The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Jan. 15, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

lol. I know I'm on an island for sure but I'm warming up to the idea. I guess logistically I would prefer Yeo just taking over but this is getting embarrassing for Bruce. I'm in the boat that it's pretty hard to get a good read on a coach if you don't see him or pay attention to the teams they're coaching. I don't think many people here have any clue of what he's like as a coach. He was a hell of a player though.

Aren't you one of the 20% still cheering for wins? That's a win now move. If you think there may be better options I would agree with that statement although I'm not sure what they would be. 

I actually want Bedard this year or a top 5 pick. This is the year to do it. I've made that widely known.

What I'm saying is this fanbase, imo, won't be able to handle Tocchet. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think we should go the 3 scoring line route. Have capable players on the 3rd line who can contribute, but the 3rd line most importantly has to have very good penalty killers on it. This is why our penalty kill sucks. Because we have 3 scoring lines and nobody that can kill a penalty on the 3rd line. 

I still dont understand why PK is so bad

We had old man Edler and Stecher killing penalties and they did way better than the current group. 

My guess is we don't have enough shot blockers for the style the coaching staff wants to play. 

Canucks always played a passive PK. But then they used to have guys like Beagle, Edler Tanev who would get in the lane and block shots. 

Our personnel now aren't shot blockers. We needed to have morphed our pk into more high pressure defense that pressures the puck and take time and space away as a 4 man unit but we don't. One guy pressures while the other 3 stay passive so the pressured puck carrier distributes the puck and then the offense has time and space again to reset and find a cross seam pass while the one forward is now tired from chasing. 

The PK should really be better with Myers, Schenn, Horvat, Mikheyev Petterson etc. 

For that reason I am hesitant in taking 3 scoring lines and reducing it to 2 because I don't think it's a personnel issue. I think it's more of a strategy / coaching issue. 

Petterson is one of the best anticipaters of the puck and reads plays extremely well. 

We should be having more SH opportunities with guys like him and Mikheyev. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Last four games, Hughes has 7 points and is a plus 6.  We are a winning team, in all situations, when Quinn is on the ice. 

Last 6 games:

Quinn Hughes - 7 points and plus 7

Elias Pettersson - 8 points and plus 2 

JT Miller - 7 points and plus 2 

Bo Horvat - 6 points and plus 4 

Quinn Hughes has been our best player the last 6 games.  Also, the Miller haters really need to give it a rest. 

We are 2-4 in our last 6 games with 26 goals against. Obviously it’s because we have no defence and no defensive structure, not because of any of the above players. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I didn't want to create a thread for this specific picture, but here's ANOTHER example of Miller causing a goal against.

image.thumb.png.a4f5c7f1acc583caa4bd0a9bb1740668.png

That's on Horvat. Not Miller.   Breaking in antcipation, looking for the hail Mary pass 

7 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

two sweet passes from Kuz to set up the goals, one was a no looker to Bear. This is the guy you keep and trade Boeser and Garland.

Boesers shot is gone but he gets his points around the net now. He's still got some value.

Put him on a team with some passing/creative skill like he had in his first couple seasons with the Sedins and then Vanek and he might get the open looks again and a little more time to get his shot off. He's a smart enough player to play with skilled guys like Sidney,  Barzal etc and he could do really well.

Or with Petey and Kutz 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Guess that raises the question? Who does JR and PA view as "core" pieces, and who's going to get amputated? 

EP

Hughes

Miller

Demko

Kuz

Mik

Podz

Hog

OEL 

I'd put Bo in there but we can't afford him. Also, have to put OEL in there due to his contract.

The rest needs to go. Yes Garland, Boeser, etc.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

That's exactly my point. Don't care if we have to retain on several players (obviously not my money), but We are not going to sign big buck players right now.

Need to get players that doesn't fit out of the club, before we start adding... otherwise we just continue to walk around in circles in cap hell...

It won't be until Myers are off loaded and of the books (with retention its another year down the line, Pearson is off, Brock is gone and Garland too before we can start to look at getting team that can be built too contend...

Whether Bo, Miller or whoever is going to be part of this remains to be seen, but I really hope we open up spaces on the wings for Kim, Hogs and Podz in the future be it one or two years from now...

We are going nowhere just now... standing pat won't do... Changes are needed and not just one or two media defenders...

Good job Spook. This post perfectly portrays my concerns moving forward. I think Kuzmenko is definitely a guy that has chemistry with Petey, has shown to be a good player, and fits in very well. Unfortunately with all the poor signings this summer (Miller, Boeser) that becomes a perilous adventure too. We have to make our minds up on that and commit to $6mil in 50 days or so. Meanwhile we do not know whether or not we can ever rid ourselves of enough money (Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Myers) to address the real areas of concern on the team ... all for yet another winger. Even Mikeyhev who has proven his worth is yet another winger who costs another $5 mil.

Hopefully the FO is looking at retaining if they have to. Like you said we're not going to be competitive for a year or two anyway. Does management agree though?

• Cheers 1