The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

He's a lifelong businessman and investor....profits and being as profitable as possible are literally what he does for a living. 

I know what I know about the fam. You dont have to beleive.

And profit of 750mil is literally making some profit. Is it max? maybe not but if he keeps retooling instead of a rebuild, then in theory the Nucks make the dance more often which equals big revenue. 

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know what I know about the fam. You dont have to beleive.

And profit of 750mil is literally making some profit. Is it max? maybe not but if he keeps retooling instead of a rebuild, then in theory the Nucks make the dance more often which equals big revenue. 

It's technically only profit if he sells the team. Meanwhile, while you own the team it has to be super profitable to gain that much value.....that's how investment works. It's not that I don't believe that you somehow know the Aquilini's, I've go zero way to vet that information. I just know how investing works. 

To own an NHL team, have it increase in value three- fold and then say the owner (who's an investor) likely isn't motivated by profit just doesn't seem to hold water. Maybe I'm just a pessimist. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

Ethan Bear being at the right place defensively and then tripping over someone and getting taken out of the play resulting effectively in a 2 on 0 for another goal against is pretty much the epitome of canucks hockey. 

So was Burroughs reversing the puck to a Tampa player and getting scored on... 

SMH.... 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

If they do hire Tocchett I pray that they at least put time into hiring really good assistants.

They completely screwed that up last time with Cull and Yeo. Doesn’t give me confidence that they won’t just go with some other failed retread and someone like Agnew from Abbotsford…

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

It's only profit if he sells the team. Meanwhile, while you own the team it has to be super profitable to gain that much value.....that's how investment works. It's not that I don't believe that you somehow know the Aquilini's, I've go zero way to vet that information. I just know how investing works. 

To own an NHL team, have it increase in value three fold and then say the owner (who's an investor) likely isn't motivated by profit just doesn't seem to hold water.

I'm not disagreeing with how investments work.

It wouldn't be the first time a billioniare does things with his money for personal reasons, though. Elon and Kanye come to mind. 

I worked with his high up people on the business side. I also had a friend that dated his daughter for years. They had a few stories. Nothing crazy but the familly is 'invested' in what decisions the team makes.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Isn't Ethan Bear technically a reclamation project?

Totally. The definition of one. But that still doesn't mean trading picks for projects is the road to the Stanley cup. You need to have off years in order to win a cup. Full rebuild or not can be argued. But not having any off years, like Vancouver, Calgary and Philly seem to do, will not work. 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33