The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This is the same Seravelli that has linked Horvat to no less than 9 teams as a for sure thing since December.

He is covering all teams to ensure at the end of the day (TDL) he can say he was right about where player X ends up. They are social media paid people to discuss hockey yet on a daily basis they seem to get slammed on here for it...If people stopped making new threads and posting what they said, they would likely be out of a job or not seen as such main stream must hear from people...

2 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Tortorella likes JT, from their time in New York, makes for a good fit, so Miller for Provorov straight up?

add in Hayes who Torts doesn't like and we can send them Garland or Myers?

Hayes could be our #2C behind EP allowing us to cash in on a mega haul return for Horvat in a perfect world!

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I would love to move on from JT.

I was of the mind last summer that you had to re-sign him. I regret that notion. I dont know though if Jim and Patrick are willing to take an L on this. Trading Miller would admit publically (although its already consensus is already around the NHL world that they made the wrong choice) they made the wrong move and have to lose value on him.

As much as I want JT gone, I don't think this management are willing to admit they were wrong. Seems like too many egos in the head office and ownership to right the wrong. I would think too with JT's sizeable extension, that adding assets would not be in the organization's appetite to do so to move him. 

It would be admitting a wrong by the GM, but if you can do it and trade JT before his new deal and trade protection kicks in that would be a smart move by the GM to realize the mistake and move on right away if possible of course

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Are the Canucks not considered a lesser team? Otherwise we are talking a select few teams where Bo is a #1, how much can you pay a guy that is a #2 on a meh team like Vancouver...When #1 EP is going to sign for 9-12m

Sure we are, we just also have Pettersson 

They've both played like #1's thus far but there's no question as to who the future is 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure we are, we just also have Pettersson 

They've both played like #1's thus far but there's no question as to who the future is 

Horvat is scoring goals, from a #1C I would want a player who can help his linemates and have a half decent assist total...something Horvat does NOT have. Horvat is  a #2C imo, he may be elite #2C like Kesler was for us for a few years but don't think his contract season scoring outburst is enough to show he is a legite #1C.

Remember people Horvat has 1 60pt season in his career AND now you have his contract year...Rather see another team overpay him, he are far away from the Cup so no need to overpay Bo to keep him here and stay the course being a subpar team while doing so.

Just my personal opinion though

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Neutral said:

Horvat is scoring goals, from a #1C I would want a player who can help his linemates and have a half decent assist total...something Horvat does NOT have. Horvat is  a #2C imo, he may be elite #2C like Kesler was for us for a few years but don't think his contract season scoring outburst is enough to show he is a legite #1C.

Remember people Horvat has 1 60pt season in his career AND now you have his contract year...Rather see another team overpay him, he are far away from the Cup so no need to overpay Bo to keep him here and stay the course being a subpar team while doing so.

Just my personal opinion though

I mean, as of today he's up to 29 goals and 16 assists through 40 games? Almost an assist every second game thus far 

Horvat being a goal scoring center doesn't mean he doesn't possess the ability to pass imo 

It'll vary from team to team too, LA's top center in Kopitar has 11 goals and 22 assists through 44 games for example

Bergeron has 15 goals and 18 assists through 40 games

Point has 22 goals and 17 assists through 38 games

Suzuki has 15 goals and 19 assists through 41 games 

Bo's a goal scoring center, it's what he's good at, which is why he's been on pace for 25 goals or more dating back to the 17-18 season 

199 goals and 212 assists in 612 thus far doesn't lead me to believe he can't pass 

Horvat's also historically been saddled with subpar wingers for most of his Canucks tenure, he never had an opportunity to come in and be 1C because Pettersson jumped into that role after the twins retired, this doesn't mean he couldn't do it 

Throw him in another team's top six and play him in a top line role and I believe he'd do just fine 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, as of today he's up to 29 goals and 16 assists through 40 games? Almost an assist every second game thus far 

Horvat being a goal scoring center doesn't mean he doesn't possess the ability to pass imo 

It'll vary from team to team too, LA's top center in Kopitar has 11 goals and 22 assists through 44 games for example

Bo's a goal scoring center, it's what he's good at, which is why he's been on pace for 25 goals or more dating back to the 17-18 season 

199 goals and 212 assists in 612 thus far doesn't lead me to believe he can't pass 

Horvat's also historically been saddled with subpar wingers for most of his Canucks tenure, he never had an opportunity to come in and be 1C because Pettersson jumped into that role after the twins retired, this doesn't mean he couldn't do it 

Throw him in another team's top six and play him in a top line role and I believe he'd do just fine 

