The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Jan. 15, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Really was a weird night...with my daughter's sad event and then Gino. I only half watched half the game (that never happens). So much sadness kicking off this new year.

Was happy for the boys ... I feel like they needed a win. As much as wins do more harm than good at this point, I don't want Petey completely wrecked by losing. There has to be some light in that room and a win that they squeaked out last minute was much needed. 17 seconds left, awesome. Celebrate the small victories at this point. The losses have a soft landing cushion but the wins still bring some joy.

With Gino's passing, it puts a new slant on priorities and perspective. I'm just enjoying the game and the players I love...win and lose. All the screaming out there gets deafening at times...enjoy life folks. It's precious. Pretty rocked right now with it all.

A very true statement about enjoying life and it being precious. The game is just that a game in the end. 

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I didn't want to create a thread for this specific picture, but here's ANOTHER example of Miller causing a goal against.

image.thumb.png.a4f5c7f1acc583caa4bd0a9bb1740668.png

This is 100% on Bo.  He should be stopped and not blowing the zone.  Miller made the check in net front. He gained control of the puck.  And he moved it to Bo, who should be stopped, and not flying out.  That's all on Bo.  He needs to play defensively.  And Bo struggles A LOT with the defensive side of the game. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

@OldFaithfulCap so JRs veiw of Boudreau is another floccinaucinihilipilification? Which only adds to his list of omnishambles?  I can’t keep up with the pace of GDTs as it is. This teams confusing enough already and you just made it confusinger :P

Apparently so! The history of floccinaucinihilipilification is amusing. They took a bunch of latin words in the 18th century that all meant nothing and joined them together  https://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-flo2.htm

Omnishables is more recent, from a tv show starring the old doctor who who was in the new doctor who before doctor who became a woman. He was also in a band with craig ferguson who was my favorite late night host.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Apparently so! The history of floccinaucinihilipilification is amusing. They took a bunch of latin words in the 18th century that all meant nothing and joined them together  https://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-flo2.htm

Omnishables is more recent, from a tv show starring the old doctor who who was in the new doctor who before doctor who became a woman. He was also in a band with craig ferguson who was my favorite late night host.

I hope nobody runs those words by JR. he’s confused enough. Lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I agree Lekkerimakï has struggled since his draft.

I believe he is still recovering from Mono?

There is no straight trajectory for NHL prospects, he's also 18 for another 6 months. 

patience, ice time, repetition and the gym and he will be ready in a few years.

People need to realize he's a teenager. Players are going to have ups and downs, he's having an off year there's no need to panic. He's still learning and developing as a player. He has 7 points in his last 10 games and +3 - he hasn't fallen off the face of the earth, the expectations we put on these 17-18 year old kids is crazy, especially since many of them are playing against men who have been pro for 10+ years already.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

two sweet passes from Kuz to set up the goals, one was a no looker to Bear. This is the guy you keep and trade Boeser and Garland.

Boesers shot is gone but he gets his points around the net now. He's still got some value.

Put him on a team with some passing/creative skill like he had in his first couple seasons with the Sedins and then Vanek and he might get the open looks again and a little more time to get his shot off. He's a smart enough player to play with skilled guys like Sidney,  Barzal etc and he could do really well.

If only it were that simple. These guys have and are going to struggle with making one big trade in Bo let alone the 2-3 and 4 they should be making. Maybe next year one of them goes.

I think they'll sign Kuz but will not be good enough to figure out trades for our riff raff and we will go yet another year with this shite defence. Everyone will rejoice but we'll have the same crap team minus Bo. Rinse and repeat. Yahhh, Boooo. Whatever I have zero faith in management.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And when these hockey people get into large debt with a crime syndicate they become targets for fixing games.  Tocchet is a good ol’ boy and took the hit for all the hockey people by saying nothing.  He’s trusted by the league to protect the brand.  

Right. But an assistant coach betting on games is a big deal. He knows the lines, he can scratch players and provide inside intel. Say last night you wanted to bet big on the canes and then you got inside info that Staal was out. It alters the bets. Definitely a worrying thing and of course there's more money in gambling now...

12 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This fanbase won't be able to handle Tocchet. Guaranteed. 

lol. I know I'm on an island for sure but I'm warming up to the idea (King Heffy's response alone would be gold). I guess logistically I would prefer Yeo just taking over but this is getting embarrassing for Bruce. I'm in the boat that it's pretty hard to get a good read on a coach if you don't see him or pay attention to the teams they're coaching. I don't think many people here followed Arizona or have any clue of what he's like as a coach. He was a hell of a player though.

Aren't you one of the 20% still cheering for wins? That's a win now move. If you think there may be better options I would agree with that statement although I'm not sure what they would be. 

Edited by Gawdzukes

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yep Bedard is a pipe dream to me but more realistically, what I realized is that Kuz can infact carry a line. 

I wonder if Millstein and JR had negotiations around the uncertainty of Kuz's production and whether he is worth 6m+ without playing with Petey. 

So maybe they test it out (lost season anyway) and put Kuz with guys like Studnicka and Dries (average NHLers at best) to see what happens. 

I am guessing we will now see a long term extension for Kuz as he has shown he is capable of producing regardless of who is on his line. 

I do wonder though, if Kuz is capable of getting points without Petey and improving another line on his own, does it make sense to keep him there so we have 3 scoring lines? 

I don’t think we should go the 3 scoring line route. Have capable players on the 3rd line who can contribute, but the 3rd line most importantly has to have very good penalty killers on it. This is why our penalty kill sucks. Because we have 3 scoring lines and nobody that can kill a penalty on the 3rd line. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol. I know I'm on an island for sure but I'm warming up to the idea. I guess logistically I would prefer Yeo just taking over but this is getting embarrassing for Bruce. I'm in the boat that it's pretty hard to get a good read on a coach if you don't see him or pay attention to the teams they're coaching. I don't think many people here have any clue of what he's like as a coach. He was a hell of a player though.

Aren't you one of the 20% still cheering for wins? That's a win now move. If you think there may be better options I would agree with that statement although I'm not sure what they would be. 

Gretzky was a hell of a player. Not so much as a coach. 

• Cheers 2