The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Meh,  I think the "toxic in the room" is highly exaggerated.  Kesler also had a more growly personality.  I garantee that most other players would think a floater like LE or Virtanten is more "toxic" to the culture of the team than a team mate that takes losing too emotionally.  I think people also are equating a hockey dressing room with a regular office worker room.  These players have been around a variety of types of personalities, and have probably dealt with other "heart on their sleeve" team mates during their career. And I garantee if you asked them, not one of them, including Delia, would honestly tell you JT was a toxicity to the team. 

People imagine Miller working in their office work room and coming in smashing his stick against a desk, yelling at a new hire for being in his way, and then dragging his feet to the office meeting.  Hockey teams are made up of all kinds of personalities, ethnicities, cultures, with elite athletes where winning is the only thing that matters.  And playing as a team is the way to win.

Petey IMO would hate it if JT was forced out. He is not hampered in his play because he sees the team as "JT's team", he wants the talent here to play with and make him better, which JT does.

Good post! To be honest, imo, we need more diverse personalities, guys with edges like Miller, and guys that bring those not so nice things in their game that other teammates can't. It's foolish to expect all players to lead in the same way. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd trust the average CDCer more than Rutherford at this point.

Saying something like this about Benning eight years ago, hell even three years ago would have been met with rage. 

Glad to see views have shifted

Organization is not serious about winning a cup. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Fire Benning 

Too bad he wasnt still employed along with Linden. Both were teammates of Odjick and could have given heartfelt and genuine words on the passing of Odjick and what he meant to them/Vancouver

speaking only on this being what could have been a special moment for the organization

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Saying something like this about Benning eight years ago, hell even three years ago would have been met with rage. 

Glad to see views have shifted

Organization is not serious about winning a cup. 

We still have a bunch of people making excuses for this current management.

• Cheers 1

I actually liked the interview. He said it like it is - they can't do anything because of the cap and it'll be a slow process. Sounds to me like they still want to get younger and if they're not wanting draft picks, fine. At least they're looking at acquiring young NHL players who may need another opportunity somewhere else (VAN), for whatever reason. Maybe they're struggling to get going offensively or they just can't get a spot in the lineup. Getting younger players has always been the plan with this management, so if that's still the plan, I'm good with that. I'm curious who the young players are they're targeting.

JR also said the Canucks have good players, but they aren't playing like a team on most nights. Bad mix of players? Some Country Club attitudes living in a beautiful location? It's a work in progress and eventually they will switch out players on the roster, and with Tocchet as the new head coach, maybe they become a team who come to play every game. 

He did say major surgery though, so I'm hoping there's a splash at the TDL.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jyu said:

Bo has been blowing out early from the dzone many times. 

he’s playing a bit differently. 

I think maybe Bo is even surprising himself with his goal scoring numbers.  And maybe wishes he'd been more selfish before. He's definitely blowing the zone earlier, and going for the shot way more often.  He may have thought he had a responsibility earlier in his career to work on being more of a 200 foot player, and avoid looking like he was only interested in his own stats.  Problem is, he never was and never will be, a Selke winner, and so he never achieved high scoring totals OR was regarded as the next Toews or Bergeron. Jack of all trades and master of none.

I'm sure his agent advised him, after JR didn't come up to his demands last summer, just concentrate on padding your stats, especially goals. Because goals are the shiniest of stats. So that you can prove your worth of that ask, either to JR or to the next team. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, kilgore said:

People imagine Miller working in their office work room and coming in smashing his stick against a desk, yelling at a new hire for being in his way, and then dragging his feet to the office meeting.

Love it, I actually had a visual of this and thought of Terry Tate,

Edited by InTheCrease

20 minutes ago, Screw said:

Way off base.   It was a response to the Oilers total ineptitude and grabbing 1st overall multiple times over the course of a 5 year span.

@Toyotasfan

If any other American team did it, it'd be fine. As soon as a Canadian team did it, changes would be made right away. We've seen this with the Oilers, and then we saw it with the Canucks (trading Torts for a 2nd rounder).

The Canucks did their Luongo contract and were punished heavily for it. Not much was done with Jersey.

21 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Meh,  I think the "toxic in the room" is highly exaggerated.  Kesler also had a more growly personality.  I garantee that most other players would think a floater like LE or Virtanten is more "toxic" to the culture of the team than a team mate that takes losing too emotionally.  I think people also are equating a hockey dressing room with a regular office worker room.  These players have been around a variety of types of personalities, and have probably dealt with other "heart on their sleeve" team mates during their career. And I garantee if you asked them, not one of them, including Delia, would honestly tell you JT was a toxicity to the team. 

People imagine Miller working in their office work room and coming in smashing his stick against a desk, yelling at a new hire for being in his way, and then dragging his feet to the office meeting.  Hockey teams are made up of all kinds of personalities, ethnicities, cultures, with elite athletes where winning is the only thing that matters.  And playing as a team is the way to win.

Petey IMO would hate it if JT was forced out. He is not hampered in his play because he sees the team as "JT's team", he wants the talent here to play with and make him better, which JT does.

Disagree it's overblown, it's right out there on the open for everyone to see

As far as Kessler goes, he was accountable on the ice and he left it all out there, every shift.  JT.......not so much