I get it, we just can't afford to pay Bo after we committed to JT. If we got rid of OEL/Myers/Garland/Pearson/Boeser then maybe it could be possible but seems unlikely as it is just hard to trade players with salaries they don't live up too. Teams want premium assets in return, I mean we had to pay a 2nd round pick to save just over 1m in cap...something we never should have done. Dickinson might have been an okay option as #3C this year for us, Stillman has been terrible

37 minutes ago, Neutral said:

I get it, we just can't afford to pay Bo after we committed to JT. If we got rid of OEL/Myers/Garland/Pearson/Boeser then maybe it could be possible but seems unlikely as it is just hard to trade players with salaries they don't live up too. Teams want premium assets in return, I mean we had to pay a 2nd round pick to save just over 1m in cap...something we never should have done. Dickinson might have been an okay option as #3C this year for us, Stillman has been terrible

I'm not arguing we should pay him, I'm arguing what he is 

I argued all summer that we should prioritize him and trade JT but I don't expect him to extend now, pretty sure that ship has sailed 

If we'd been smart and traded JT at either last season's deadline, the draft, or during the summer, and then used our cap space to sign Bo and actually address our defense we might just be a competitive team right now 

But that ship has sailed 

All Bo's done for the most part during his Canuck tenure is lose, and then they went and lowballed him and signed Miller to a big boy contract, why would he stay?

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Totally agree.  Everyone forgets what I think is one of your main points, . . .  playing with subpar wingers most of his career.  Can you spell Loui Eriksson ?   Hard to remember much of any season where he had two real top six wingers.  Couple that with the harder match up he's had, and I think up until this year he has been underrated.  Next, can we talk about the value, both defensively and the power play, the value of his faceoffs !!

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Then you should know… skating forward and passing backwards = slow pass

Not only that, but its a behind the back, blind pass to a general area of where QH is going to be on that set play. Its not the execution or effort level its a terrible set play by our PP coaches. IF he can put some zest on that blind back pass, he risks putting it out of the zone if its not deadly accurate. We all know that blind passes arent thsy accurate and typically wind up in a general area of where a player can retrieve it. 
That play is on the coaching staff, not Miller. If it was on him, he wouldnt keep making that play and having it picked off. Hes doing what hes being told to do and it doesnt work that great and is way too high risk.

C'mon, even the most ardent miller supporters admit this.  

13 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Then you should know… skating forward and passing backwards = slow pass

Not only that, but its a behind the back, blind pass to a general area of where QH is going to be on that set play. Its not the execution or effort level its a terrible set play by our PP coaches. IF he can put some zest on that blind back pass, he risks putting it out of the zone if its not deadly accurate. We all know that blind passes arent thsy accurate and typically wind up in a general area of where a player can retrieve it. 
That play is on the coaching staff, not Miller. If it was on him, he wouldnt keep making that play and having it picked off. Hes doing what hes being told to do and it doesnt work that great and is way too high risk.

I agree.  The behind the back pass to Hughes IS a set play.  They probably practice it every day.  If it wasn't Miller wouldn't be doing it every game as the coaches would tell him to stop.  There are several set plays on the PP that you see, trying to get Petey open for the one timer, Miller's pass in the slot to BO for the one timer.  The behind the back pass is intended to get the puck to Hughes while Miller is moving forward so the defenceman doesn't have a clear opening to Hughes, it's intended to give Hughes that 1-2 seconds to be open and make a play.  Only a Miller hater wouldn't think that it is actually a set play...

• Like 1

One thing I thought about in the  'Miller is toxic' world, is the clips of Dakota Joshua being mic'd up during a recent game.

If you saw it you would notice how many times that Dakota was cheering for 'Milsy' from the bench. Like a fan. Can't remember him shouting many other players names.

A young tough 4th liner seeming to be very supportive of JT. 

Yeah, I still like JT and think he is a good element on any team. That said, if someone wants to overpay for any of our players ( except EP), then so be it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

One thing I thought about in the  'Miller is toxic' world, is the clips of Dakota Joshua being mic'd up during a recent game.

If you saw it you would notice how many times that Dakota was cheering for 'Milsy' from the bench. Like a fan. Can't remember him shouting many other players names.

A young tough 4th liner seeming to be very supportive of JT. 

Yeah, I still like JT and think he is a good element on any team. That said, if someone wants to overpay for any of our players ( except EP), then so be it. 

Perhaps it had something to do with being mic'd up. Players tend to get a little more performative when they know they're being recorded. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats a good point.

I dont think any of us really know about 'the room' anyway.

Probably not. All anyone has (who isn't part of the team or in close enough proximity to the players) is assumption. Basing opinions off of how some players "interact" on the ice. One thing seems clear though, Schenn and Miller had a problem that was evident on the ice and needed Garland to cool it down.