The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It’s amazing how some fans will trade young star players for magic beans and fairy tales.

If that package was all the Canucks were asking the Devils do that deal in a second and laugh all the way.

Magic beans?  Both Nemec and Mercer are already putting up excellent numbers.  

23 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

This guy still exists? I thought it was agreed upon he’s not a legit source on here? 

He's only feeding off of the poll on Sportsnet, the other night, who proposed this, based on

an idea from someone "scouting" CDC. 

The initial idea began here.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

Magic beans?  Both Nemec and Mercer are already putting up excellent numbers.  

And Hughes is doing what?

Oh right, 6th in the league in scoring among D men (ahead of Makar).

But yes let’s dump his ass for “could”.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I was doing backflips when we drafted Hughes. Nothing has changed.

The key word is could. We’re not in a position to be trading legit stars for could. Any prospect can be better than any player, doesn’t mean the odds are great.

Again, I like Hughes, but he's pretty one dimensional and if you can add multiple top end pieces for him, that's a huge win.

In the end Hughes plays average defense, has a shot that really is barely NHL level, doesn't score and gets outmuscled by most players in the league.  Losing him might be a hot on offense (though between mercer and nemec it's probably a net increase in the end) and you free up money to add better dmen to improve defense.

You can't discount cap space

Just now, stawns said:

Again, I like Hughes, but he's pretty one dimensional and if you can add multiple top end pieces for him, that's a huge win.

In the end Hughes plays average defense, has a shot that really is barely NHL level, doesn't score and gets outmuscled by most players in the league.  Losing him might be a hot on offense (though between mercer and nemec it's probably a net increase in the end) and you free up money to add better dmen to improve defense.

Would much rather just shore up the Right side with Livingstone and FA moves moving Myers and Boeser/Garland for cap space and keep Quinn 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

So why are you in this thread then?

You're right, I'm gonna leave.  Not really a good use of my time trying to convince people that trading our greatest defenceman ever for a guy who is in the AHL and never played a game yet in the NHL plus a supposed 3C who doesn't actually play as a 3C is a bad idea...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You're right, I'm gonna leave.  Not really a good use of my time trying to convince people that trading our greatest defenceman ever for a guy who is in the AHL and never played a game yet in the NHL plus a supposed 3C who doesn't actually play as a 3C is a bad idea...

Animated GIF

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Hughes is signed to a bargain deal and is only 23. Do you not think he’ll get better?

Also Nemec may very well struggle with those things AND not put up nearly as many points.

We’re not getting better with those moves. All we need to do is find a young solid stay at home guy for Hughes. Starting all over, especially on an unproven player, is not a great strategy.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Quinn had 53 points in 68 games in the NHL as a 20-year-old.  So, what is your point exaclty?  Quinn is the franchise player right now, not Nemec...

Never said Quinn is not a star ? 

Just explaining offer NJ Devils would be giving up is a game changer? 

Adding Nemec 18 - Future #1 D ma - Mercer 21 - future top 6 forward and 1st rounder 2023 

along with prospect would make Vancouver a better team?

Subtract Hughes ?

Add 5 players?'

Are you not a stronger team? Come on ?????????? Way more depth is this not what we are talking about????

Make the team stronger..Experts would all say yes..

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes is signed to a bargain deal and is only 23. Do you not think he’ll get better?

Also Nemec may very well struggle with those things AND not put up nearly as many points.

We’re not getting better with those moves. All we need to do is find a young solid stay at home guy for Hughes. Starting all over, especially on an unproven player, is not a great strategy.

Sorry, I don't see that as a bargain deal for him.  I don't see him as the damn you do.  He's a great skater, great passer, good puck handler, but his game has big holes in it too.  I, personally, to wouldn't have given him that deal.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1