The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

Not to jump on the Hovat dump, especially considering I was defending him a couple pages back (and still believe a lot of the dumping is unnecessary), but it's notable that Miller has passed Horvat in points on the season. Didn't look like that was going to happen a couple months back. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not to jump on the Hovat dump, especially considering I was defending him a couple pages back (and still believe a lot of the dumping is unnecessary), but it's notable that Miller has passed Horvat in points on the season. Didn't look like that was going to happen a couple months back. 

Yes, it's great to seeing JT playing the way we've come to expect.  Imo, he still has to prove that he can be

consistent with his game and play an entire season at that level.  He's a huge part of our team and we need

him to play hard and relentlessly; never give up.  Be a team leader.

• Cheers 1

When I saw that NYI beat the Laffs 7-2, I thought for sure when I opened up the boxscore I'd see a big night from their new guy....

BoHo stat line: 0 G, 0A, 0 PTS, 0 PIM, 0 HITS, 50% FO, 22 Minutes TOI

Bo defenders: "He doesn't have to fight"........but in 22 min. TOI, could he at least throw ONE hit??? 

20GP - 5G - 4A - 9PTS ---- 8.5 x 8

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

3 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

When I saw that NYI beat the Laffs 7-2, I thought for sure when I opened up the boxscore I'd see a big night from their new guy....

Bo defenders: "He doesn't have to fight"........but in 22 min. TOI, could he at least throw ONE hit??? 

Some will say, "But, but, but, he's playing all the tough matchups!"

$8.5m per to play tough matchups and not produce points is insane. 

Allvin should win GM of the year with that trade alone.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Big time players don’t hit foo!

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Why did his production spike through contract negotiations, then fell off a cliff once he signed his deal? 

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Why did his production spike through contract negotiations, then fell off a cliff once he signed his deal? 

Yet Miller is still a Point per game player the year after signing to his money...less than Horvats....

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Yet Miller is still a Point per game player the year after signing to his money...less than Horvats....

Bo has 48 hits this year. 

Remember when Tocchet arrived and called our team soft? That was our leader, not sticking up for his teammates, not hitting.

Sorry, that is not a ‘heart and soul’ player.

176 lb. Petey has 57 hits. 
Miller has 158, and had 5 last night, lol.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Bo has 48 hits this year. 

Remember when Tocchet arrived and called our team soft? That was our leader, not sticking up for his teammates, not hitting.

Sorry, that is not a ‘heart and soul’ player.

176 lb. Petey has 57 hits. 
Miller has 158, and had 5 last night, lol.

Miller was in absolute beast mode last night.  Best player on the ice.  A superstar.  BO is a 2C on a good day, and maybe a 3C in NYI where he is averaging less than .5 PPG.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller was in absolute beast mode last night.  Best player on the ice.  A superstar.  BO is a 2C on a good day, and maybe a 3C in NYI where he is averaging less than .5 PPG.

He was awesome. And when he scored, he didn’t really celebrate or even break a smile. He’s unsatisfied if the team isn’t winning. That’s a team-first leader.

• There it is 2

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Some will say, "But, but, but, he's playing all the tough matchups!"

$8.5m per to play tough matchups and not produce points is insane. 

Allvin should win GM of the year with that trade alone.

Yup, 100%.

IMO, Allvin has done a bang up job (pun intended)

He's gotten great value on his acquisitions and dealings so far....I and several others stated it at the time, the BoHo trade is outright larceny lmao...Raty, Hronek, Beau, and a 4th is the final tally for us....for an often absent, non line/play driving, permissive player, who was a couple months away from UFA. If anyone followed along objectively, they could see the writing was on the wall before the season even started.

I think last summer his initial demands were 49 - 56M, PA told him to GTFO and locked up the real deal in Miller...and it's not far fetched to think that right there and then Bo's camp said "trade me/see ya at the TDL" (all we heard heading into the season and afterward were that negotiations "weren't happening")...

Bo was playing as a lame duck knowing the countdown to TDL was on...and JR/PA gave him every opportunity to succeed, knowing his value would increase...they played their hands very well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yup, 100%.

He's gotten great value on his acquisitions and dealings so far....I and several others stated it at the time, the BoHo trade is outright larceny lmao...Raty, Hronek, Beau, and a 4th is the final tally for us....for an often absent, non line/play driving, permissive player, who was a couple months away from UFA. If anyone followed along objectively, they could see the writing was on the wall before the season even started.

I think last summer his initial demands were 49 - 56M, PA told him to GTFO and locked up the real deal in Miller...and it's not far fetched to think that right there and then Bo's camp said "trade me/see ya at the TDL" (all we heard heading into the season and afterward were that negotiations "weren't happening")...

Bo was playing as a lame duck knowing the countdown to TDL was on...and JR/PA gave him every opportunity to succeed, knowing his value would increase...they played their hands very well.

