The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zegras said what to Troy Stecher? Does trash-talking in this sport cross the line?

Rate this topic

I miss that passion Stech brought to every single game here.  Its too bad he wasn't just a little taller. He was a much better defender than Myers, but size is rewarded more than tenacity in the NHL.  With Hughes and Bear added, our quota of smallish D is about capped here now, but we lost a big part our "culture" or whatever you want to call it, when Troy left. (With Tanev and Marky at the same time was killer)

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not gonna defend him cause he likely said something pretty low but he was probably pointing up to the scoreboard…

I find pointing at the scoreboard really hard to believe.  Both teams are tanking, it was either 1-0 or 1-1 at the time and it's not like anything else of personal consequence happened.  Stecher's also a 1-year signing by the Coyotes so I doubt he's all that invested in the team.  If it was about the team and not about Stech then wouldn't the Coyotes as a team have reacted?  Instead pretty obviously Zegras got a 10-minute misconduct and Stech was pissed at him.  

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I find pointing at the scoreboard really hard to believe.  Both teams are tanking, it was either 1-0 or 1-1 at the time and it's not like anything else of personal consequence happened.  Stecher's also a 1-year signing by the Coyotes so I doubt he's all that invested in the team.  If it was about the team and not about Stech then wouldn't the Coyotes as a team have reacted?  Instead pretty obviously Zegras got a 10-minute misconduct and Stech was pissed at him.  

I’m saying what he said and where he was pointing could have been completely unrelated.

Fans are really reaching assuming to know it was about his dad.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I’m saying what he said and where he was pointing could have been completely unrelated.

It's also possible he was making a comment about his family watching on TV or something and point up at the cameras, having no idea that Tony Stretcher had lost his Dad in recent years? Anyway you cut it, it was a bad look.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:13 PM, Master Mind said:

I hope the league doesn't take any action here.

It'd be better for Stecher to lay him out next time they meet.

Exactly. Let it play out on the ice. Zegras should, if he insulted Stecher's late father, eat those words and some of his teeth. That being said, Zegras isn't the type of player who'd take his lumps and will probably do his best to avoid it. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

On 1/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, DeNiro said:

Everyone, including media in anaheim admitted it was way Over the line.  Dont think pointing at scorecard constitutes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 4:04 AM, King Heffy said:

Then why is Matthew Tkachuk still in the league?  At least Bertuzzi made sure Moore never gave another cheapshot after he gave him what he had coming.

Bet you barely a day goes by, where Bertuzzi doesn't regret it though...

Still hope Troy takes out all his teeth next time they meet...