The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Odds of Making the Playoff's Now Officially Under 1% @ 000.6%

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

30 minutes ago, jyu said:

What happened in 2002?

We only lost 8 regulation games in 39 games? We even made the playoffs that season.

Looking back, 2022 is also quite impressive. Losing only 8 times in 31 games.

2001-02 was the season i really began following the team closely. WCE was emerging as something more than a good line but a great one, linden came back. It if wasn't for a lidstrom halfway shot in the playoffs then clouts may have never collapsed. I thought 02-03 and 03-04 were better teams, and they were better on D with salo cominf on but that 01-02 had a great shot. I used to have audio clips of shorty and larshied calling the wce goals "this freight train has the greatest hands for a big man i've ever seen" but i lost them or deleted them in rage.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/relive-the-2001-02-vancouver-canucks-season

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

2001-02 was the season i really began following the team closely. WCE was emerging as something more than a good line but a great one, linden came back. It if wasn't for a lidstrom halfway shot in the playoffs then clouts may have never collapsed. I thought 02-03 and 03-04 were better teams, and they were better on D with salo cominf on but that 01-02 had a great shot. I used to have audio clips of shorty and larshied calling the wce goals "this freight train has the greatest hands for a big man i've ever seen" but i lost them or deleted them in rage.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/relive-the-2001-02-vancouver-canucks-season

What caused the rage that resulted in deleting the audio clips?

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Over the summer, most posters were saying this team was a sure in for the playoffs. I had a couple heated discussions saying I didn't think it was that cut and dry (I did think we would make it, it would just be close and likely a bubble team)

I hate that I was right in having doubts. Wish I was right about still being a playoff team.

I hear you. 

I had numerous back & forths wt several posters here - in a mostly respectful way - I had 2 big concerns then:

1.  If our defence personnel didn't change our record likely wouldn't change either. 

2.  We were WAY too reliant on Demko playing at an unsustainable level and if his level changed and/or injury occurred,  we were done for.

Their point was that we supposedly had one of the best top 6 units in the entire league and finished the season with one of the best records after winter break. 

Here we are now......

This isn't a 'told you so' post as much as it is a 'I hope management/ownership learned something' from this post....but I have doubts about that unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

The worst thing to happen to this franchise in the past 10 years was making the “playoffs” in 2020. It gave false hope to the fans, management, and owners that this team was actually a playoff team.

Agreed tbh, that season was a mirage. The little run was a mirage. Fun to watch but still a mirage. 

Any other season we'd have missed the playoffs again, we made it because of math and just barely. Markstrom had gone down with a knee injury and we'd begun to trend downwards. Covid putting an end to that season and a play-in round that didn't exist beforehand coming into play is what got us in. 

Had a worldwide pandemic not factored in it'd have likely have been another lost season, which probably would have been for the best. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

What's our odds of bedard ? Like 5%?

Means that team tank and team competitive have a 95% chance they both get disappointed.

Yes, the odds are better however. It should have been clearer after all those losses at the beginning we weren't close and they still chose to do nothing so they basically limited our chances of having either.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • There it is 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to Canucks Odds of Making the Playoff's Now Officially Under 1% @ 000.6%

Surprisingly our odds actually dropped from 000.9% chance to 000.6% chance (less than 1%) after todays victory over the canes - due to other teams winning.  If all goes well. they should be out of their misery by this time next weekend and the Fire-Sale may begin!

Before this road trip we could have made a trade, forward for a defenceman, and I think we could have picked up some wins, stay competitive, then deal Bo for a young D and center at the TDL and make a real push.

Management have done NOTHING and watched the season slide before their eyes, it's too late now to do anything, they can't make any hockey trades and realistically cannot be competitive this year so have to think rebuild to some degree. Even if they want to do it stealthily and trade our players for very young 20-25 players who likely aren't good now but will grow with the team, they have no chance to be competitive this year. Maybe they aim for the playoffs next year but I'd rather we just full sell and gain a bunch of picks and prospects than young players other teams have given up on.

It was on this new management to fix the defence as soon as they were hired. They made moves for 7th D-men instead of hunting quality guys (UFA or trade a forward) and we're over a year into their tenure and nothing has changed so they shouldn't be surprised.

• There it is 1