The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Nikita Zaitsev, 2023 2nd-round pick, 2026 4th-round pick to Blackhawks for future considerations

It's funny that simply dropping $4.5m in cap space is worth a 2nd plus a way off 4th.

But Schenn at $850k is apparently only worth a 3rd, based on rumours.

What a weird time!

Seems to me like a simple way to boost up any Schenn trade is take on a big contract. 

We've got some space which is nice.

1 hour ago, therodigy said:

... So that's how much it will cost to move Myers...

No. Myers is 6million.

2nd rounder to move 4 milliong of cap of a serviceable player sounds about right and trades have been like that for the last 3-4 years. Those CDC fans dreaming of moving cap for nothing is just... dreaming.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Seems like a dumb time to make this deal, what are Ottawa clearing cap space for unless they're getting something juicy or massive cap dumps back themselves? That 2nd is basically a first, a good player will slip out of the 1st and Chicago will snatch them up. Could get a decent defenceman who falls.

Meanwhile we threw a 2nd away to dump Dickinson's 2M. 

11 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Myers is a gong show, period. 

Anyway, my point was and still is, Stillman sucked to begin with when he 

got here and people were complaining he was in the lineup because of the 2nd 

that was traded for him. 

Now, he's playing a much simpler game and it shows. 

Also, if it's all about the decent defensive system, why do Myers and OEL still suck? 

People aren't considering the length of Dickies's deal either.   A second on its own with nothing back ... is a bite out of the elephant.    That said we need to be adding picks and cap space ... to do that well - Horvat, Schenn ... and then we'd need to trade Kuzmenko if we want to continue.   Myers isn't going anywhere soon.     OEL won't be bought out unless we get a freebie next season. This team needs to sign EP and have another bad season and trade whatever they can that doesn't come with a price tag on futures.     About all they can do.   It's going to be a long process, might as well enjoy the ride.      Maybe Brock too.   But not this year and only if he's manages something more.   Retention is the only way we will be moving anyone.    Too many other players in the league GMs will pick before this overpaid group. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Seems like a dumb time to make this deal, what are Ottawa clearing cap space for unless they're getting something juicy or massive cap dumps back themselves? That 2nd is basically a first, a good player will slip out of the 1st and Chicago will snatch them up. Could get a decent defenceman who falls.

Meanwhile we threw a 2nd away to dump Dickinson's 2M. 

Yes maybe a late first.    OTT has a ton of picks - not sure who's second it is either (theirs?  any second?).     Shows what the cost is.   Don't forget it the term on these deals.   Dickie didn't do anything for us.   Was supposed to be a Motte level motor ... didn't see that did we, and not injury prone.   Anyways we do need to add picks - Bear, Schenn, Kuzmenko and maybe Antony B are the only guys, teams might want.   Who out of that group, would you trade?  And what would you expectations be in return? 

16 hours ago, Master Mind said:

We paid a 2nd to move Dickinson's 2.65m

OTT just paid a 2nd to move Zaitsev's 4.5m

Ottawa gave up a 2nd in this year's Draft (rumored to be one of the deepest drafts ever) ours was a 2024 2nd. Plus you are over looking the 4th round pick.

Also Dickinson had 2 full years @ 2.65mil so 5.3mil total. Zaitsev has 1.2 years at 4.5 so about 5.4 mil total.

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

15 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Also tells you that Myers will be easy to move after his 5 million bonus is paid out this summer. 

I'm sure it has been stated many times but he will be owed only a million of real money for next year despite the 6 million cap hit. 

Arizona showed some value today in the ability to get to the floor without paying much real cash.  

I can see a team paying a mid-round pick to take him off our hands. 

I'm sure they would love to take him for a later pick after the bonus is paid. Play him all year for a million in salary, pump his tires and trade him at the deadline (50% retained) for a 2nd. 

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Math hasn’t been this management groups strong suit.

Part of me wonders if they forced that deal because Stillman had the exact salary to make them the first team to make it exactly to the salary cap (to the dollar) in NHL history.

It may have been more math-related than hockey-related.

Chicago are only just starting their rebuild now, and what a time to do it. Very deep draft this year and an average one next year. They have 3 2nd round picks this year. Sure, all those Tampa picks are relatively late in the round, but a pick is a pick. Chicago drafting is one of the best in the league. They can find so many diamonds in the high rounds. 5 picks in the first two rounds of one of the deepest draft in history is insane and they're not done yet - they could easily trade Kane for a 1st and maybe even a 2nd and then they're REALLY cooking.

Look at Dallas - that 2017 (I think?) draft set them up for life with Heiskanen, Robertson and their goalie, a great little trio core. Chicago could basically draft a new core in the next 2 rounds alone.

Ottawa clears 4.5m for only a 2nd and 4th round pick

Canucks clear 1m for a 2nd round pick...

Wow, we got bent over by Chicago!

I would have taken Zaitsev for that return then try to flip him with some retention or my preference retain and move Myers