The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

As most long-time Canucks fans know, we've got some pretty embarrassing records attached to this franchise but Donnie & Dhali pointed out another one yesterday on their show that I didn't know about.    That is, that the Canucks apparently have had the most 500 Goal scorers - score their landmark goal against us than any other team in NHL History

They are;

• Makita
  • Marleau
  • Gretzky
  • Sakic
  • and now Stamkos

Ladies and gents, may I present you…. Our future coach

………. Plz someone explain wtf kind of system is that :lol: Looks like Sodoku

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Ladies and gents, may I present you…. Our future coach

………. Plz someone explain wtf kind of system is that :lol: Looks like Sodoku

Tocchet looks like he'd shake you down for your pocket change if you walked down the wrong alley.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

But like Miller, they arn't offering pay on a career year.

Miller took  a lot less than some hockey minds here on CDC were telling me he could get on the market.

Some were saying he could get over 9mil and these were posters that didn't like Miller. 

Yeah I get what you're saying...that was still a career best year for him though in terms of PPG and total points, Miller has been a PPG previously so I get that. But to me, they overpaid on term....I would have rather traded him than pay him $8m into his late 30's. Term is too long, statistically it's almost guaranteed his production will start to decline soon (it already has)...and well before his contract ends 8 years from now. A 36 year old JT miller won't be a PPG or likely worth anywhere near $8m. I'll ask you this, would they have signed him to that deal if he put up say 60-70 points or less? It's arguable, and it likely wouldn't have looked the same.... but the career best year had much more to do with it than people think, it definitely wasn't irrelevant. 

Is JT playing an $8m/yr player right now? Most would agree the answer is no, but most would also agree he is at 99 points. He's not going to get better with age either, most players don't. He's on pace for 74 points, and people are unhappy with his production as well as his defensive play/effort....his point totals are unlikely to increase or reach 99 again. It's all fun and games when he's lacking effort defensively and coughing up the puck 2-3 times a game at 99 points, but at less than a PPG average it doesn't seem so sunny and bright. There will be another 7 years of it, with declining point totals likely to come as he gets older.

Edited by Harold Drunken

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Aquilini is the polar opposite. He doesn’t care about this market, it’s people, he cares about staying rich, expanding his empire on the backs of everyone else. 

He’ll pump and dump this team like a stock as long as he has property rights and expands his real estate holdings by buying up all the land he can around Rogers for his profit and benefit. 

That’s ‘our’ team’s current owner. 

I couldn't disagree more:

He's spent to the cap every year he's owned the team

He has never balked at a buyout 

He is paying Ferland out of cashflow ... Ferland's contract was uninsurable 

These are hallmarks of a comitted owner, not a grasping "profit at all costs" one

Edited by Googlie

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There needs to be a balance. They also have to play NHL games to get a feel what it's like in the big leagues. 

That's the juggling act. 

Podz, Hogs and Aman already have that experience.  Anyone else can wait for next season.  I did say that

it would also depend on the trades(returns) made at TDL.  The team may have to call up some of the

AHL players to fill the roster.

17 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I couldn't disagree more:

He's spent to the cap every year he's owned the team

He has never balked at a buyout 

He is paying Ferland out of cashflow ... Ferland's contract was uninsurable 

These are hallmarks of a comitted owner, not a grasping "profit at all costs" one

I dont think profit motivates him too much.

Besides, he bought the club for 250mil and it is now valued at 1bil ( from memory).

In the past what motivated him was getting a cup before his dad dies.

He also does have a hand in the teams ops. I was one degree of seperation ( business and personally) from the fam for years and heard quite a few stories. 

With the exception of 2/3 of the 1st period, I liked this game. Not everyone, but most played hard enough to win. Martin was really bad and Elliot was really good (and lucky). Our defense, especially in the 1st, was pathetic, and a lot of that is on Yeo. No question we're lacking a couple of good defensemen, but the system, particularly with the defensive play of our forwards, is severely lacking. It's also on Boudreau, who I generally like, but feel he's not the coach for this team.

This is a team with a number of players who need a kick in the ass and BBs not enough of an a##hole to do that. Maybe Tocchet is, who knows. I believe JR (and maybe Alvine) has a pretty good sense of what needs to be done for a soft rebuild, or retool as he calls it. He's made a few mistakes (Miller), but he's also made some good moves (Bear, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev) and once he's able to make those reclamation trades he talks about, the retool will begin, and if he gets it right, we'll all be back to being happier with our team. 

Ever hopeful fan.

Just now, Canuck You said:

I hope for our sanity we win the cup in the next 15-20 yrs otherwise I might have to jump ship, get a lobotomy..Move to Boston and become a Bruin, Cuz guess what?! We got cups suckaz!..yea I'm losing it already.

I'm out if they hire Tocshit.

I'll keep up to speed and maybe return in a couple years when this next coach is turfed. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont think profit motivates him too much.

Besides, he bought the club for 250mil and it is now valued at 1bil ( from memory).

In the past what motivated him was getting a cup before his dad dies.

He also does have a hand in the teams ops. I was one degree of seperation ( business and personally) from the fam for years and heard quite a few stories. 

You're correct on that value assessment for sure. 

But He's a lifelong businessman and investor....profits and being as profitable as possible are literally what he and his companies do for a living. The Canucks are his largest investment to date.

Edited by Harold Drunken