The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

Just now, higgyfan said:

The triple Hughes bros show would be a huge attraction (and $ maker for the owner), but what they really need

is a RW like Timo Meier. The way he plays the game, along with his veteran leadership, Timo adds way more value

to the team than Quinn.  That is why Meier (26yrs) is likely the most sought after TDL addition this year.

Jersey is sitting in the perfect place to make this trade as they have the assets and the $.  They have 8 players

that are approaching UFA (+20m), who they can trade at TDL, re-sign, or simply let them walk.  The most

ridiculous part of it all, is that they still have a well-rounded group of players in their prospect pool.:shock:

Yup they need Meier and a Muzzin type much much much more than Quinn. They struggled to close the Canucks out. 

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

untouchable  .. that's its..  don't give a damn about what the stupid Islanders do or don't need  ...   its a non starter ..   noone you get back would be equal , and quantity for quality is a garbage .      this sounds like the idiots in my fantasy league when they try and offer trades ..   amateur sh!t

Edited by THERETOOL
  • Cheers 1

Yay that's not gonna happen, that's just click bait. Honestly that offer is weak for Quinn..

If NJ really wants him then this team needs to make it a blockbuster and squeeze NJ for all their worth ie:

Hughes, Boeser, Schenn for

Bratt, Severson (re-signed) Holtz/Mercer, Nemec, Mukhamadullin, Foote, Malek and a pick(s) . 

Not gonna happen 

2 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Boeser-Trade-coming-in-days-NJ-and-Q-Hughes-e3-Tues-Buzz/1/120545

This is more for the discussion than the source. As a big time Devils fan (who appreciates the Sedin), I'd be willing to give Nemec, Mercer and a first. I think that's fair for both sides.

thoughts?

I would make this deal in a heart beat, three first rounder..

Mercer 18th O/A -21- W top 6 forward in near future -- Nemec 19 - RD future top D man  #2 O/A 2022 -- 1st rounder 2023 

Really sets Vancouver up for future..

Just now, wildcam said:

I would make this deal in a heart beat, three first rounder..

Mercer 18th O/A -21- W top 6 forward in near future -- Nemec 19 - RD future top D man  #2 O/A 2022 -- 1st rounder 2023 

Really sets Vancouver up for future..

then Im thrilled you're not the G.M      

• Cheers 1

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Boeser-Trade-coming-in-days-NJ-and-Q-Hughes-e3-Tues-Buzz/1/120545

This is more for the discussion than the source. As a big time Devils fan (who appreciates the Sedin), I'd be willing to give Nemec, Mercer and a first. I think that's fair for both sides.

thoughts?

OK. If you insist. But can you include Luke Hughes instead of your first?

I'll do Nemec and Luke Hughes for Quinn Hughes.

• Wat 1

Can someone in Van media please start a rumour that we’re absolutely looking to acquire Jack and Luke because, ya know, we also have one of their brothers. 

I’d trade QH, but NJD would be decimated after the deal.
It is the way. 
He has far more value to us in his position than he does for them. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

thoughts?

That is reasonably fair probably another mid range prospect… of course, if we have to take some bad salary back to make it work that adds something as well.  The pick is likely to be late in the 1st round, even if we get a 2024 pick.  That means it is a prospect a few years away from being a real player, if ever.  It could also be used as currency though to get a player in the offseason that helps us sooner.  There will be teams in a cap crunch that will have to give up good players at pennies on the dollar.

Players like Bahl, McCleod, Mukamadullin, Zetterberg, etc are what the Canucks need to target as extra pieces to rebuild the prospect pool and aren’t going to be big difference makers on Jersey in the near future.

We also get cap space after this year to use, we are stuck with OEL for the foreseeable future, why not find him a good partner and use him in the offensive role he is actually good at.

Quinn is a bonafide top 2 d-man. He is 10th all time in scoring for Canucks D. Just 250 games into his career. He is 23 years old. He is pretty much at a PPG as a d-man this season. He isn't sheltered either. He has 53% ozone starts. Comparatively speaking. Makar plays at 63% ozone starts. You give up Quinn it's gotta be for the whole bag. All this and he is locked up for 4 more seasons at 7.85mil.

Like, honestly. My asking price would be too high. New Jersey would have to offer me Nemec, Holtz, Mercer, Makhamadullin, a 1st rounder, and whatever cap dumps necessary. And I still probably don't feel right. Nemec is a great prospect. The rest are good prospects. But at the end of the day. They are question marks. Nemec may top out at as a top 4/5 guy. Holtz may bust. Mercer may be a good middle 6 guy. Like, there's too many question marks. We already know what Hughes is. A top 2, scoring threat, D-man. There's only a handful of those guys in the league.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

39 minutes ago, THERETOOL said:

untouchable  .. that's its..  don't give a damn about what the stupid Islanders do or don't need  ...   its a non starter ..   noone you get back would be equal , and quantity for quality is a garbage .      this sounds like the idiots in my fantasy league when they try and offer trades ..   amateur sh!t

Glad you are not GM package you will get for Hughes will set up Canucks for years?

Hughes is great but package coming back with be much better then Hughes..

You with stick with roster we have?? Spinning your wheels in mud for years then?????

Big change is needed and Devils are loaded with top end prospects to make a very good trade..

Might be 4 players  under 23 years old for Hughes? High end players 

Devils will make it happen sooner then later...

Would start with -  1st rounder -- Nemcec -RD 19 - 2nd O/A playing great -- Mercer 21 already in NHL playing well.. 2nd rounder 2024

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1