The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Joshua is gone if he doesn’t turn it around.

Hes way too invisible and doesn’t really bring enough consistently.

The 4th line was playing much better last Oct/Nov. If their TOI is bumped up to + 12 minutes it has to help them.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Rick Tocchet is going with:

Finally! Somebody knows what a line up should look like. We are going to see a different type of attack and defense then what we are used to.

I still would like to see a Petterson, Pederson, Kuzmenko reunion though. they seemed to have chemistry the short time they were together.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Joshua is gone if he doesn’t turn it around.

Hes way too invisible and doesn’t really bring enough consistently.

you either have it or you dont.  joshua doesnt have the consistency to be a difference maker- unfortunately, we have too many of those guys on the team - boeser, dries, lockwood

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

No coach who's worth anything, would accept that. Horvat is our captain until he's traded. He's not the problem, rarely takes a shift off, is pushing it every time he's on the ice.

Doesn't get rattled, he's what you want your group to emulate in general.

Tocchet isn't worth anything though.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Agree, even though their play is different ,Miller and Kesler have the same angry edge to their game and why neither would make a good captain.

Petey is the obvious choice if Bo's gone by deadline although they probably won't name one until next season starts.

That said Tocchet should be able to temper Miller better with shorter shifts, less minutes, and some added disipline.

kesler thrived on being hated also it seemed like the madder he got the better he played with miller it seems he just blows his  fuse and  gives up. But let’s hope RT gets thru to him. Other wise it’ll be someone else’s problem. 

• Cheers 1

Another thing people need to be conscious about is how smart businessmen like Aqua handle finances. As such Aqua didnt want to fire BB too early in the season as every month that passes costs $200k/month in salary. By waiting a few months Aqua saved $400-$600k easily, I am sorry but that is significant money. 

The same can be said about buy outs, Aqua wont ever approve buy outs over $1 mill/year. Why? Because a buyout that costs $2-$3/mill per season X years is simply unacceptable to the bottom line of a business, for Canucks where income runs anywhere from $25-$30 mill a year to have 10% of your entire income shaved off on 1 player isnt worth it. Doesnt matter how much that helps the team, there is no way 10% margin cut is ever going to be approved by an organization, no one throws money around like that especially not Aqua. Amazed how little fans care about personal finances or business profits, I would ask that you treat these decisions as a NHL 2023 Team Manager.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, lmm said:

I was not a fan of Trent Cull, but why Cull and not King?

Is JK going to turn into the next Ron Delorme?

Management just got fed up with his incessant "give Lukas Jasek a call  - we need a 3rd line Center"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

We have 9 games remaining against teams below us in the standings. This season is a write off. It is imperative we gift as many points to those teams as possible.

Not a write off, we brought in Tocchet to try to get as many wins as possible down the stretch. 

I do think Tochett will improve the team.  How much?

Opportunities, both are big, and we can be in that play off mix (cough, not this year, but in calibre); 

1) Fix the PK 

2) Improve the Goaltending

One can be done with a coaching change. Two could just be a healthy Demko! These can make a massive difference right away. Mid term, structure.  The elephant in the room.  It will at least take 3 to 4 months to adapt to a structured coach from Run & Gun Bruce.  Longer term, absolutely we need to be better on D.  That will take personnel change, development time.  We won't be contenders till that is addressed! Not enough composure on the sticks of our ''defensive'' D. We could also dip in offensive productivity as players adapt. Gulp, no cheating or not back ckecking JTM. Or when we trade a Bo Horvat / Miller. 

If we could keep most of our offense?  But get league average PK. Then Demko comes back strong.  We can look a lot better right away.

• Cheers 2

Past the fumbling of the firing of Bruce he needed to go. This is a loser team. 

Did people pay to see Bruce lead a losing team?

This coach needed to go. Their  best effort on Saturday night wasn't even close enough. 

Loser coach too bad the way it went down but life isn't fare. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

If we could keep most of our offense?  But get league average PK. Then Demko comes back strong.

Tochett worked under who, Sullivan in Pittsburgh?

They kept their offense. Turned a lot of tricks with D who looked bad in other places.  And won Stanley Cups.   I am not saying we don't need another stout defensive D.  It is actually, has been since Hamhuis (was declining), is our teams highest priority. Everyone knows this.

But our team strength is the wizardry of Hughes, PETEY, Kuzmenko.  I am also intrigued to see if Tochett can keep the offense flowing!  

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, chon derry said:

kesler thrived on being hated also it seemed like the madder he got the better he played with miller it seems he just blows his  fuse and  gives up. But let’s hope RT gets thru to him. Other wise it’ll be someone else’s problem. 

Miller doesn't hold a candle to Kes's compete level. Both of them being moody doesn't make them similar, Kes worked his ass off game in and game out for years and as a result was one of the top two-way forwards of the 2000's-2010's era. 

I'd take a Kesler over a Miller every day of the week, even if he's not producing every game he's making valuable contributions in other ways. 

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if Bo will reconsider and re-sign with VAN, after real practices with structure, real effort to get better.

Basically between Kuzmenko and Horvat. Which one do they re-sign? I thought for sure it would be Kuz, but maybe not. 

I think in the end Bo will opt to move on, and I think he'll get more than this management group is prepared to pay him. This is the fourth coach Bo's seen as a Canuck, I don't think the results will be all that different for the remainder of the season and I think he's probably tired of losing. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1