The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Hockey in Aus

Rate this topic

Ilunga

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It will likely feature the Kings since they have one of like two Australians in the league (Jordan Spence)

I guess they need a Pacific division rival and the Canucks haven’t been overseas in awhile.

What they really should do is hold a game in Spence's hometown of Osaka and help grow the game in Japan.  He is the Rui Hachimura of ice hockey - the only difference being that nobody knows who Spence is.

Explain why the NHL would send Vancouver and not St. Louis, which actually has an Aussie playing for them?

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What they really should do is hold a game in Spence's hometown of Osaka and help grow the game in Japan.  He is the Rui Hachimura of ice hockey - the only difference being that nobody knows who Spence is.

Explain why the NHL would send Vancouver and not St. Louis, which actually has an Aussie playing for them?

Why not Both ?

Because so many Aussies go to your country, and BC in particular to ski/snowboard and find out about the greatest team sport ever. 

So many Canuck and just pure ice hockey fans here in Aus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Born in Australia.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Why not Both ?

Because so many Aussies go to your country, and BC in particular to ski/snowboard and find out about the greatest team sport ever. 

So many Canuck and just pure ice hockey fans here in Aus.

Funny enough, I think there's a solid chunk of Vancouver folk who become expats in Australia for similar reasons.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Born in Australia.

That doesn't mean much, though.  Nathan Walker was born in Cardiff.  Does that make him Welsh?  I think where someone grew up in is way more important.  Walker is a true product of Australian hockey.  Jordan Spence... is actually a product of Hockey Canada, and he represents us proudly.  But he still grew up in Osaka, and I'm sure he'd love to play in front of his old friends/family.

• Huggy Bear 1

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

F' Yeah! 

I'll have to keep from moving back to the West Coast (Perth / Bali ) for an extra cpl months! :towel:

Brother you have become a " true" person, a Victorian.

Go back to being a sand groper.....really....? 

Seriously we need more people like you here.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

LOL, I have lived in more places than u have slept in station wagons at ski hills.  (which is sayin something!)

It's too f'n cold here in Melbourne? I have to admit, the people are great!

For those who would never know, D, a brother from CDC, came to my families house for Christmas a few weeks after we moved here. Make our lives welcome! And we shared a punk rock festival wi my 18 year old daughter 2 months ago.  Living life is everything, and people like you make it, even when its not perfect! You need to know that!

We deserve a Canucks game here in Melbourne! 

PS; I sent u a massive trade offer in our hockey pool...  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

LOL... sand groper... glad to see that everywhere people live, they are proud of where they live

• Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

LOL... sand groper... glad to see that everywhere people live, they are proud of where they live

I was just taking the piss mate.

Sand groper is a colloquial term for a person who lives in Western Australia. 

Dunno if I am proud of my species however I am a human being who lives on the third planet from the sun in the Heliocentric System with 8 billion other human beings.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

Cool, a buddy of mine just played his first season in the AIHL for the Melbourne Mustangs and apparently the league is a blast to play in. was 2 points per game as a D man, so take that for what it's worth lol. A country that would probably love some NHL exposure to help grow the game. 

World Juniors 2030. Team Australia?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It will likely feature the Kings since they have one of like two Australians in the league (Jordan Spence)

I guess they need a Pacific division rival and the Canucks haven’t been overseas in awhile.

Kings vs Canucks would be a pacific division game on the other side of the Pacific. Very symmetrical.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Cool, a buddy of mine just played his first season in the AIHL for the Melbourne Mustangs and apparently the league is a blast to play in. was 2 points per game as a D man, so take that for what it's worth lol. A country that would probably love some NHL exposure to help grow the game. 

World Juniors 2030. Team Australia?

An Australian division of the NHL would open up a bunch of untapped good team names.  Crocodiles, Dingos, Cassowaries and Kangaroos are all better than the Wild and the Kraken and some of the other nonsense.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

An Australian division of the NHL would open up a bunch of untapped good team names.  Crocodiles, Dingos, Cassowaries and Kangaroos are all better than the Wild and the Kraken and some of the other nonsense.

Some good ODR jersey potential there. Great point! haha

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well I learned a new term from reading this forum.

Bring on the Perth Sand Gropers!!!! 

Or is that term meant to be derogatory?

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1