The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just going to throw this out there....

I don't really think this year's team is all that different from the team that finished last season under Boudreau. They were a nightly adventure defensively back then as well.

The difference is that Demko was bailing his team out on a regular basis. This year he wasn't the same and Martin / Delia although they've filled in adequately, are not really bona fide starters.

Maybe Tocchet can get these playing as a cohesive defensive unit, but I believe keeping the puck out of the net is going to be an uphill battle.

Agreed in general. On paper though, the difference in the bottom six is pretty drastic. 5/6 are new I think

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

So Frank Seravalli claims  (on crystal clear authority, no less)  JR & PA wanted to fire Bruce months ago but couldn’t get approval from FA. That’s an issue all by itself but aside from that the team needs to find out where all the leaks come from in this organization.

Not a surprise - and Boudreau apparently kind of laughed when an interviewer insinuated he and Rutherford were friends.  

The biggest sham was that they even brought Bruce back.

It would have been a tough pill to swallow after the “Bruce Bump” but you’d figure a multiple- cup president would be a bit more decisive instead of just being awkwardly unsupportive. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I don't think Tocchet will be this stupid. At least I hope not. Even though he's an intense guy. 

TortsReamsOutEdler.gif

Yelling at people doesn't always produce the best results. There's always a time and place for it. Torts is not doing well in Philly - again. I think he's a good coach, but he may be better sticking with the young kids, so that they can develop better habits. He also won't be losing his mind like this.

20 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

So Frank Seravalli claims  (on crystal clear authority, no less)  JR & PA wanted to fire Bruce months ago but couldn’t get approval from FA. That’s an issue all by itself but aside from that the team needs to find out where all the leaks come from in this organization.

Do-we-though GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

12 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Wtf. I thought there was a game tonight. 

On the upside, we're not winning against the Hawks?

On the downside, we're not losing against the Hawks?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

They were discussing this on 650 on my drive home from work.

That they wanted it done way back in October. Also that FA is more involved than any other owner...that most don't go with their President to interview potential coaches. They let their team do their work then just maybe have a brief intro meeting as they're brought in.

I have mixed feelings about this...on the one hand, FA hired Bruce and I kind of like that he wanted to give him a chance/keep him around longer. It's his team and the fact that he wants to be involved is ok by me. On the other hand, you have to trust in your employees to do their jobs without having to be so involved.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Yelling at people doesn't always produce the best results. There's always a time and place for it. Torts is not doing well in Philly - again. I think he's a good coach, but he may be better sticking with the young kids, so that they can develop better habits. He also won't be losing his mind like this.

Hes just a weirdo. 

Ppl give him too much credit. 

That Tampa team was stacked.  Prime richards, vinny, marty. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

That they wanted it done way back in October. Also that FA is more involved than any other owner...that most don't go with their President to interview potential coaches. They let their team do their work then just maybe have a brief intro as they're brought in.

I have mixed feelings about this...on the one hand, FA hired Bruce and I kind of like that he wanted to give him a chance/keep him around longer. On the other hand, you have to trust in your team to do their jobs without having to be so involved.

Smothering narcissists can't help themselves.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Imagine Rutherford was granted a hastily coaching change by ownership. Tocchet would have been desperately trying to salvage the season right out of the gate. It would have been even worse for them. Now they have a 1/2 season to work with and try and correct their abysmal off season roster moves

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

That they wanted it done way back in October. Also that FA is more involved than any other owner...that most don't go with their President to interview potential coaches. They let their team do their work then just maybe have a brief intro meeting as they're brought in.

I have mixed feelings about this...on the one hand, FA hired Bruce and I kind of like that he wanted to give him a chance/keep him around longer. It's his team and the fact that he wants to be involved is ok by me. On the other hand, you have to trust in your employees to do their jobs without having to be so involved.

It could be that Francisco likes flying around in his private jet playing the rich hotshot. He flew Mike Gillis to Loungos house in Florida after the Schnieder trade. He made an 8 hour flight to Raleigh to interview Rutherford and flew him to Vancouver. Then he flew to Vegas to visit Tocchet I wonder if anyone tracks his private jet. 

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Isn’t there also the paying 3 coaches salary issue? That would validate an ownership veto.  It does provide context to JR’s commentary.  I’m so over our ownership - miss the days when who owned the team had no impact on being a fan…

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

God/Hockey Gods Help Us.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is still really early in their time here and way too early to call him as useless as Millbury. That's obviously going to be put to the test very soon.

And yes, it's easy to see the role the media played in blowing this up, so he's not completely wrong ... albeit our PoHo was also complicit in handing the media the very thing to speculate about. 

Again, though, it's early ... management can still leverage "more voices, the better", diverse voices, inclusion and openness to team building, ideas/solutions. That's how it's different. Right now it's not so isolating. It's open. This is just beginning whereas Benning was increasingly isolated at the end from fear and insecurity. 

It is indeed the opposite but still in the early stages. Whether that eventually leads to gridlock and paralysis, insecurity, fear hasn't played out yet. It could very well lead to a healthy office and management even though we can't see it now.

And now that they have their own guy behind the bench, this is all theirs now. The uncomfortable changes are just starting to happen. 

In saying all that, I'm not defending management because I agree with everything they've done. I do welcome the change even if it's not so nice or safe. We've been doing the same thing for years, so I'm open to seeing what the A-holes can do. They sure do have a lot of Cups in their pedigree. Maybe there's something to that. 

I have been very against some of the moves these guys have made but yes this is the beginning of them actually making change that is all theirs. We'll see what happens in the next month and a half.

10 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes just a weirdo. 

Ppl give him too much credit. 

That Tampa team was stacked.  Prime richards, vinny, marty. 

Yeah, he's quite overrated. He's more relevant for the personality aspect more than anything else, even if he has the most wins as an American coach.

Rutherford claims he wasn’t aware of Boudreau’s second year option ?  Then reports of tochett serving out 4 weeks notice to TNT , all the while during the same time frame he’s gone public about Replacing BB.  did he not know about tochetts notice to TNT? In both situations he’s not preemptive at all. But acts , talks reacts off of assumptions. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Imagine Rutherford was granted a hastily coaching change by ownership. Tocchet would have been desperately trying to salvage the season right out of the gate. It would have been even worse for them. Now they have a 1/2 season to work with and try and correct their abysmal off season roster moves

Aquilini just needed to stand pat and let the season fall. The team is sixth last in the entire league. No coaching change is going to fix that.

• Like 1