The timeline fits.

It also explains playing less physically (he has half the hits he did in 21/22 in the same number of games).

He knew he wasn’t sticking around, so he stopped investing in the team, and focused on his next contract. That included watching opponents cheap shot his teammates, which is inexcusable.

Not trying to shit on Bo. He was a good Captain through some tough years. Class act, good in the community, excellent on draws, clutch in OT, good in the playoffs, and a great 2C. Before this season, I could see him as ‘heart and soul.’

It seems like he gave up on the team when he didn’t get paid like a 1C, and that (unfortunately) impacts how he will be remembered as a Canuck.

Feel bad for the die hard Bo fans who are still sticking up for a player that stopped sticking up for his team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I wasn’t a big fan of Bo to begin with, but he totally lost my respect when he watched Garland get sucker punched by Sergachev in front of him and had no reaction. 

He commented later that he regretted doing nothing, because he was sure it would be a penalty, given it was probably the hardest punch he’s seen thrown after a whistle.

Why would that stop him from getting in Sergachev’s face, and giving him a shove? :blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yup, 100%.

What I find interesting is that under Tocchet, Miller and Petey have much better point stats than playing under Boudreau, even though Tocchet has a structured defensive system going on.  Since the arrival of Tocchet, Petey is on a 120-point pace and Miller is on a 100-point pace.  Miller was on a 74-point pace under Boudreau.

However, it is the exact opposite with Horvat.  Under Boudreau he was on a 60 goal and 90-point pace.  With the Islanders he's on a 20 goal and 37-point pace.  The Islanders also play a very structured defensive system.  I can only conclude that based on these numbers the player who benefited the most from Boudreau's open, run and gun cheating offensive style of play was Horvat.  Was this by design to pad his stats?  It certainly seems that way.  Bo had his best offensive numbers under Boudreau, even going back to 2021.  

I think the trade worked out great for everyone involved...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What I find interesting is that under Tocchet, Miller and Petey have much better point stats than playing under Boudreau, even though Tocchet has a structured defensive system going on.  Since the arrival of Tocchet, Petey is on a 120-point pace and Miller is on a 100-point pace.  Miller was on a 74-point pace under Boudreau.

However, it is the exact opposite with Horvat.  Under Boudreau he was on a 60 goal and 90-point pace.  With the Islanders he's on a 20 goal and 37-point pace.  The Islanders also play a very structured defensive system.  I can only conclude that based on these numbers the player who benefited the most from Boudreau's open, run and gun cheating offensive style of play was Horvat.  Was this by design to pad his stats?  It certainly seems that way.  Bo had his best offensive numbers under Boudreau, even going back to 2021.  

I think the trade worked out great for everyone involved...

Yeah, the defensive structure hasn’t slowed our offence too much.

If they kept Boudreau long enough to pad Horvat’s stats to optimize the trade return, then that’s some 4D chess. Timing fits…

The trade worked out very well. Bo got paid, we got a solid return, and used it to address our 2 biggest positional needs C and RD. 

We also kept the right 2C - PPG, 157 hits, and sticks up for his team. 

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you implying that the management kept Boudreau on as coach so that Bo would pad his stats?  That seems

a bit irrational to me. The reports were, that Bo worked very hard over the offseason on his shot, so it's logical that

his offence improved this season.

Bo had great chemistry with Barzal and they were putting up a lot of points until Barzal was injured.  As you have

stated, NYI plays a structured defensive game, but they also have very few offensively gifted players (other

that Lee and Nelson).  Hopefully he figures out his role in the PP, as he could really help his team out there.

Anyways, I'll bet he's thrilled to finally be heading towards the playoffs, which was a rare experience in his 9yrs

as a Canuck.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

He's gotten great value on his acquisitions and dealings so far....I and several others stated it at the time, the BoHo trade is outright larceny lmao...Raty, Hronek, Beau, and a 4th is the final tally for us....for an often absent, non line/play driving, permissive player, who was a couple months away from UFA.

You overlooked a very valuable 2nd round pick in the #40ish range... that being said I'm still happy with the return.

45 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You overlooked a very valuable 2nd round pick in the #40ish range... that being said I'm still happy with the return.

Beauvillier could easily be flipped for a 2nd at next year's deadline, so the picks are a wash, and we also got a 4th round pick in the deal as well.  So, you are looking at Hronek and Raty for BO.  As @Kenny Powers already mentioned we addressed our 2 biggest needs by getting a 3C in Raty and a top 4 RHD in Hronek.  And we already have a 2C on the team in Miller, so BO's position was already covered.  People disagree with me but I am always of the opinion that we were not going to keep both Horvat and Miller.  It didn't make any sense because they really didn't have any chemistry together and you can't pay Horvat $708 million to be a 3C...

• Upvote 1