The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) Timo Meier to Vancouver

MattWN.

Canucks acquire Timo Meier at his full caphit, he meshes well with Petey and Kuzmenko. The Canucks give up NYI 1st round pick (14th overall), Vancouvers third round pick, and prospect Lekkerimaki.

Vancouver signs him to his qualifying offer, 1 year 10 million dollars.

Meier and Petey dominate, with Timo quickly surpassing his career high in points, and goals before the March trade deadline.

Out of nowhere, the Canucks retain 50% of his salary (5 Mil) and move him at the 2024 trade deadline for twice what they paid to acquire him, landing two (albeit late) first round picks, and a blue chip RHD prospect.

Edited by MattWN.
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

I should add, to this meth induced fantasy.. 

The addition of Timo Meier proves to Elias Pettersson that the Canucks are hell bent on turning the ship around quickly. 

In the offseason Petey inks a new 8 year deal worth 9.75.

Petey is now stuck in Vancouver for the duration of the retool.

• MattWN. changed the title to (PROPOSAL) Timo Meier to Vancouver
4 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

You don't acquire a player for the purpose of subsequently trading him away. That's bush league. 

A year later.  Acquired this TDL sold at the 2024 TDL just before he hits UFA.  Can't see Meier committing long term to Vancouver - ie he'll sign his 1 year ELC at 10M like explained in the OP.  Not sure why he would get double the return in a year as this season though.  Doesn't seem all that likely.

7 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Canucks acquire Timo Meier at his full caphit, he meshes well with Petey and Kuzmenko. The Canucks give up NYI 1st round pick (14th overall), Vancouvers third round pick, and prospect Lekkerimaki.

Vancouver signs him to his qualifying offer, 1 year 10 million dollars.

Meier and Petey dominate, with Timo quickly surpassing his career high in points, and goals before the March trade deadline.

Out of nowhere, the Canucks retain 50% of his salary (5 Mil) and move him at the 2024 trade deadline for twice what they paid to acquire him, landing two (albeit late) first round picks, and a blue chip RHD prospect.

Freaking terrible move. Hands down.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What a dangerous, risky proposal.  It's like we're doing an all-in push for the wildcard spot this year and the next.

The OP has clearly fallen victim to those gambling ads.  Because this one is a high roller move.

to be fair...he did say he was on meth.

bad thread is bad, lock er up.

• Haha 1

We already had to deal with one players messy deal, why take on Wilson's even messier contract?   Let some other team deal with him.   This could go wrong in so many ways.   Trying to carve out cap space just for this is JB video game fantasy play right now on NHL2023. 

I like the idea, Lekkerimaki may be a bust, but if he's not he'll take a good 3-5 years to make an impact at the NHL level. NYI's first is a gamble, it's looking like a late and later pick but with Barzal injured who knows. Let's assume it's the 15-16th overall pick this year. That right there is a guy like Gulyayev/Reinbacher/SP so a future top-4 defenceman in maybe 3-4 years time anyway.

I see the thought of bumping up Meier's value though, it's a risky play. We couldn't trade Miller in his late 20's when he was scoring at 2PPG pace, so I doubt we'd have the kahunas to trade a Meier in his peak prime.

Even if he ends up a 50 goal, 90-100 point scorer on Petey's wing, what value could we get for him? Say he's 27, I think it'd be a hard trade - not many teams can afford these superstars. Maybe a top young player, 1st and prospect. Look at how hard it was to trade Bo though, trading a 50 goal scoring Meier would be tricky.

For argument's sake, let's say NJD are still interested and they want scoring now, and perhaps Nemec doesn't make as much of an impact as everyone thinks. Nemec + 1st or 2nd for prime Meier.

So basically, Gulyayev/Reinbacher/SP + Lekkerimaki + 3rd for Nemec + 1st/2nd

I’ve actually thought about the idea of getting Meier because he is very much a top winger and I feel he could do well with Petey. I’d probably only be comfortable if we knew he would sign long term (at least 4 years) and if we clear out one of Garland or Boesers contracts. I just don’t know if we can afford him both with trade pieces and then financially. 

Kuz-Petey-Meier

Podz/Beau-Miller-Garland/Boeser

Theres some nice potential in there.