The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

So Bo supposed to turn down that offer? not sure what the issue is? :lol:

Did I say anything about Horvat needing to turn down the offer? no.

I have congratulated him on his 8.5 & 8 years of security, I'm quite happy it's not with Vancouver.

Horvat is not worth 8.5, the cap space opened up by not signing him and trading him for Beauvillier/Hronek(sorta) has made the team better and more balanced. also not locked into another long term contract for a so-so point producer.

If Horvat really wanted to be a lifelong canuck, he would have accepted less then market value.(see the better player in Miller for example)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I have congratulated him on his 8.5 & 8 years of security, I'm quite happy it's not with Vancouver.

Horvat is not worth 8.5, the cap space opened up by not signing him and trading him for Beauvillier/Hronek(sorta) has made the team better and more balanced. also not locked into another long term contract for a so-so point producer.

If Horvat really wanted to be a lifelong canuck, he would have accepted less then market value.(see the better player in Miller for example)

I mean I can cherry pick deals too Huberdeau @10.5 Mill :picard: Calgary would beg for Bo @ 8.5, I can tell you that for free.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I mean I can cherry pick deals too Huberdeau @10.5 Mill :picard: Calgary would beg for Bo @ 8.5, I can tell you that for free.

nice deflection, Huberdeau has nothing to do with Horvat or the Canucks.

HORVAT IS SIGNED FOR THE SAME AAV AS DRAISAITLZ FOR ALMOST HALF THE POINTS :picard::emot-parrot::picard:

I too can make silly and inaccurate comparisons that have nothing to do with Horvat or the Canucks. :bigblush:

9 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

With the NYI terrible loss to WSH yesterday

I don't believe NYI control their playoff spot anymore

They don't.  They can win their last game and still miss the playoffs.  Pittsburgh and Florida can both surpass NYI even if they win their last game...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They don't.  They can win their last game and still miss the playoffs.  Pittsburgh and Florida can both surpass NYI even if they win their last game...

Are you charging anything for this information?

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2023 at 10:24 PM, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I have no problem with the comments...kinda funny. The funnier part is that the Canucks didn't even sniff the playoffs (bubble doesn't count) with Bo as Captain so he ripped himself really 

Why does the " bubble " not count ? was a legitimate NHL season with a Stanley Cup winner recorded. I know it doesn't fit the narrative but the Canucks were in the Playoffs that season and surprised some teams. Horvat was 4th in the entire Playoffs in goals scored and was a clutch scorer that season, that counts. 

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Beau and Hronek are more expensive this year and Hronek is looking for Horvat money, so more cap in the short and long run. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Beau and Hronek are more expensive this year and Hronek is looking for Horvat money, so more cap in the short and long run. 

If Beau wants 5m plus, he's sent packing.

Yes, for the roughly 33 games after the trade.

Hronek/ Horvat are not directly comparable as one is a C/W and the other is a RHD dman who is a much more sought after and more valuable commodity.

Horvats 8.5 kicks in next season, Beauvillier and Hronek still make a combined 8.550 next season.

Let's get something straight.  Bo Horvat went into negotiations on his contract expecting to be paid like a PPG 1C because he felt that's what he is.

Bo Horvat and his agent walked in likely asking for $9M... maybe more, and worked his way down.  Horvat and agent simply would have said, "Pay me top dollars, or I'm a UFA".  And that's that.  It's tying Lou's hands as far as I can tell unless you think Lou would have swallowed his ego and tried to flip Horvat after all that.

You guys surely can't be thinking that Lou walked in and said, "Here you go!  Here's $8.5M for 8 years!" 

We know he didn't do that because he said it was too much and for too long.  Horvat and agent set the bar for themselves, and it was Lou that found out the hard way after acquiring him (if the truth was that JR/PA didn't allow any teams to discuss contract beforehand).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Let's get something straight.  Bo Horvat went into negotiations on his contract expecting to be paid like a PPG 1C because he felt that's what he is.

Bo Horvat and his agent walked in likely asking for $9M... maybe more, and worked his way down.  Horvat and agent simply would have said, "Pay me top dollars, or I'm a UFA".  And that's that.  It's tying Lou's hands as far as I can tell unless you think Lou would have swallowed his ego and tried to flip Horvat after all that.

You guys surely can't be thinking that Lou walked in and said, "Here you go!  Here's $8.5M for 8 years!" 

We know he didn't do that because he said it was too much and for too long.  Horvat and agent set the bar for themselves, and it was Lou that found out the hard way after acquiring him (if the truth was that JR/PA didn't allow any teams to discuss contract beforehand).

