The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zegras said what to Troy Stecher? Does trash-talking in this sport cross the line?

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I hope the league doesn't take any action here.

It'd be better for Stecher to lay him out next time they meet.

I think if what he said is true, combined with his style. The vets around the NHL will tune him in. 

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, Zegras going from wunderkind to Brad Marchand... I mean making fun of the opponent or doing the Kesler "tell Kelly I said hi" could be construed as funny but this is over the line, no matter how you slice it really.  It's basically salting an emotional wound that's never going to really heal, and a low blow by a talent like that on just a run of the mill scrum.  Pretty much unwarranted and a bad look for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Nothing's been confirmed, but if this is true I think NHL should look into this for more repercussions

This is something that should be resolved on the ice. I think April 8th is when they next meet. I suspect Zegras will be away for that game for whatever reason though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

I hope the league doesn't take any action here.

Agreed, Justice served on the ice would be far better than anything the NHL would hand out.

34 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

In the heat of the moment stuff like this happens all the time…..

Does it though,  there are literally dozens of scrums every game and you don't often hear about guys 'crossing the line'.  There's definitely a  code that's followed, and either this punk was never taught it or doesn't care about it until the time comes that someone on the ice makes him care about it.

54 minutes ago, jyu said:

F*ck Zegras or Zebrat or whatever the f*ck his name is.

I'm glad we didn't draft that piece of $hit.

Been posting for a long time that Zegras is a selfish “look at me go mommy” player, and no team will be a winner with him as a key piece.  He’s a punk.  He will definitely get his, just like his buddy got handed his by Beagle last season.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Punk coach too.

Punk coach leads to punk players I guess.

A team that enables the selfish punk “look at me go mommy” players is looking for losing. I like that young Canadian guy.  Is it McTavish?  Big, mean, tough, skilled, and plays the right way. As he gains experience his leadership will come out.  And he will face punch Zegras in the locker room. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

There has been speculation going on around a scrum that ensued last night between the ducks and the coyotes.

You could see Stecher all of a sudden get infuriated after Zegras says something to him. 

Going back to even his college days and his time here in Vancouver, I don't think I've ever seen Stecher react this way and get so visibly angry at a player, trying to take his head off.

Lots of people are speculating that Zegras said something about Stecher's late father who passed away in 2020. 

He points at the sky and if you read lips, you could sort of see that he says something along the lines of "your dad is watching".

Nothing's been confirmed, but if this is true I think NHL should look into this for more repercussions. 

Absolutely unacceptable and quite despicable to be honest. 

Again, nothing is confirmed as to this specific incident but there are large suspicions and for good reason.

Make me wonder though, does trash-talk cross the line a lot of the time in hockey?

In past instances, we've heard of players poke fun at a player's past domestic issues or issues related to substance abuse, but apparently family (family deaths) is on the table too? 

Ironic coming from a league who act like they celebrate inclusion such as pride night and promote mental health initiatives to have players literally mocking eachother's dead family members on the ice.

I hope the league takes a look at this and re-evaluate repercussions for what's also being said out on the ice because this is pretty shameful and ridiculous. 

zegras is ripe for a fall to earth, imo

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed, Justice served on the ice would be far better than anything the NHL would hand out.

Does it though,  there are literally dozens of scrums every game and you don't often hear about guys 'crossing the line'.  There's definitely a  code that's followed, and either this punk was never taught it or doesn't care about it until the time comes that someone on the ice makes him care about it.

as much as I hate to say it, the league has been far more effective in policing the game than enforcers ever were.

• Haha 1