The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Kesler was playing with a torn groin and hip labrum suffered in game five against the Sharks, Edler played game seven with two broken fingers and Mikael Samuelsson injured his abductor tendon and sports hernia in game three against Nashville. Hamhuis tore his groin muscle in game one after hitting Milan Lucic, which left a big hole in the Canucks defence. Christian Ehroff had been playing with a hurt shoulder that he sustained in game three against San Jose, and had painkillers shot in his shoulder before every game as a result. Chris Higgins blocked a shot in game five against Nashville, forcing him to play with a broken foot for the remainder of the playoffs?

Yep when you get to the finals you can expect injuries. I am pretty sure the Bruins were pretty banged up as well, as was the 94' team. Still......i don't see a Sedin's name or Luongo's name om that list........hmmmm..............

Bure didn't need anyone to help him score goals and Linden didn't use injuries as an excuse.......hmmm.......................

Going to miss Bo. I have a shirt with his name on it -- thought he'd be part of the long term core.

The return is about what I expected, if not a little better. Beauvillier is for cap, but I prefer him over an aging player like Bailey coming back.

Raty is a decent prospect. The 1st should be better than what we would have received from any other team. 10 or so spots can make a big difference.

The defense wasn't addressed, but that was never going to be the case, at least in terms of immediate help. No team trying to win is going to send us a D. Hopefully we use one of our 1sts to fix that problem.

Decent return value-wise, but none of this would have happened if we just traded Miller last deadline like we should have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

We could turn Linden's injury into an excuse too on this board. A healthy Linden would have been a different story.

Maybe. But as I said earlier, the rest of the team was relatively healthy. Also, Linden's ribs didn't affect his skating.....

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

The 2011 series never had a lafeyette moment which at that moment made the whole series swing. 1 single moment. In that regard  the 94 team was closer than the 2011. But that’s just 1 moment. The nux were in all 7 games for 60 minutes each game. Whereas the same can’t be said for the 2011 group. 

Don't forget the Ronning moment - his wrist was fractured and couldn't lift the puck.    Those two goals would have won us the  cup.   And only 2 goals separated the series.  THN still says it's the best final in the modern era (since expansion).  

I'm sorry for those who watched both series.   One we weren't supposed to win - the other one we were supposed to win.    Boston wasn't NYR good either.  CAL was also better.   And it wasn't like Richter was chopped liver either.     93 Canucks were one of the best in the league and stiffer competition back then.    Let's be real.   There is a reason why Zubov at 37 scored 71 points after the lockout, and why the Sedins couldn't make a real go of it before the rule changes.   And why Sakic also scored over 100 at 37, and Alfie had his best season after 33.   And Lidstrom won all his Norris trophies.    Wonder what Bure would have done without a redline.    Linden almost done was better than the Sedins against Turco and almost done.   Or at least on par with his minutes and assignments.   Kesler was incredible.   And our D was fantastic.   But it's not like our 94 D was chopped liver either.    They beat one of the best teams ever assembled in CAL and almost beat another top team in NYR.   Two teams that crack the all-time best.   Boston doesn't crack the top 25.   

If all things being equal - I imagine the 2011 would have had their hands full against the 94 team.    And the longer the series went on the worse it would have been for them.     Gelinas would have been the 2011 teams 3rd best winger. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe. But as I said earlier, the rest of the team was relatively healthy. Also, Linden's ribs didn't affect his skating.....

Imagine getting hit/checked with broken ribs? Messier was all over Linden cross checking him and i bet he knew Linden was injured too. But Linden never quit and was still able to perform like a Warrior.

Just now, Jester13 said:

Pretty sure Mayson Raymond was out with a serious injury in '11?

Yep. Raymond and Hanhuis were both out. (and Rome was suspended for the final 4 games)

They haven't been mentioned much, because we've been focused on who was playing hurt.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Imagine getting hit/checked with broken ribs? Messier was all over Linden cross checking him and i bet he knew Linden was injured too. But Linden never quit and was still able to perform like a Warrior.

I don't have to imagine.....I've been there. One the freezing is done and the adrenaline kicks in, you don't notice it that much.

It's after the game (and sometimes between periods) that it's really noticeable...

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm agreeing with you on this. If the '11 team had any semblance of a healthy top 4 d, they would have won games in Boston. IMO, Hamhuis being injured early in the series was the difference. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't forget the Ronning moment - his wrist was fractured and couldn't lift the puck.    Those two goals would have won us the  cup.   And only 2 goals separated the series.  THN still says it's the best final in the modern era (since expansion).  

I'm sorry for those who watched both series.   One we weren't supposed to win - the other one we were supposed to win.    Boston wasn't NYR good either.  CAL was also better.   And it wasn't like Richter was chopped liver either.     93 Canucks were one of the best in the league and stiffer competition back then.    Let's be real.   There is a reason why Zubov at 37 scored 71 points after the lockout, and why the Sedins couldn't make a real go of it before the rule changes.   And why Sakic also scored over 100 at 37, and Alfie had his best season after 33.   And Lidstrom won all his Norris trophies.    Wonder what Bure would have done without a redline.    Linden almost done was better than the Sedins against Turco and almost done.   Or at least on par with his minutes and assignments.   Kesler was incredible.   And our D was fantastic.   But it's not like our 94 D was chopped liver either.    They beat one of the best teams ever assembled in CAL and almost beat another top team in NYR.   Two teams that crack the all-time best.   Boston doesn't crack the top 25.   

If all things being equal - I imagine the 2011 would have had their hands full against the 94 team.    And the longer the series went on the worse it would have been for them.     Gelinas would have been the 2011 teams 3rd best winger. 

Hack whack and smack... that line would have pulverized the 2011 team shift after shift.  Think the Bruins beat on the 2011 Canucks?  The 1994 team would have destroyed the Bruins physically.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

94 team was stacked defensively. In comparison it seemed they could slot in a spare if they had to ,whereas 2011 were decimated. And the argument is there. That winning teams stay healthy or at least healthier than the opponent. If comparison is to properly be made of the 2 teams ,both teams would have to be totally healthy. If comparison is made off the 2 teams as healthy as they were at the time they played then 94 hands down,   both heathy ?

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't have to imagine.....I've been there. One the freezing is done and the adrenaline kicks in, you don't notice it that much.

It's after the game (and sometimes between periods) that it's really noticeable...

I tried to play with cracked ribs, no freezing. I couldn't stand straight in between periods, and I paid for it for about a week. 

11 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Winning teams have to stay healthy or rather the healthiest team is more likely to win. A similar comparison would be if Lemieux stayed healthy he would have caught Gretzky. And that’s a strawman. Gretzky had as many points as he did because he did stay healthy. 

Gretzky considered retirement twice.  Once his shoulder and more seriously his back.    LA both times. 

3 minutes ago, chon derry said:

94 team was stacked defensively. In comparison it seemed they could slot in a spare if they had to ,whereas 2011 were decimated. And the argument is there. That winning teams stay healthy or at least healthier than the opponent. If comparison is to properly be made of the 2 teams ,both teams would have to be totally healthy. If comparison is made off the 2 teams as healthy as they were at the time they played then 94 hands down,   both heathy ?

Yes that's tough.   I view Maholtra and even more so no Willie Mitchell as the difference in the 2011 team.  Too bad we didn't re-sign him. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1