the Canes though.

Penguins would be an easy fit too. 

I proposed this back in December.

To Pittsburgh 

JT Miller with 50% retained on the last year of his current contract, he'd come in at a 2.65M for the Penguins. 

To Vancouver

2023 or 2024 1st round pick

Brock McGinn who carries a 2.75M cap hit this season and for the next two seasons (hell, Pittsburgh could retain 100k to make it a perfect fit if it came down to it) 

5.25M in open cap space at the end of the season thanks to Miller's contract being off the books 

Pittsburgh likely wants to squeeze as much as they can out of this Crosby, Malkin, and Letang trio and Miller could give them some more scoring punch up front. Miller's 8M extension is easily taken care of due to McGinn's being shipped out and Zucker's 5.5M cap hit coming off the books at the end of the season, this pays Miller with 250k to spare. 

Vancouver gets cap flex, a 1st round pick to either use or flip to try and address their D, and a serviceable bottom six forward who comes off the books sooner than later if they wish to reallocate his 2.75M elsewhere. 

Might be easier to just trade for Zucker but he's got a 10 team NTC and I just don't see him wanting to come here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Let’s just keep JT. At worst he is a 60-70 point guy. Whatever. The problem we have are the OELs Boesers, and Myers, not JT.

You don't getting building pieces for "problems". People need to stop pretending this roster is a small tweak or two from contending.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why move Myers now?  Why not wait until next tdl and actually get something for him?  It's not like they're competing for a Cup next season 

Opportunity cost. If we can move most of his cap now/this summer, it's opens up more options to weaponize that cap space, acquire other solid players etc that are worth as much or more than the "extra" he might be worth next TDL.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who in the west has the cap space?

Vegas and Colorado

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

To Pittsburgh 

JT Miller with 50% retained on the last year of his current contract, he'd come in at a 2.65M for the Penguins. 

To Vancouver

Brock McGinn who carries a 2.75M cap hit this season and for the next two seasons (hell, Pittsburgh could retain 100k to make it a perfect fit if it came down to it) 

5.25M in open cap space at the end of the season thanks to Miller's contract being off the books 

Pittsburgh likely wants to squeeze as much as they can out of this Crosby, Malkin, and Letang trio and Miller could give them some more scoring punch up front. Miller's 8M extension is easily taken care of due to McGinn's being shipped out and Zucker's 5.5M cap hit coming off the books at the end of the season, this pays Miller with 250k to spare. 

Vancouver gets cap flex, a 1st round pick to either use or flip to try and address their D, and a serviceable bottom six forward who comes off the books sooner than later if they wish to reallocate his 2.75M elsewhere. 

Might be easier to just trade for Zucker but he's got a 10 team NTC and I just don't see him wanting to come here. 

So miller for a 1st?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

If he were a rental, maybe.  Minny?  If you took Greenway and Dumba, could you pry a 1st and Wallstedt out of there too?

Vegas has never worried about the cap. A team will help them by taking Lehner and another cap dump to fit in Miller.

Colorado has cap coming off the books and desperately needs a 2nd line center. Newhook+ makes sense for both sides.

• elephant 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

You don't getting building pieces for "problems". People need to stop pretending this roster is a small tweak or two from contending.

Opportunity cost. If we can move most of his cap now/this summer, it's opens up more options to weaponize that cap space, acquire other solid players etc that are worth as much or more than the "extra" he might be worth next TDL.

Vegas and Colorado

Both teams don't actually have any cap space at all, just ltir.......the Canucks would be bringing back significant salary there don't you think?  

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

So miller for a 1st?

And McGinn. That was my proposal then, I'm open to revisiting it.. 

But no, I was considering the cap space an asset in itself. 

Had a fair bit of back and forth regarding the proposal and Pittsburgh's cap outlook. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Vegas has never worried about the cap. A team will help them by taking Lehner and another cap dump to fit in Miller.

Colorado has cap coming off the books and desperately needs a 2nd line center. Newhook+ makes sense for both sides.

I'd rather have Kotkaniemi than Newhook

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

That was my proposal then, I'm open to revisiting it.. 

But no, I was considering the cap space an asset in itself

Had a fair bit of back and forth regarding the proposal and Pittsburgh's cap outlook. 

I don't disagree, but they need assets as well, imo.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Both teams don't actually have any cap space at all, just ltir.......the Canucks would be bringing back significant salary there don't you think?  

Some, sure. But as DeNiro mentioned, they'll have ways of dumping other salary.

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

To Pittsburgh 

To Vancouver

As long as it’s for a 1st++ I don’t care. Unless it’s Vegas then has to be an overpay, divisional matchup.

I don’t see Miller as a cap dump like some others do so I expect a good return back.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

As long as it’s for a 1st++ I don’t care. Unless it’s Vegas then has to be an overpay, divisional matchup.

I don’t see Miller as a cap dump like some others do so I expect a good return back.

If Pittsburgh really wants to go for it I could see them being open to more, management has done well with trades of late.