… and Lou didn’t HAVE to sign Bo until Bo proved himself to be that.

Lou did it to save face..  

perhaps we all need to send Lou a Thank You StripperGram !!   ;) 

.. or at least chant —

- “ THANK U LOO-U” - “THANK YOU LOO-U” 

when Horvat returns to Rogers Place :)  

sexy las vegas GIF by ChippendalesLas Vegas Comedy GIF by Spiegelworld

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The too much too long was Lamoriello joking with reporters - it didn't sound serious.  Lamoriello never discloses contract details so when reporters asked he answered too much / too long and they literally all shared a laugh (the clip is on their twitter account).  Lamoriello is also known to be one of the GMs that has been advocating to put a shorter limit on contracts but the NHLPA is categorically against.  

All the main insiders commented that they doubt Lamoriello would have pulled the trigger on the trade unless he had confirmation he could get Horvat under contract.  The range of the ask was known.  Seravalli even reported that a team was willing to give him 9M.    

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

I think the difference with Horvat and someone like Kesler saying something like that is that this is very out of character for Bo.

If it was Kesler I would just shake my head and say yep that sounds like Kesler. He likes being the bad guy.

For Horvat it’s him going out of his way and going against his character to say something like that. Kinda strange that he would make it personal but hey maybe he’s still not over the trade? Either way it just catches your attention more when someone like him, especially a former captain says it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, mll said:

The too much too long was Lamoriello joking with reporters - it didn't sound serious.  Lamoriello never discloses contract details so when reporters asked he answered too much / too long and they literally all shared a laugh (the clip is on their twitter account).  Lamoriello is also known to be one of the GMs that has been advocating to put a shorter limit on contracts but the NHLPA is categorically against.  

All the main insiders commented that they doubt Lamoriello would have pulled the trigger on the trade unless he had confirmation he could get Horvat under contract.  The range of the ask was known.  Seravalli even reported that a team was willing to give him 9M.    

That's nice, but I still highly, highly doubt Lou walked in and threw down $68M on the table right off the bat.

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think the difference with Horvat and someone like Kesler saying something like that is that this is very out of character for Bo.

If it was Kesler I would just shake my head and say yep that sounds like Kesler. He likes being the bad guy.

For Horvat it’s him going out of his way and going against his character to say something like that. Kinda strange that he would make it personal but hey maybe he’s still not over the trade? Either way it just catches your attention more when someone like him, especially a former captain says it.

Sounds like sour grapes from Bo.  That VAN didn’t pay him to keep him.  Still think he would have re-signed for $7M during the summer.  Oh well.

complaining season 3 GIF

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah

If Lou had his hands tied and offered a beer leaguer like me 8.5m, I dont care that I dont deserve it or will never live up to expectations. I'm running to go sign that contract.

You guys can boo me all you want.  I'll dry my tears with crisp new $100 bills.

Same for anyone here.  If you know your employer would give you a massive raise, why wouldn't you ask for one?

You gon' get pink eye!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

nice deflection, Huberdeau has nothing to do with Horvat or the Canucks.

HORVAT IS SIGNED FOR THE SAME AAV AS DRAISAITLZ FOR ALMOST HALF THE POINTS :picard::emot-parrot::picard:

I too can make silly and inaccurate comparisons that have nothing to do with Horvat or the Canucks. :bigblush:

Well you compared RFA deals to a UFA deal, those aren't apples to apples.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's nice, but I still highly, highly doubt Lou walked in and threw down $68M on the table right off the bat.

He likely tried for less but doubt he got blindsided by the ask.   They have him as their C1 and were likely prepared to pay him C1 money.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He likely tried for less but doubt he got blindsided by the ask.   They have him as their C1 and were likely prepared to pay him C1 money.  

That wasn't the point.  The point was that Bo went in asking for PPG 1C money.  Lou didn't come into the conversation throwing down $68m over 8 years.  He surely came in much lower.  Joke or not, there is surely some truth to the too much and too long comment otherwise he wouldn't have said it.  

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Why does the " bubble " not count ? was a legitimate NHL season with a Stanley Cup winner recorded. I know it doesn't fit the narrative but the Canucks were in the Playoffs that season and surprised some teams. Horvat was 4th in the entire Playoffs in goals scored and was a clutch scorer that season, that counts. 

Yep, the it doesn't count narrative is beyond stupid. It was the most level playing field playoffs ever played since no travel was involved.