The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Jan. 15, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Boeser's game tying goal in the last seconds today was very impressive.  I think that ol Brock is coming out of his funk

All he needed was to start playing with his buddy Pettersson. 

Good thing is that Kuz seems to be able to generate offense away from Petey so we might as well keep Brock with Petey longer. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Funny watching Burns chase him around the net on the replay.

You’re right that was perfectly timed to slip his check and get to the front of the net.

Boeser has looked pretty good the last couple of weeks now. I thought he played poorly today up until the 3rd period. 

All he needs is literally a power skating coach. He’s strong with the puck and his edge work is great, the thing that holds him back is his acceleration which can be fixed. If he is able to accelerate quicker, his top end speed will naturally improve.

Patrick Sharp was someone who I remember that was a great skater but was super slow at generating speed. I remember reading an article stating how over the years as he got older, he actually became quicker and that was because he put more emphasis on doing more explosive workouts off the ice.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Bruce unfortunately can't fix a system that doesn't work.  He needs somebody to help him.  He's a motivational coach, not a systems coach.  That's why Shaw was so good for him last year.

Absolutely the right call. Everyone, including me, likes Bruce a lot. And he has been very successful as a head coach (at least in the regular season). He succeeds by getting the most out of individual players -- especially stars like Ovie and Petey.

But he needs a good complement who can handle defensive systems, the PK, and other stuff that was not Bruce's strength. Yeo was the wrong guy for that job.

And right now the Canucks probably do need a coach who can instill most disciplined defensive play and a better PK system. I don't particularly like Tochett but he has shown he can coach defensive structure. Personally, I would rather go with Colliton.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

BB is in charge of the pk, yeo manages it according to what BB wants

I’m generally in agreement with you stawns,  but I’m undecided on coaching. Was last year’s ‘Bruce bump’ all on demko? Or did Shaw, Walker, and a non-lame-duck Boudreau actually have us playing playoff quality hockey. Our record post Bruce was better than our play, but Demko was pretty great at the start with Green too. I can’t help but feel Bruce and the team were knee-capped by management from the start of the season. Cull and Yeo, wingers over defensemen, no backup for 3C or Demko if he didn’t fully recover from surgery, and a lack of public support (opposite of support in fact) for Bo and Bruce.  I’m having a hard time blaming Bruce, but I’d agree he’s not the answer.

Edited by RinkonRenfrew
Fat fingers - small phone
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

It seems like he was annoyed that he didn’t know Bruce was signed for an additional year and so he was basically stuck with him.

I mean yes that would suck if it messed with what his plans were, but it’s not Bruce’s fault and you still have to find a way to make it work.

How is it possible JR didn’t know about Bruce’s contract. He’s a smart guy, he must have asked. It feels very insincere when he pulls out that excuse. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Boeser's game tying goal in the last seconds today was very impressive.  I think that ol Brock is coming out of his funk

1 hour ago, swimsWithDucks said:

Not really. The d man lost coverage of him and he picked up a garbage goal. Anyone could have done it.

39 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Boeser beat Burns out, Burns actually didn't lose him.  He was behind him.  That's all Boeser.  There are a lot of things that have to go right to score that goal, mostly with timing.  Boeser earned that goal.

I feel like weighing in on this one.

There really isn't much difference between saying "the D-man lost his check" and "the forward slipped the defender". They are operationally equivalent. D-men are always trying to stay on top of forwards near the net and forwards are always trying to find time and space near the net. Burns is a very good D-man and Boeser made a nice play to get open in this case -- showing good anticipation. He was also able to bear down and slide the puck under the goalie instead of shooting it into his pads as Lazar did on a similar opportunity in the last game.

So, credit to Boeser. And he has been playing a lot better in the last few weeks than earlier in the season. Still not worth his cap, but much better on both sides of the puck.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Connor McDooDoo said:

Boeser has looked pretty good the last couple of weeks now. I thought he played poorly today up until the 3rd period. 

All he needs is literally a power skating coach. He’s strong with the puck and his edge work is great, the thing that holds him back is his acceleration which can be fixed. If he is able to accelerate quicker, his top end speed will naturally improve.

Patrick Sharp was someone who I remember that was a great skater but was super slow at generating speed. I remember reading an article stating how over the years as he got older, he actually became quicker and that was because he put more emphasis on doing more explosive workouts off the ice.

I like the Sharp comparison.  Brock is a smart guy. His amazing rookie season shot seems to be gone. He was never fast or particularly engaged. He is a strong guy, and quietly putting up points. I’d rather trade him than lose Horvat, but I do believe BB6 is a good bet for a top 6 reclamation project.  I always see a bit of Vanek in him. If he was a bargain 2 mill/yr vet we’d love the guy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

When the management team publicly gives a vote of no confidence to the coach and captain at/near the season’s start, and hands out a retirement contract to the highest point producing player with questionable defensive effort, why would anyone expect buy-in from the players to play ‘the right way’. 

I feel bad for Bruce. Good coach, toxic situation.

I agree completely with all three bolded statements. I think JR is an a***hole for treating Bruce as he has. But the current situation is not good and obviously a coaching change is needed for next year. It looks like the change will happen in a few weeks.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Absolutely the right call. Everyone, including me, likes Bruce a lot. And he has been very successful as a head coach (at least in the regular season). He succeeds by getting the most out of individual players -- especially stars like Ovie and Petey.

But he needs a good complement who can handle defensive systems, the PK, and other stuff that was not Bruce's strength. Yeo was the wrong guy for that job.

And right now the Canucks probably do need a coach who can instill most disciplined defensive play and a better PK system. I don't particularly like Tochett but he has shown he can coach defensive structure. Personally, I would rather go with Colliton.

To me Yeo seemed like a hire they made to hedge their bet of "unfinished business" with Bruce.    As in having an interim coach in place in case the wheels fell off and needed to go back into rebuild mode.   

Tochett.   Well having watching the guy play - hard to believe the players would get away much from accountability.   Love to see Miller try and get away with some of his stuff with Tochett.   Lol not happening.   Accountability.    And structure are catch phrases this season. Green tried.  He really did.   And actually had a worse team on paper, playing a lot better 5 x 5 than this one has this year defensively.   So ... try Tochett.   And keep Demko on ice.   

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Viper007 said:

I'm pretty sure they'll just do what they normally do on plane trips.  Some will play cards, some will watch movies/show, some will sleep.  You think they're all going to be drinking and dancing? 

id be going hard if i played in the league :lol:

• Cheers 1

two sweet passes from Kuz to set up the goals, one was a no looker to Bear. This is the guy you keep and trade Boeser and Garland.

Boesers shot is gone but he gets his points around the net now. He's still got some value.

Put him on a team with some passing/creative skill like he had in his first couple seasons with the Sedins and then Vanek and he might get the open looks again and a little more time to get his shot off. He's a smart enough player to play with skilled guys like Sidney,  Barzal etc and he could do really well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2