The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think we will sign Bo.

How would you feel if the moves I suggested result in more than 5-6 good guys thriving on our farm, etc?

I just think that teams may have to shuffle assets around to make things fit.

And that might be a sign of the real deals getting closer.

If we sign Bo, then we lose the younger Kuz. Was this a freak season or is he gonna be a goal scoring machine next year and the following years as well? 

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting that we basically traded almost the same goals for, for goals against.

Just shows there’s no improvement. We’re just cheating the defensive side to score more. Oh and also how much of a difference Demko was actually making.

Its a pretty simple formula. We need to balance out the roster. A couple big stay at home D for the right side would make a big difference.

I also think we need to supplement the offence with some more depth. We are severely undermanned in two way forwards that can check and score.

Kinda thought that was what we were getting that with Mikhayev. Do we have a true shut down line?

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

If Erik Johnson can be on a top COL team and win a cup..  Myers and OEL can BOTH be on a playoff team. Maybe not a cup winner, but they are by no means as bad as everyone wants to believe.

Our only true way to fix this is let these guys be place holders until we can develop guys in the minors  on ELCs and step in and take over slowly for Myers, OEL, Schenn and Bear. We have to stop looking to fix the issue through trades or signings unless it is a player whos age fits with the group. 

We need goaltending... 

7 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I wouldnt say emptied the cupboards, especially since 1) Miller has lived up to and beyond the value that most 1st round picks at 20th would ever bring to a team. 2) OEL and Garland have served a purpose and are still fairly effective. Garland and Miller both had peak value after last season, that is where it really fell a part by not capitalizing on their value. Plus we just paid a 2nd to move on from Dickinson who was tied for 2nd on the team last season in rush attempts, with much less games played than everyone else, meaning he was getting tons of chances, just snake bitten. For 2.65mil for 2 more years that was a brutal overpayment to dump him off in sh*tcago. He’s doing fairly well there. Only on the ice for 31 goals against at even strength playing on a lottery team….

We still have prospects who are doing well in their respective leagues, so no, the cupboards are not empty. 

Plus dumped Beagle, Rouss, and ... drawing a blank here ... oh yeah, Louie Eriksson out.

People hating on Stillman but we also dumped No Points Dickinson and we have used Stillman, and got room for Bear.

7 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I also think we need to supplement the offence with some more depth. We are severely undermanned in two way forwards that can check and score.

Kinda thought that was what we were getting that with Mikhayev. Do we have a true shut down line?

No and we desperately need a shutdown third line center. The fact that they put all their eggs in one basket thinking we could put Petey, Miller, and Bo down the middle is why we have Dries as our third line center.

So a third line center and two right shot top 4 D. They’re gonna have their work cut out for them this deadline and offseason. Mostly because they failed to do anything last offseason to address it.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If we sign Bo, then we lose the younger Kuz. Was this a freak season or is he gonna be a goal scoring machine next year and the following years as well? 

We will sign Bo (oc, imo).

Kuz is a different question (again, imo).

One thing that is the same though, if either of them want to stay with Vancouver, they gotta bite the bullet.

1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

For whatever reason Alf likes to remind us several times a day, in multiple threads that this is his position. Literally anyone that has found this site just today and has spent more that 5 minutes here knows what Alf thinks about FA…

…and Bubble Demko and other franchises busteroo prospects. When the CDC movie is made these points will be central to the plot.

All true but I dont know if they will be central to the plot of a movie that should be called...

'Miller: the song that never ends'...the told-to-much story of a loud spicy forward blamed for a teams faliure due to bad goal tending and weak D.

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

All true but I dont know if they will be central to the plot of a movie that should be called...

'Miller: the song that never ends'...the told-to-much story of a loud spicy forward blamed for a teams faliure due to bad goal tending and weak D.

Perhaps rather than a movie, a soap opera would be more appropriate. ‘As the Whale Turns’ or ‘Days of our Canucks’?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Should people not be frustrated with Miller because the team has other issues as well?  From what I have personally read everyone from the owner on down has been criticized. (and rightfully so)  Miller is a prominent source of frustration for a reason.   

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Should people not be frustrated with Miller because the team has other issues as well?  From what I have personally read everyone from the owner on down has been criticized. (and rightfully so)  Miller is a prominent source of frustration for a reason.   

You can write an episode.

The moive idea has been turfed. Going to do a soap oprea now, everyone can get it.

I'm gonna do a really, really scary halloween special and call it simply ...'Yeo' 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No and we desperately need a shutdown third line center. The fact that they put all their eggs in one basket thinking we could put Petey, Miller, and Bo down the middle is why we have Dries as our third line center.

So a third line center and two right shot top 4 D. They’re gonna have their work cut out for them this deadline and offseason. Mostly because they failed to do anything last offseason to address it.

Gotta wonder if they ever saw Bo as a longtime Canuck. If this management group pulls off a great return on 53 at the TDL, it will seem as planned all along. We all know that trading depth pieces and cap dumps never results in blue chip trades. You have to give something up. Too many good players on this team to throw it all away. We need those pieces. I'd like to see if Aman improves and sticks. I've got a feeling they found something in this kid. Replace Bo with a tried and true PK expert/shut down C and pray to God Miler figures it out. Come on Gary... let's get going on that cap for 2023-24.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You can write an episode.

The moive idea has been turfed. Going to do a soap oprea now, everyone can get it.

I'm gonna do a really, really scary halloween special and call it simply ...'Yeo' 

The "Can Man" Adrien Broner!  Anybody CAN get it!  Alas I can't quote much more than that without risking a suspension I'm afraid!

That's who I thought of though lol!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Feel so bad throwing this tandem under the bus but Marty an Delia are in way over their heads.

@DSVII doesnt seem to think that veteran goalies like Holtby or Halak served a purpose. I bet $11000112048u139805713 Demko wishes he had a mentor to help talk him through this sh*t season. Same with Martin right now. Instead its 3 young goalies with little to no experience looking at each other for solutions.

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

@DSVII doesnt seem to think that veteran goalies like Holtby or Halak served a purpose. I bet $11000112048u139805713 Demko wishes he had a mentor to help talk him through this sh*t season. Same with Martin right now. Instead its 3 young goalies with little to no experience looking at each other for solutions.

Absolutely. Brutal miscue by management. Maybe accidentally on purpose?

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Another top priority next offseason is getting a veteran backup. 

A guy like Martin Jones would have been perfect but will likely be too expensive now.

Jonas Korpisalo might be a good target depending on price. Former protege of Ian Clark. He could help build his game back up. would allow us to rest Demko a lot more.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

If he served a purpose, we wouldn't have bought him out a year later. Why am I being dragged into this again? I never said mentor/veteran goalies weren't important, but we overpaid for Holtby and he wasn't the right acquisition. We could have targeted cheaper options considering our Cap context.

Should I call you out every time draft position comes up in a chat because you clearly don't believe having a higher pick is more valuable because Pastranak went 25th?

Would you rather have the 1st overall or 20th this year?

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1